35X12.50R17LT vs LT315/70R17

Wiggy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Sorry for the rookie question. On my JK I was running Duratrac 315/70/17s. I loved the tires - they were quiet and performed well and lasted a LONG time. With my JT, I've ordered the new AEV Savegre II wheels and am looking at running Duratracs again. I see Goodyear also has 35X12.5/17s. What are the main differences between these two sizes? Any suggestions on what is best? Is there another tire brand I should consider? Running mostly highways (85%) and light trails/snow (15%). Appreciate the help!
Sponsored

Camper

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE (on order)
Sorry for the rookie question. On my JK I was running Duratrac 315/70/17s. I loved the tires - they were quiet and performed well and lasted a LONG time. With my JT, I've ordered the new AEV Savegre II wheels and am looking at running Duratracs again. I see Goodyear also has 35X12.5/17s. What are the main differences between these two sizes? Any suggestions on what is best? Is there another tire brand I should consider? Running mostly highways (85%) and light trails/snow (15%). Appreciate the help!
They’re very similar. The 35” tire is measured in inches and the 315 tire is metric. But the 35” is the height of the tire and the 315 is the width…tires are just confusing!! Use this calculator to see the difference.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
They’re very similar. The 35” tire is measured in inches and the 315 tire is metric. But the 35” is the height of the tire and the 315 is the width…tires are just confusing!! Use this calculator to see the difference.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Check the load rating of the two tires. The 35 may be heavier than the 315...

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
Be sure you understand load range of the tire and what you get with each one.
SL - Standard load, normal body ply with regular load capacity, P metric like P255/70R17
XL - Extra load, heavier body ply with high load capacity also P metric
C ply(6) rating, heavier body ply with higher load capacity, LT metric like LT285/70R17
E ply(10) rating, heavier body ply with higher load capacity also LT metric

As you go up in ratings you get more load and a sturdier tire but you sacrifice ride quality and weight. I am a fan of XL for most SUVs and 1/2 ton trucks. Unless used as a work truck or other need. Try to find a tire that fits how you will use the truck. Stick with major brands and pass on the Chinese stuff. They are cheap but I feel not worth it. Low end would be General, Hankook, Firestone up to premier brands like Nitto, Bridgestone, GY. Look at the Nitto Ridge Grappler. Now available in P-metric in some sizes. General Grabber AT is also highly rated.

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
upload_2019-5-22_21-10-42.png

:like:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wiggy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
thank you for all the great info. How much ride difference between at D and E load rating? Very noticeable? Is it better to go just a little smaller for the better handling or is it splitting hairs?

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
thank you for all the great info. How much ride difference between at D and E load rating? Very noticeable? Is it better to go just a little smaller for the better handling or is it splitting hairs?
Very little difference bewteen D and E. Both are going to be hard. A lot of air pressure.

Larger size usually means more weight. Know what you are getting before you buy. If you dont like them it is a lot of driving before you replace them.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The load rating of a tire is at it's recommended air pressure. If you are going to run load range D or E tires on your Jeep you are going to have to run far less pressure than is molded into the side. My 35x12.5r18 Firestones on my JK ran at 26PSI to eliminate the bump steer, keep the tread wear even and keep the fillings in my teeth.

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Instead of using a tire calculator, it might be helpful to go to the mnfr website or tirerack to see the actual dimensional sizes of each specific tires. For example, a 35x12.50r17 BFG ko2 is actually something like 34.6in tall. Others measure larger than 35. Just something to be aware of!

Matt
Sponsored