Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
I have been contemplating retrofitting the Mojave steering wheel for a while since it is much thicker. Additionally, I have wanted paddle shifters since first purchasing the Jeep to augment the tuned shift points for towing or other purposes. The paddle shifters are more to fulfill a habit than a necessity.

I was intrigued by the 392 wheel and shifters so I took the plunge. The paddle shifters should arrive next week but I have installed the steering wheel and new wiring harness. The clockspring connector had all of the necessary pins, so I hope the adaptation will be as simple as coding the option at this point.

The new steering wheel is awesome! The increased thickness is a major improvement. The button pockets on the rear of the steering wheel are shaped slightly differently than my factory wheel. I assume this is because the switch housing is larger. I will confirm this once the shifters arrive, if this is the case the non-392 wheel will not accept the paddle shifters. Other than the different switch pockets, I observed no other compatibility issues.

I have photos to help share the differences, I always feel like I should have taken more.

The part numbers I used are:

Paddle Shifters: I don't know if these are all I need yet, the parts diagrams are difficult to interpret.
68487852AAPaddle Down Switch Right
68487853AAPaddle Down Switch Left

Paddle Shifter Trim Inserts: Parts below are incorrect Updated Jan 30,2022
6DQ32TX7ABPaddle Switch Cover Bezel, Right
6MP85TX7ABPaddle Switch Cover Bezel, Left

Steering Wheel: 7FD41TX7AA
Steering Wheel Wiring: 68531086AA

Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 2022-01-12 20.15.05
Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 2022-01-12 20.26.26
Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 2022-01-12 20.11.59
Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 2022-01-13 17.26.45
Sponsored

Last edited:

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Very cool, would love to do this as well, thank you for sharing. Are you using Jscan for the programming side of things?

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Very cool, would love to do this as well, thank you for sharing. Are you using Jscan for the programming side of things?
I have the Alfaobd and a Launch X431. I hope I can make one of these two work. I have the Tazer but there are no such provisions for this, yet.

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
I have the Mojave, so do those switches on the back do paddle shifting functions too? I’ve only used them for stereo controls.
I don't have the paddle shifters yet. I reinstalled my original radio controls to fill the pockets for now, those do not shift.

Sponsored

Blkout50

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have the Alfaobd and a Launch X431. I hope I can make one of these two work. I have the Tazer but there are no such provisions for this, yet.
Not saying this is the same, but I added a Raptor paddle shifter steering wheel to my wife’s F150 XLT. I just added three wires (up shift, down shift and ground) thru the clock spring and tapped into the manual shift side wiring. I did not have to do any BCM programming.

Blkout50

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
How much did that cost?
About $750, if I remember correctly. That included the Raptor heated steering wheel with paddle shifter, heated steering wheel control module, clock spring and a few other assorted parts and wiring connectors.

I did have to use FORScan to program the BCM for the heated steering wheel.

jeepit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Vehicle Showcase
I have been contemplating retrofitting the Mojave steering wheel for a while since it is much thicker. Additionally, I have wanted paddle shifters since first purchasing the Jeep to augment the tuned shift points for towing or other purposes. The paddle shifters are more to fulfill a habit than a necessity.

I was intrigued by the 392 wheel and shifters so I took the plunge. The paddle shifters should arrive next week but I have installed the steering wheel and new wiring harness. The clockspring connector had all of the necessary pins, so I hope the adaptation will be as simple as coding the option at this point.

The new steering wheel is awesome! The increased thickness is a major improvement. The button pockets on the rear of the steering wheel are shaped slightly differently than my factory wheel. I assume this is because the switch housing is larger. I will confirm this once the shifters arrive, if this is the case the non-392 wheel will not accept the paddle shifters. Other than the different switch pockets, I observed no other compatibility issues.

I have photos to help share the differences, I always feel like I should have taken more.

The part numbers I used are:

Paddle Shifters: I don't know if these are all I need yet, the parts diagrams are difficult to interpret.
68487852AAPaddle Down Switch Right
68487853AAPaddle Down Switch Left

Steering Wheel: 7FD41TX7AA
Steering Wheel Wiring: 68531086AA

2022-01-12 20.15.05.jpg
2022-01-12 20.26.26.jpg
2022-01-12 20.11.59.jpg
2022-01-13 17.26.45.jpg
Nice :)
I assume if we were to add 392 paddle shifter, we might need to activate it for it to work, if the wiring's there.
I saw this guy retrofitting cherokee with mopar srt padles and activating w/ tazer.
Paddles: NO/YES
I wonder if tazer show that function on gladiator.
Maybe folks with tazer can confirm.

Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.24.51 PM

Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.23.56 PM

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Nice :)
I assume if we were to add 392 paddle shifter, we might need to activate it for it to work, if the wiring's there.
I saw this guy retrofitting cherokee with mopar srt padles and activating w/ tazer.
Paddles: NO/YES
I wonder if tazer show that function on gladiator.
Maybe folks with tazer can confirm.

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.24.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.23.56 PM.png
Unfortunately tazer doesn't have this option available for wranglers or gladiators.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Sweet Upgrade! I have been shopping wheels. I will definitely look into this. Is the 392 wheel heated? I am a pansy😁. Paddle shifters will work awesome with the performance upgrades.

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Sweet Upgrade! I have been shopping wheels. I will definitely look into this. Is the 392 wheel heated? I am a pansy😁. Paddle shifters will work awesome with the performance upgrades.
It is heated. :sun::sun::sun:

I'm very excited to use the paddle shifters with the maggie.. and your tune 😀.

friskeljr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Air Force
this is good. looking forward to seeing the update once you get the paddles.
apart from the paddles and button size, is there any other differences between mojave and 392 wheel?
Sponsored