Sponsored

3+ person rated RTT (roof top tent) over a Gladiator bed...does it fit?

Paladin_JTR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 JLUR
Curious if anyone is running a 3+ person rated RTT on a bed rack and if it hangs over? The only larger tent I have looked at was the Smittybilt XL and based on measurements it seems like it would hang over by almost a foot (off the rear, not the sides) even when butted up against the hard top. Looking for more options. Need enough room for the wife, 5 year old, myself and our 45lb mutt. I am only concerned with the tent fitting in a closed position, I can put support legs on it if need be for an open position, thanks!
Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Would love to hear suggestions. I too am looking for something than can fit myself, my wife, and my 5 & 9 year old daughters. So far, I havent found what Im looking for, but I also am not sure what exactly Im looking for lol.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
This is covered in a couple other threads. Do a search for “Roofnest” And “GlacierGladiator” (poster’s screen name

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paladin_JTR

Paladin_JTR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 JLUR
This is covered in a couple other threads. Do a search for “Roofnest” And “Glacier” (poster’s screen name
Thanks WhatExit, I found the thread "Best RTT for a JT" after searching Roofnest like you recommended. I like the RoofNest idea but man that price tag is way outside the realm for my needs. Thank you!

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This is covered in a couple other threads. Do a search for “Roofnest” And “Glacier” (poster’s screen name
Here you go..
Most tents are going to be bigger than the bed.
This is my custom rack with the Ikamper skycamp 4 person tent. I think the dimensions are like 58"Ă—84"

20191228_152036.jpg

20191228_133952.jpg

Sponsored

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks WhatExit, I found the thread "Best RTT for a JT" after searching Roofnest like you recommended. I like the RoofNest idea but man that price tag is way outside the realm for my needs. Thank you!
Any high quality RTT is not going to be cheap. The skycamp is like $3,800 I think.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
My TJM yalura fits over the bed. Most hard shells won't work for you but there are several soft covers that fold out big enough.

I have a video going up on a new brand awning that is actually quite amazing and they make tents too. If the quality is the same I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

This one is almost the perfect dems for a lower rack mount and is a 3 person.
Tent_Cover_01__87041.1561497504.jpg

https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/18019933-ovs-tmbk-3-person-roof-top-tent-with-green-rain-fly/
At 899 I'd try it. They have a couple other designs too that may fit.
My TJM is very similar design and I've been running it for 6 years now. And was only 900 retail.

Tomorrow when the video loads to the channel it'll have a 10% code that will work tents or awnings.

I've got their Bushveld on order. ( Supposed to be getting first one) but it's a monster.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I seriously must be missing something. Please let me know. What’s the point of a RTT? It makes the vehicle, which is defined by the ability to move, immobile. It’s much more expensive, heavier, permanent, and generally smaller than a regular tent. If I drop a quick set-up tent with my gear, I can drive away and do fun or necessary things elsewhere, and then come back to a fully set-up tent, in which you can stand up, with comfy cots and even a wood-burning stove.

8qgaUWU.jpg

With a RTT, you’re stuck unless you break everything down and start over each time you move. Why?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
My wife has a weird fear of bears, yet is convinced they can’t climb ladders. Go figure, but a RTT works for her. Also, a hard shell can be opened and closed in a matter of minutes and we tend to either relocate each day or explore on foot or via bike. RTTs are the perfect solution for us. Perhaps not for you, but fortunately we are all not the same!

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I seriously must be missing something. Please let me know. What’s the point of a RTT? It makes the vehicle, which is defined by the ability to move, immobile. It’s much more expensive, heavier, permanent, and generally smaller than a regular tent. If I drop a quick set-up tent with my gear, I can drive away and do fun or necessary things elsewhere, and then come back to a fully set-up tent, in which you can stand up, with comfy cots and even a wood-burning stove.

8qgaUWU.jpg

With a RTT, you’re stuck unless you break everything down and start over each time you move. Why?

We typically don't do base camping - we're "overlanders" (from before that was a term) - our trips continue on. And while we can set up and tear down our tent (and air mattress and ground cover and, and...) pretty quickly it'd be nice to pop it up/open at night and close it up in the morning so we're ready to roll with the group and still have time for breffix :)

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Ground tents suck.
I'll either be in my hammock or RTT every time over laying on the ground.

Besides the occasional torrential downpour flooding them out everything about them takes longer to get setup and tore down.
And for the times I am going to base camp I put the tent on a trailer.

Rode out a hurricane in this setup. Not gonna do that in a ground tent.
FB_IMG_1577809948094.jpg

Rafael's Jive

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Scrambler, 09 WRX, 17 Forester, and to many bicycles
I mountain bike at places that allow campers or sleeping in your car in parking lots, but don't allow free standing tents or trailers. A RTT is a livable compromise for short term stays to getting a camper van or slide in camper.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ground tents suck.
I'll either be in my hammock or RTT every time over laying on the ground.

Besides the occasional torrential downpour flooding them out everything about them takes longer to get setup and tore down.
And for the times I am going to base camp I put the tent on a trailer.

Rode out a hurricane in this setup. Not gonna do that in a ground tent.
FB_IMG_1577809948094.jpg
I have tents that will withstand at least as much wind as that thing in your pic above.

We don't sleep on the ground, and my tents don't leak. Some can go up/down in about 5 minutes.

brqNklk.jpg

The tents in this pic withstood 50 - 80 mph winds nonstop for 2-1/2 days 85 miles from the nearest road or building.

jK7eKAC.jpg

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I have tents that will withstand at least as much wind as that thing in your pic above.
source.gif

Many ways to skin a cat. After years and years of doing this type of thing in every kind of environment, I'll take my RTT any day over a ground tent.
Sponsored