3rd shock over rear axle

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
So a while back I was under my truck and noticed a pair of mounting tabs on a frame cross memeber next to the rear of the fuel tank... thought it odd but didn’t give it another thought

fast forward and I was just watching some YouTube videos and saw a horizontal shock from these same tabs to the top of the diff. Now obviously it’s there for axle wrap...my question is why is it missing on mine...

Mine is a sport S with max tow. The one in the video was a sport S with a 6 speed.
Did only the manual trans ones get this…? Would there be any, worth while, benefit from adding it to mine?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There was another post recently from someone who has this, including a picture of the shock. Do a Google search for Power Hop Damper and you will find information on the RAM 2500 and the kit available for it. It has been too cold for me to go out and check to see if the top of the axle is ready to accept the bracket, or if the RAM bracket might work. With a diagram, the necessary parts could be ordered, if they are available for purchase. My search did not find a specific kit available for the Gladiator.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It won't prevent wrap but will prevent hop when under high torque situations. Unlikely on an automatic, but possible when nailing it with a stick. It's one reason my cars have staggered shocks and my 70 had torque links. It's more of a problem with leaf springs. Otherwise the links on a coil spring axle should prevent any need for such a thing. I can't see any need unless you have enough engine torque with a stick to have wheel hop. That's where the leaf spring winds up as tight as it can before the tires loose traction and let it unwind, then the tires grip, the springs wind up, and so on.
IMO you'd have to have some hefty torque and a stick or be doing serious off-road to need such a thing.
I had to put Caltracs on my 73 because the darned thing would literally go sideways on me under heavy throttle. It became deadly.
You've got 5 links on the rear axle, is that not correct? Axle wind-up? Hmmm, then their links aren't doing a good job or you have some crazy torque from that little 3.6, IMO.
Test your need by being in low and taking off full throttle, giving it everything it's got on a surface that should grip the tires.
If all the axle housing does is twist slightly, then there's really no issue. If you have wheel hop, then maybe............
Sometimes people put on things that don't do anything but look cool or macho - it's hard to imagine a JT with stock engine and an automatic suffering axle wrap that leads to wheel hop on these. I guess it's possible, I haven't hammered mine that hard....... yet.

OP
OP

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Thanks for the info guys !
I won't worry about it then, I'm not hard on the thing at all

Radglad26

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JK Rubicon & 2017 JKU Sport & 2020 JT Gladiator Sport S
I have a Sport S with 6-speed and have it. Dealer where I bought mine said it was the first one they saw even though they had other manuals in stock. FWIW, the axle is set up for mounting of the bracket.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sport S with 6-speed and have it. Dealer where I bought mine said it was the first one they saw even though they had other manuals in stock. FWIW, the axle is set up for mounting of the bracket.
That's interesting as a reason some of us with our cars convert to a 4 link system - moving away from leaf springs - is to get away from axle wrap issues - and these trucks shouldn't have such issues IF the link system is solid enough. MAYBE there's not enough offset or distance on the links and they have some issues?
Still shouldn't be an issue with an automatic. Not with the HP and torque ratings of these engines.

Radglad26

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's interesting as a reason some of us with our cars convert to a 4 link system - moving away from leaf springs - is to get away from axle wrap issues - and these trucks shouldn't have such issues IF the link system is solid enough. MAYBE there's not enough offset or distance on the links and they have some issues?
Still shouldn't be an issue with an automatic. Not with the HP and torque ratings of these engines.
Agreed. When I saw it the first thing I thought of was a "pinion snubber" that were on some of the old Mopar muscle cars. I swear I feel it in the driveline at different times.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Anybody got a picture of this?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Damn, that's an actual shock. And an expensive Bilstein at that. That's a better shock than the four they use at the corners. Lol. That came from the factory?? Interesting.. I wonder if the "transmission clunk" that we've seen discussed in multiple threads could be cured with that?

Sponsored

Radglad26

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure about the transmission clunk but, like I said, I can tell its there at certain times.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting as with the "5 link system" no such thing should be needed assuming proper geometry with the links as they should hold the differential relatively level the whole time to prevent drastic change in the u-joint angles and that's especially important with a short driveshaft. Longer shafts can get by with more angle differences but short shafts need to keep the angles to a minimum and the DIFFERENCES low.
The shock wouldn't prevent the pinion climb, but would merely slow it under abrupt acceleration - the sort of forces that caused the driveshaft on my 73 to snap (2500 stall I'm coming in close to max torque) - and on a 55 Chevy wagon I had - that baby BENT the leaf springs and ended up with pinion pointing north.
A shock slows or dampens......... so they must be compensating for something, but with an automatic?

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
I agree that’s the 4 link rear suspension SHOULDNT need a shock here ... but perhaps the bushings were designed to allow lots of movement and the shock is there to control the excessive movement ... but I really have NO IDEA

As a datapoint, my Sport S with 6 speed does have the same shock
Very interesting as with the "5 link system" no such thing should be needed assuming proper geometry with the links as they should hold the differential relatively level the whole time to prevent drastic change in the u-joint angles and that's especially important with a short driveshaft. Longer shafts can get by with more angle differences but short shafts need to keep the angles to a minimum and the DIFFERENCES low.
The shock wouldn't prevent the pinion climb, but would merely slow it under abrupt acceleration - the sort of forces that caused the driveshaft on my 73 to snap (2500 stall I'm coming in close to max torque) - and on a 55 Chevy wagon I had - that baby BENT the leaf springs and ended up with pinion pointing north.
A shock slows or dampens......... so they must be compensating for something, but with an automatic?

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
When wiring up my Euro spec rear foglights yesterday, I saw that I have this Bilstein shock above the rear differential. I also have the 6-speed manual. Had to search it out, only because I hadn't seen it on any YouTube video. Guess it's a manual thing only.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
When wiring up my Euro spec rear foglights yesterday, I saw that I have this Bilstein shock above the rear differential. I also have the 6-speed manual. Had to search it out, only because I hadn't seen it on any YouTube video. Guess it's a manual thing only.
It is just on the manuals. From what I've read, FCA added it to the trucks after switching from leaf to coil springs.
Sponsored