Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with @Renegade your going to have to go to a 38 to get a true 37. Most are under 36.5 for a 37. I'm looking at the Nexen ROADIAN MTX right now and the Kanati Trail Hogs both in 37 12.5 17 and both around 69lbs. Both seem to measure about 36.3 on the jeep, the Nexen maybe a little taller from some feedback I have been getting. Both can be had for under $1100 mounted and balanced.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Nitto . Gotta go to a 38 otherwise.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Goodyear MTR Kevlar 37x12.5x17 are one of the biggest 37s. They will not fit in the spare tire area - between the frame rails, even with zero air. They claim 36.8 inches and I think that is accurate. I have 4 of them. Here they are compared to the same size Patagonia MTR which I am using as a spare. It will fit between the frame rails.

Jeep Gladiator 37” tire that is really 37β€πŸ€” 8hqg3n

Jeep Gladiator 37” tire that is really 37β€πŸ€” kxNB5

Jeep Gladiator 37” tire that is really 37β€πŸ€” Fu1MWw

GmXgRG.jpg

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Goodyear MTR Kevlar 37x12.5x17 are one of the biggest 37s. They will not fit in the spare tire area - between the frame rails, even with zero air. They claim 36.8 inches and I think that is accurate. I have 4 of them. Here they are compared to the same size Patagonia MTR which I am using as a spare. It will fit between the frame rails.

Jeep Gladiator 37” tire that is really 37β€πŸ€” GmXgRG

You got them mounted yet. I'm curious about how tall they are once mounted. The Nexen claim 36.8 also but are more like 36.5 mounted from the info I've been getting. Plus they are a F Rated with a pretty stout sidewall. Any feed back on the Goodyear's would be appreciated.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
You got them mounted yet. I'm curious about how tall they are once mounted. The Nexen claim 36.8 also but are more like 36.5 mounted from the info I've been getting. Plus they are a F Rated with a pretty stout sidewall. Any feed back on the Goodyear's would be appreciated.

Tire size is something people seem to be very confused about. The size of the tire by itself standing on the ground, verses mounted, verses aired up to nn PSI, verses spinning at xx RPM's with no load vs spinning at xxxx RPM's with xxK pounds is obviously going to be different yes? Kudos to JeeperJamie for being a little more specific. Double kudos for noting the "F rating", obviously a factor.

Point being, the "size" in raised letters on the side is probably not what can be measured at a stand still, but what it expands to at speed. I love me a set of Goodyear MT/R's (been through a few) and I have never had a set of Patagonia's, but sitting next to each other, the Goodyear 37 is taller than the Patagonia 37..... WHY? Is it load rating, YES. Patagonias look like they have very supple sidewalls from what I have seen, but very durable. They are just two totally different tires.

My question is, what do I tell my ECU my tire size is with these huge differences? I've heard you take the "height from the ground to the hub center and multiply by 2". Sounds reasonable until the vehicle starts moving and centrifugal force makes them get larger in diameter. I've also heard measure ACROSS the tire horizontally when on the vehicle at the hub center to get "true height". Sounds a little more reasonable since the squat factor from the weight blah blah ... who the hell knows? But the difference could be a couple of inches in reality. This to me is significant.

Last edited:

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Discount tires will tell the true tire size without measuring.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have run the MTR's. Worst tire I've ever run. Never again. There are much better tires out there. Call it bad luck but my Nittos had no issue on the trails that sliced up my MTR's like butter. Not to mention, the Nittos outlasted my MTRs significantly (in terms of providing traction anyway), and were quieter. I had 3 sets of the MTRs before I switched.

I currently run either a Nitto for hardcore trail use (will be running 42's on the Gladiator) or KO2 (in a 37 -- 36.5" measured) for every day use. I haven't run the Patagonia's -- I think they're more of a hybrid.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have run the MTR's. Worst tire I've ever run. Never again. There are much better tires out there. Call it bad luck but my Nittos had no issue on the trails that sliced up my MTR's like butter. Not to mention, the Nittos outlasted my MTRs significantly (in terms of providing traction anyway), and were quieter. I had 3 sets of the MTRs before I switched.

I currently run either a Nitto for hardcore trail use (will be running 42's on the Gladiator) or KO2 (in a 37 -- 36.5" measured) for every day use. I haven't run the Patagonia's -- I think they're more of a hybrid.
I had 37" KO2s on my JKU and they only measured 35.9 at 36 psi. I'm a little sceptical that one would measure taller on a heavier JT. For reference I also ran them in E rated and that's the only type of BFG I've ever ran was a E Rated one. Ran 2 sets of 35's BFGs and 1 Set of 37's and I'm back on 35's on my JT but they have got to be some of the smaller sized 35's I've ran. Great tire though.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had 37" KO2s on my JKU and they only measured 35.9 at 36 psi. I'm a little sceptical that one would measure taller on a heavier JT. For reference I also ran them in E rated and that's the only type of BFG I've ever ran was a E Rated one. Ran 2 sets of 35's BFGs and 1 Set of 37's and I'm back on 35's on my JT but they have got to be some of the smaller sized 35's I've ran. Great tire though.
They’ve always measured out exactly as advertised on DT’s site for me. Last 4 sets have been 36.5” at 40 psi for me. YMMV i guess. I did have a set of KM2’s back in the day that were super small. But yeah, It’s the largest KO2 they make so it’s more or less a non issue for me. I haven’t measured the new 42” Nittos yet but my 37’s were like 36.7 I believe on the last set. They had almost 30,000 miles on them and were still in great shape! A little noisy at that point but with rotations every 5k they were nicely. No cupping or anything. Downside is noise and weight. They’re heavy MF’ers. Was actually a motivator for me to look at Patagonia’s but never did.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
They’ve always measured out exactly as advertised on DT’s site for me. Last 4 sets have been 36.5” at 40 psi for me. YMMV i guess. I did have a set of KM2’s back in the day that were super small. But yeah, It’s the largest KO2 they make so it’s more or less a non issue for me. I haven’t measured the new 42” Nittos yet but my 37’s were like 36.7 I believe on the last set. They had almost 30,000 miles on them and were still in great shape! A little noisy at that point but with rotations every 5k they were nicely. No cupping or anything. Downside is noise and weight. They’re heavy MF’ers. Was actually a motivator for me to look at Patagonia’s but never did.
That's mounted on the JT. I'd like to see a picture of that for reference if you don't mind. I was strongly considering the KO2s but was wanting something more true to size. I swear they only measured 35.9 on my JKU, I don't see 4 more psi making that much of a difference. Ran mine at 36

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
At 29 psi, which I run, I measured the diameter of my Goodyear MTR 37x12.5x17 mounted on a 17x8.5 rim on the truck with a straight edge and tape measure. It came out to 36.25 inches.

Last edited:

Gliebig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk'n
Vehicle Showcase
Just had my Pat 37's mounted and tire guy said all were so out of round, not to expect a smooth ride. Not very excited right now. Is this common with this size/brand?
Sponsored