3 Questions about the Gladiator

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
Hello everyone! Longtime listener, first time caller here. I am very excited about the Gladiator. I have been a truck guy all my life, and I still need a truck on occasion, but the Gladiator should fill both my needs and wants very nicely. I did have some questions that I hoped you smart people could answer.

First, does anyone know if the published cargo capacity numbers include the weight of the driver and fuel? For example, the Rubi with automatic has a published cargo capacity of 1100#. What I would like to know is, when calculating how much I can carry, do I need to subtract 300# (150# for driver, 150 for fuel#) from that number, or is it already included?

Second, I would like to take my Jeep to the mountains. Does anyone who has experience on mountain passes such as Cinnamon Pass and Engineer's Pass in Colorado think the length of the Gladiator will be a problem?

Third, How do you think these Jeeps will handle snow and ice? I currently drive a Ram 2500 2wd, and snow and ice are its biggest weakness. It is so light in the back that it fishtails very easy. I know that putting weight in the bed helps. Do you all think this will be as big an issue with the Gladiator?

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to being a part of this forum and being a future Gladiator owner.

Have a great day!
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
I wouldn't be overly concerned with the payload.

I've run Engineers pass, and I'd do it again in a Gladiator. The switchbacks might take an extra move to navigate, but not a big deal.

Add weight in the bed and it'll likely be a tank in the snow.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Second, I would like to take my Jeep to the mountains. Does anyone who has experience on mountain passes such as Cinnamon Pass and Engineer's Pass in Colorado think the length of the Gladiator will be a problem?
I have done both in a JKU stock (rental :turkey:) Wrangler, I would not be afraid to take my own Gladiator up there. Just make sure you got the tires for it.
Pretty sure the capacity number is calculated w/o the driver & full fuel tank.
I honestly can't imagine the Gladiator (when in 2WD) driving much different than your Dodge, assuming they both have the same trans type, tires, and differentials/gears. Ice is ice, ya know? I have a Truetrac diff in my Scrambler, I really like how it behaves on slicky surfaces*

*your results may vary

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I can't speak for the Gladiator, haven't seen it said officially... but in the Wrangler world I've always understood the payload to be dry... and a human and gas needs to be considered. But that's always hearsay and nothing from FCA. I know how my JKU drives with just me and how much different feels when I have the whole family in it... but it does fine in either case. I think the engine is fine, it's the suspension in the Rubicon and weight of all the add ons that make it's payload less. I agree with Billy... I wouldn't worry too much about payload, the Jeep will handle it fine.

I am curious how much different the spring sprung vs leaf will be with this truck, but in either case I always just shovel my driveway into the bed of my truck so I have weight in there when it's snowy... and it takes care of itself as melting occurs. If it's weathery, I'll turn on 4 wheel high and the front keep me going... I plan to go with a Sport and get LSD which will also help. I'm not sure what the Rubicon feels like in the snow, but my Sport Wrangler w/ LSD is awesome.

Haven't done any technical switchbacks in anything, so have no opinion or wisdom to offer. If you ask the Tacoma crowd, the extra 6" of turning radius in the Gladiator will ruin everything. I'm not convinced.
Sponsored