33s v 35s & Towing, etc

Afast459

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335
I have a rubicon on order and keep playing with whether I want to do 33 v 35. I know I’d have to recalibrate the speedometer, but would there be any impact to towing on 35s?

The 35s look amazing - just want to make sure it doesn’t impact towing or payload.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
I don't know if anyone here can give a specific number - but your max towing will decrease. The bigger tires add to rotational inertia (harder to accelerate). One Google search brought up a Jalopnik article showing 10% horsepower loss with a 1" larger tire. So using that as a back of the envelope guesstimate it'd drop your max tow around 700-1400lb or so.

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
I don't know if anyone here can give a specific number - but your max towing will decrease. The bigger tires add to rotational inertia (harder to accelerate). One Google search brought up a Jalopnik article showing 10% horsepower loss with a 1" larger tire. So using that as a back of the envelope guesstimate it'd drop your max tow around 700-1400lb or so.
For reference a rubicon has a 7,000lb tow rating with auto and 33” rubber. A sport has a 7,650lb rating with max tow, auto, same 4.10 gears and 32” rubber. I realize springs/shocks are different, but I suspect that effects payload more then tow.
So a 10% reduction per 1” of tire seems reasonable.
Sponsored