Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Hi!
id love to hear from those running them what your experience has been And what mods you’ve done to accommodate them. Looking for the absolute minimum backspacing necessary on an 8.5” wheel
thanks!
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I know some may jump on me for saying this but I would strongly discourage you going to 39” tires.

Last weekend we went on a pre run for a fall trip and a guy from Ohio drove out to run it with us. He has a Gladiator Rubicon that he just spent $25K.... that’s right 25K in ”upgrades” including Dana 60’s, new gearing, and 39” tires...

Long story short he destroyed his steering gear and had to have it towed to a local dealer... I happened to be at the dealer a few days later and was talking to one of the mechanics who was working on his rig and he said the steering box is not designed to handle 200# tires and that he should have put on a steering box from a 3/4 Ram...

OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I know some may jump on me for saying this but I would strongly discourage you going to 39” tires.

Last weekend we went on a pre run for a fall trip and a guy from Ohio drove out to run it with us. He has a Gladiator Rubicon that he just spent $25K.... that’s right 25K in ”upgrades” including Dana 60’s, new gearing, and 39” tires...

Long story short he destroyed his steering gear and had to have it towed to a local dealer... I happened to be at the dealer a few days later and was talking to one of the mechanics who was working on his rig and he said the steering box is not designed to handle 200# tires and that he should have put on a steering box from a 3/4 Ram...

inwould definitely not attempt to retain factory steering with a D60 axle and bead locks. Do you know if he still had the aluminum box and/or the steering brace ?

nylgt56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Jeep TJ, 20 Jeep JT
Not the KM3s but the TAs I stole from my TJ.

These wheels are 8.5" sitting on a 2" spacer lift. The whole setup is light - 107lbs - 3lbs lighter than my setup on 38s. People often overlook the weight wheel/tire combos, BFG has some of the lightest in the business.

49091921957_886b2af497_k.jpg
IMG_20191018_172650 by Ali Al-Daouk, on Flickr

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator

Not only does each 39" KM3 retail for $~700, but a PSC upgraded steering box system costs $3,000 or a Ram steering box for $850 (Rock Auto). The price of upgrading one item opens a series of Pandora's Boxes.
Sponsored