3rd brake light

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
So what is the legality concerns with 3rd brake light I assume unseen when tailgate is down or in half way down position?
Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
That’s a great question. In another post I had asked about what would happen with the back up camera when the tailgate is down. I had suggested that Jeep should consider putting in a second back up camera on the top of the tailgate, countersunk a tad so plywood put on the tailgate would not scratch the lens. They could and maybe should put a second, center brake light also on the top of the tailgate so you could see it when the tailgate is at the center position or in the fully down position.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
In many states, the brake light laws were never updated when the federal standard requiring them was created. So, while the factory has to put them on every vehicle built, it may not be a state law violation for the center light not to function.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
How many years did we make it without a 3rd break light? How many years did we make it without a back up camera? It's not a big deal not to have either one of these items when your tailgate is down.

When someone ask me about legality of something I always reply by saying look it up and read and know it for yourself. Going to court and telling the judge Bob told me it was perfectly legal will not help you out. Even if bob is a police officer.

Ohio Revised code

4513.071 Stop light.

(A) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with two or more stop lights, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1967, motorcycles, and motor-driven cycles shall be equipped with at least one stop light. Stop lights shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle, actuated upon application of the service brake, and may be incorporated with other rear lights. Such stop lights when actuated shall emit a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the stop lights on the rear-most vehicle need be visible from the distance specified.

Such stop lights when actuated shall give a steady warning light to the rear of a vehicle or train of vehicles to indicate the intention of the operator to diminish the speed of or stop a vehicle or train of vehicles.

When stop lights are used as required by this section, they shall be constructed or installed so as to provide adequate and reliable illumination and shall conform to the appropriate rules and regulations established under section 4513.19 of the Revised Code.

Historical motor vehicles as defined in section 4503.181 of the Revised Code, not originally manufactured with stop lights, are not subject to this section.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004 .

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
How many years did we make it without a 3rd break light? How many years did we make it without a back up camera? It's not a big deal not to have either one of these items when your tailgate is down.

When someone ask me about legality of something I always reply by saying look it up and read and know it for yourself. Going to court and telling the judge Bob told me it was perfectly legal will not help you out. Even if bob is a police officer.

Ohio Revised code

4513.071 Stop light.

(A) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with two or more stop lights, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1967, motorcycles, and motor-driven cycles shall be equipped with at least one stop light. Stop lights shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle, actuated upon application of the service brake, and may be incorporated with other rear lights. Such stop lights when actuated shall emit a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the stop lights on the rear-most vehicle need be visible from the distance specified.

Such stop lights when actuated shall give a steady warning light to the rear of a vehicle or train of vehicles to indicate the intention of the operator to diminish the speed of or stop a vehicle or train of vehicles.

When stop lights are used as required by this section, they shall be constructed or installed so as to provide adequate and reliable illumination and shall conform to the appropriate rules and regulations established under section 4513.19 of the Revised Code.

Historical motor vehicles as defined in section 4503.181 of the Revised Code, not originally manufactured with stop lights, are not subject to this section.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004 .
So, it's legal in Ohio too, just like Tennessee. I agree that everyone should check their own state laws for themselves.

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
California law requires the light to be functional, but I don't see anything requiring it to be always visible...

OP
OP
cbl1

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
Wow so much for asking a friendly question - I guess I will look up my state. I will look up on my own elsewhere vs. coming here and seeking opinions. Sorry to annoy you Troybilt.

Last edited:

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I can not imagine any Police officer would stop you for having your tailgate down and not being able to see the 3rd brake light. It would be a rare officer that would probably even know or care that one was required by law, there are just too many more important things for them to worry about. Now if none of your break lights worked that would be a different story.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Wow so much for asking a friendly question - I guess I will look up my state. I will look up on my own elsewhere vs. coming here and seeking opinions. Sorry to annoy you Troybilt.
I am not annoyed the slightest.

I was just trying to say that when you are in question of a law in my opinion and experience it is best to look the code or law and read it yourself. For the most part is is fairly simple to do. Once in a great while I will find a code that I do not understand 100% so I will dive into it deeper. If I can not figure it out on my own I would consult a lawyer, only if needed.

Here is a start for you.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter10/section46.2-1014/

§ 46.2-1014. Brake lights.
Every motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer, except an antique vehicle not originally equipped with a brake light, registered in the Commonwealth and operated on the highways in the Commonwealth shall be equipped with at least two brake lights of a type approved by the Superintendent. Such brake lights shall automatically exhibit a red or amber light plainly visible in clear weather from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle when the brake is applied.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to motorcycles or autocycles equipped with brake lights as required by § 46.2-1012.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I personally think that if Jeep really wanted to make huge customer gains then they might think about going the extra mile, try doing something that no manufacturer has done before and offer two totally brand new items, a second brake light and a second camera, both located at the top of the tailgate and both would work when the tailgate is down. Who cares about weather or not it’s a legal requirement? Just saying they should think outside the box and offer new products also outside the box. This is a way to get miles and miles way ahead of the competition. And I can guarantee you it will be well received.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I personally think that if Jeep really wanted to make huge customer gains then they might think about going the extra mile, try doing something that no manufacturer has done before and offer two totally brand new items, a second brake light and a second camera, both located at the top of the tailgate and both would work when the tailgate is down. Who cares about weather or not it’s a legal requirement? Just saying they should think outside the box and offer new products also outside the box. This is a way to get miles and miles way ahead of the competition. And I can guarantee you it will be well received.
So put a camera and a light on top of the tailgate that no one needs or will use and charge them extra for it. Sounds like a great marketing strategy. If they where really thinking they would put a few on the dip stick while they are at it.

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I agree with the prior comment regarding checking the laws of your jurisdiction. In the case of the third brake light, that may not be easy. In Texas, the motor vehicle code section on brake lights does not require them. However, there is another section of law that says something to the effect that any component required to be on a vehicle at the date of manufacture per federal regulation must be present for the vehicle to pass inspection. Hence the third brake light requirement is incorporated by reference. Pretty hard to track down, even for a lawyer. So much so that I am not going to look it up to give you the cite, but you get the idea. This sort of provision can suck in a host of things in the Code of Federal Regulations and give them the force of law even though your legislature did not pass them.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I agree with the prior comment regarding checking the laws of your jurisdiction. In the case of the third brake light, that may not be easy. In Texas, the motor vehicle code section on brake lights does not require them. However, there is another section of law that says something to the effect that any component required to be on a vehicle at the date of manufacture per federal regulation must be present for the vehicle to pass inspection. Hence the third brake light requirement is incorporated by reference. Pretty hard to track down, even for a lawyer. So much so that I am not going to look it up to give you the cite, but you get the idea. This sort of provision can suck in a host of things in the Code of Federal Regulations and give them the force of law even though your legislature did not pass them.
While i agree its good to know your state laws, even if it is perfectly legal, that doesn't stop cops from pulling you over cuz "they know better".

It can just create a hassle. I'm not concerned about the 3rd brakelight.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
While i agree its good to know your state laws, even if it is perfectly legal, that doesn't stop cops from pulling you over cuz "they know better".

It can just create a hassle. I'm not concerned about the 3rd brakelight.
I think if you said, “Yes sir, I do have a perfectly operational 3rd brake light, right there on the tailgate where the factory put it,” you would be fine even if you did get pulled over for something. I really don’t foresee this being an issue.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
In MN all bulbs need to be functioning in factory lights. But there's no law that says you need the third brake light or need to keep the factory equipment. I only have a pair a trucklite brake lights on my TJ
Sponsored