35” Tires with 33” spare?

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
I ordered 4 new 35” Duratracs for my incoming Gladiator. Any problem with leaving the spare as the factory 33”? (Rubicon)

I’m assuming as long as I don’t engage a lockers/4WD I would be able to run the 33” in the place of a blown 35” to limp home.

Any issue with that?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT, 1999 Jeep TJ, 2018 Mercedes GLS450
I ordered 4 new 35” Duratracs for my incoming Gladiator. Any problem with leaving the spare as the factory 33”? (Rubicon)

I’m assuming as long as I don’t engage a lockers/4WD I would be able to run the 33” in the place of a blown 35” to limp home.

Any issue with that?
Add the 5th tire and put it in service during rotations. Increases the life of all your tires and eliminates any problems. Cry once buy once. Just my opinion. You could easily do what you described but why “limp” anywhere? A few hundred dollars at most.

OP
OP
Linx

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
Add the 5th tire and put it in service during rotations. Increases the life of all your tires and eliminates any problems. Cry once buy once. Just my opinion. You could easily do what you described but why “limp” anywhere? A few hundred dollars at most.
I’m keeping the steel wheel spare either way so I don’t plan on doing a 5 tire rotation. I bought Mopar beadlocks so I’m having a hard time justifying almost $700 for a spare tire/wheel to rotate.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
If you put it on the front on the road it will pull like crazy.

If you put it on on the trail, you will not be able to engage 4 wheel drive, or lock the differentials. so you may not be able to go home.

Braking will be erratic

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
My father would crawl up out of his grave to beat my butt for doing this. There really are only negatives with this beyond saving a few bucks. Even if you don’t rotate in the spare, put a right-sized tire on the steelie. Your safety and travels won’t be hampered.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
If you do need to use a smaller spare, consider putting it on the right front, and move that original (if it wasn’t the damaged tire already) to the damaged tire location. The right front tire free spins in 2wd due to the front axle disconnect. Off-road, an aired up 33 will be similar in diameter to an aired down 35.

OP
OP
Linx

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
Appreciate the feedback. In my mind I was thinking it’s no different then using a “temporary” spare, but @bgenlvtex brings up a good point. On a trail I may need to use 4wd to get out.

I guess I’ve been lucky with my last 2 Jeeps and never needed the spare. So it seems like a waste. But in the end it’s cheap insurance compared to what recovery costs could be.
Thanks again. Ordering another tire.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Appreciate the feedback. In my mind I was thinking it’s no different then using a “temporary” spare, but @bgenlvtex brings up a good point. On a trail I may need to use 4wd to get out.

I guess I’ve been lucky with my last 2 Jeeps and never needed the spare. So it seems like a waste. But in the end it’s cheap insurance compared to what recovery costs could be.
Thanks again. Ordering another tire.

For trucks I’ve always just bought a well worn tire of the same size off somebody and tucked it underneath since there’s no way I’m doing a 5 tire rotation

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the feedback. In my mind I was thinking it’s no different then using a “temporary” spare, but @bgenlvtex brings up a good point. On a trail I may need to use 4wd to get out
My joke earlier about my father beating my butt is all about this, being prepared. What you might get away with in a neighborhood grocery gettin’ Camry is not necessarily a good idea for vehicles used in more arduous and remote circumstances.

The last tire I had to change on the road was a scary experience. There was no good place to get clear, I was blocking part of a lane with traffic flying by at 55 or so. I got that spare on like I was getting paid by NASCAR. You can go cheaper on the wheel and tire. Just get something you can use readily. Time may be a serious factor. My emergency change was in a hazardous place, but what if I was trying to get myself or someone to medical services? You should be able to get a proper sized spare for low cost that will carry you just fine without worry.

Wet_willy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2020 Jeep Gator Gladiator, 2018 Traverse, 2013 FX4 F-150, 2008 GT500KR “King of the Road”
There’s always a used tire shop. It doesn’t need a ton of tread. Just enough for safe and effective temporary use.
Sponsored