Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So when you average that with the 20 MPG that Tommy said they'd been getting around town, that averages out to around 24ish MPG on the combined cycle, which is right on the money from my prior experience with diesel Jeeps.

24 MPG would be a 5 MPG gain over the Pentastar in the JT. Even with diesel fuel $0.40/gal higher, you might still save a few bucks for a Happy Meal each month at that rate.

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
When comparing benefits to Gas VS Diesel, mileage is pretty low on the spectrum. The real benefits are torque, longevity and resale.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When comparing benefits to Gas VS Diesel, mileage is pretty low on the spectrum. The real benefits are torque, longevity and resale.
I would agree......... and people need to consider the fact that all of that fuel savings can be offset by increased costs for initial purchase, maintenance costs (the special needs of a diesel for emissions) and other things.
You may get that back in the end - but until then, you are likely coming out a wash.
This means you haven't saved or gained until you sell it. While you own it, it's not cheaper.

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Screenshot_20200119-195820.jpg
Screenshot_20200119-195634.jpg

Take a long time to recoup that 4k at the pump. About 300k miles. Thats fuel only not including def and other stuff that goes along with a diesel.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Diesels rarely beat the cost math for most owners. It only makes sense if you have the need for the one thing a diesel brings and that is the torque. Everything else is buying on a want feeling.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Where do the costs of having to regear a gutless gasoline-powered vehicle, the costs to increase hp (& void warranty), or the cost to change vehicles all together from lack of satisfaction get acknowledged? :giggle:

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
It’s funny that any diesel threads turn into roi talks, yet I’ve never seen that on any hemi swap threads. What’s the roi for the $2000 spent on the auto trans? People that want the diesel aren’t likely looking at making that $4k back, they are looking for a torquier option to the pentastar. If they are purchasing diesel for roi, they are mistaken but I haven’t seen that argument from anyone waiting for the 3.0.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I do a fair amount of towing (travel trailer, firewood trailer, equipment trailer, dump trailer, etc). I'll use the Ram 1500 and Ram 2500 for my heavy towing needs and I'll use the Gladiator to tow the firewood trailer and small equipment trailer.

I'm not opposed to the Pentastar, but I want to see what the final towing numbers are between the two engines. If the towing numbers are pretty close, then I'll swing for the Ecodiesel. If the tow rating is 1,000 lbs lower for the Ecodiesel, then I might go with the Pentastar.

The tow rating, in my opinion, is very generous on SAE J2807 tested vehicles. For my own purposes, I subtract a good 1,000 lbs from what they say the truck is rated for, especially if I'm driving at highway speeds of 65 mph or higher. At low speeds, I don't mind towing at maximum capacity.

Sponsored

KennyKustom

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I vowed to wait for the diesel. But in the end, the gas won.

I have had 3 diesels in the past, and every single one of them had major def issues ( Canada ) I dont keep vehicles long enough to warrant the initial investment, and worry about the reliability.

Tonopah01

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT auto; 2005 Wrangler TJ Unlimited
Occupation
retired
I've been pleasantly surprised by the get up and go of the V6 Pentastar in my JT. Only 285 HP but the tranny (can we still say that?) seems to maximize the motor and I have really never wanted for power. Off pavement it is just fine too. But I am only seeing 16mpg on average with a 2 in Mopar lift and 35 in Toyos.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Torque yes. Unfortunately, longevity and resale not the case anymore. In fact, considering EcoDiesel's track record, there are actually buyers who are purposefully avoiding them on the used market right now.

In all my years following the EcoDiesel, I have yet to find anybody with high mileage on one that hasn't had significant repairs made to it.

I lease my vehicles, so I don't care as much. I could drive the EcoDiesel and be happy. But if I was a guy who kept trucks for 15 years before replacing them, the EcoDiesel would be low on the list.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I vowed to wait for the diesel. But in the end, the gas won.

I have had 3 diesels in the past, and every single one of them had major def issues ( Canada ) I dont keep vehicles long enough to warrant the initial investment, and worry about the reliability.
I'm still holding out for the diesel, but I'm kind of waiting to see what tuning options are available. As of right now, there's a guy on the Ram Ecodiesel forum who is in the middle of having his 2020 Ecodiesel tuned and deleted. He's already unplugged both EGRs and capped them off. He's now waiting for the tuning to be finished.

I'm wanting a tune that just disables the EGR, but leaves all the emissions intact. I have 81,000 miles on my 2015 Ecodiesel. The only DEF problem I had was a bad DEF injector that kept throwing the same code. One the injector was replaced, I haven't had a problem since. My 2015 is bone stock, but I would have it tuned if I was going to keep it.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I am only seeing 16mpg on average with a 2 in Mopar lift and 35 in Toyos.
The longer range of driving is one way the diesel is helpful for me. Plus, all my vehicles/tractors are diesel powered. I don't own any gasoline powered equipment except for three Stihl chainsaws, but I buy Motomix which already has a 7 year shelf-life. It's easier for me to store diesel than to worry about storing diesel and gasoline. Plus, if I wanted to, I could add a small 15 gallon in-bed auxiliary fuel tank to the Gladiator if I wanted to extend my range even further. I think I just talked myself into the diesel.
Sponsored