First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Technician
Let me say thank you before I start, It will be a long one. I am looking for a Tire carrier for my Gladiator. My 37" tire actually does fit under the truck but I don't want to take a chance of damaging the tire while off road. I see a lot to hitch Tire Carriers but I would actually like to remove my hitch to increase rear approach clearance. Most of the bumper Tire Carriers say they are only good for 35". I have found a few carriers that I like. JCR Off Road Bumper, Expedition One, and my favorite is the Wilco Vertical TailGate. I know I am not the only one who is looking at these. I am looking for others and maybe some that are less than $3k. I thought maybe someone can recommend a custom setup.
Jeep Gladiator 37" Tire Carrier Recent
Sponsored

OP
OP
Appalachia

Appalachia

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Technician
What makes you think you’d damage the tire offroading? The 4 on the ground take a much larger beating.
I forgot to mention that I am running 37x 13.50x17 tires. My spare tire hangs lower than my hitch. You may not go off road as aggressively as i do?

Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
I have 37x12.5 in the rear and it’s been fine on 9 rated tails. the bumper and hitch get hung up more then the tire does. I’m sure the extra inch on the 13.5s don’t help.

BigM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Harley Softail Slim S
Occupation
Instructional Designer, Rutgers University

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I'd leave the extra weight of the spare tire as low as possible. I personally don't think the spare tire is susceptible to major damage and I don't see any threads on this forum with people bashing spares.

If you are concerned, here's a $90 solution....https://spareprotector.com/

Otherwise the Wilco tailgate holder is cool or else you can try to adapt a Rebel Off Road spare tire carrier bracket. They sell Wilco products as well and I'd imagine they have intimate knowledge of both.

Jeep Gladiator 37" Tire Carrier 1628440470762

Last edited:

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Dude! I agree with what others have said. That spare is the last thing underneath that I would worry about. I have a 37x12.5 in the spare location and have wheeled the heck out of my rig in Colorado and Arizona and have not contacted the spare with any obstacles. Could it happen? Sure.

If you are truly worried about it, mount some plywood over it and wheel it on your nastiest trail to see if you make contact. I’m not sure that the cost-benefit-analysis holds up to justify a $2200 tailgate to protect a $600 tire, especially when it is not going to see much action.

As another perspective, I also have 2 JKUR’s that I wheel heavily and are not lifted as much as my JTR and I have no damage to the muffler, etc. which sits in roughly the same place. I know the departure angle is different between the two vehicles but that location is just not where things make contact.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I’m not sure that the cost-benefit-analysis holds up to justify a $2200 tailgate to protect a $600 tire, especially when it is not going to see much action.
^^ Agreed ^^ Don't get me wrong I love spending money on Jeep parts but saving dollars just makes cents