Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
So I have a JTR currently on order, I have not finalized the order yet. I have been trying to find more information on the 4:1 rock-trac T-case. i am new to the Jeep 4x4 systems as this will be my first Jeep. (sold my Taco) the type of wheeling I plan on doing with the truck involves mud, snow, rocks ect. I like to drive technical trails and get out deep in the woods to hunting and camping sights. I will be living in WA for the most part and it has a rainy season.

looking for better clarification on this case, the small description from the build website states "The Rock-Trac® Full-Time 4x4 system combines a 4:1 low gear ratio tailored for low speed rock crawling with the convenience of a a 4H-Auto mode that will automatically engage and disengage 4WD as needed to maintain traction."

would the auto 4H serve well in rain and snow on the road? or is it only good for off pavement as well?

thanks for the help as any is appreciated.
Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Said you had one on order then it isn't finalized...so not on order, lol.

Anyway - Comes from the Wrangler, just starting in 2021 for the Gladiator.

The 4:1 Rubicon case has a larger chain and 4:1 crawl ratio, where the stock (sport and other models) one is 2:73 irrc. The auto 4H just comes on if your wheels start to slip. Since all JTs and all wranglers can just be manually pulled into 4H while moving this feature basically just does it for you.

4H, or 4L, isn't pavement friendly. Needs slippage or wide turns.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
all have a 1:1 4Hi which is what you'll typically use in light mud, snow, and on the road in sketchy traction scenarios. The 4:1 case or the 2.73:1 case in the rest of the trucks if only for 4Lo and it's 100% a personal preference.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Said you had one on order then it isn't finalized...so not on order, lol.

Anyway - Comes from the Wrangler, just starting in 2021 for the Gladiator.

The 4:1 Rubicon case has a larger chain and 4:1 crawl ratio, where the stock (sport and other models) one is 2:73 irrc. The auto 4H just comes on if your wheels start to slip. Since all JTs and all wranglers can just be manually pulled into 4H this feature basically just does it for you.

4H, or 4L, isn't pavement friendly. Needs slippage or wide turns.
So, how does it disengage 4H? Does the shifter move down automatically? Here I thought the Rock-Trac was more of a 4WD system.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
So, how does it disengage 4H? Does the shifter move down automatically? Here I thought the Rock-Trac was more of a 4WD system.
They're thinking the Selc-Trac system that I thought was going to be offered as a 4:1 in the Rubicon JL for 2021. Definitely not common behavior of the current JLR/JTR though.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
They're thinking the Selc-Trac system that I thought was going to be offered as a 4:1 in the Rubicon JL for 2021. Definitely not common behavior of the current JLR/JTR though.
Its both now. Now with the Rubicon the shifter will have a 4-auto selection.

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I was on the same line of thinking, the way the description is, it seems to act like a All Wheel Drive system, moving from two to four wheels when slippage is detected. again still confused on the rubicon rock trac system.

Reactions: Len

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Once the 4hi auto is engaged it distributes power to the front wheels as traction is needed. Works great on wet slippery roads.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Selec-Trac (or Rock-Trac FT on the Rubicon) has 5 positions on the T-case shifter instead of the standard T-case's 4:
*2H (Two-Wheel Drive High Range)
*4H AUTO (Four-Wheel Drive Auto High Range) <-- This one is unique to the Full Time transfer cases
*4H PT (Four-Wheel Drive Part Time High Range)
*N (Neutral)
*4L (Four-Wheel Drive Low Range)

As others have stated, the Full Time 4WD setting (4H AUTO) is mostly for use ON ROAD where there is intermittent grip. Rain, scattered patches of ice or snow, etc. This range can be driven on hard paved surfaces with no drivetrain binding, but likely will negatively impact your fuel mileage to some degree.

Off road, where you will encounter consistently less-grippy surfaces, "4H PT" (or, as its labeled in non-Full-Time transfer cases, just "4H") will most often be what you would choose. If this mode is selected on dry or mostly dry pavement, drivetrain bind (and possible damage) can occur.

There are four different models of the transfer case:
  • The Rock-Trac on the Rubicon has 4 positions and a 4:1 low range in "4L".
  • The Rock-Trac Full time on the Rubicon has 5 positions (including 4H AUTO) and a 4:1 low range in "4L".
  • The Command-Trac on non-Rubicon models has the 4 positions and a 2.72:1 low range in "4L".
  • The Selec-Trac on non-Rubicon models has 5 positions (including 4H AUTO) and a 2.72:1 low range in "4L".

Last edited:

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I was on the same line of thinking, the way the description is, it seems to act like a All Wheel Drive system, moving from two to four wheels when slippage is detected. again still confused on the rubicon rock trac system.
Yes Sir!!!! That is what it is exactly!! You are correct. They added it from the G Cherokee, Cherokee, Renegade and the other model "Jeeps". It is an added feature for on road driving in foul weather.

Sponsored

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase
When I explain it to customers buying Jeeps, I tell them it's the usable 4WD on the road. Usually we see these on a lot of Sahara trims on Wranglers. So 80% of Sahara drivers are keeping their Jeeps on road. Telling them that they can just put it into 4WD Auto and not have to worry about speed restrictions or weather conditions helps tremendously.

On a Rubicon, I think it's a valuable option because it gives you just ease of mine knowing you can put it in 4WD Auto and forget about it. You don't have to constantly switch on a snowy day between 4WD for back roads then back to 2WD when you get on a highway. It depends on where you live too, anything south of Kentucky might not need this option, because 2WD will work in most conditions. The traction control on these things work really well.

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
I wanted this option, but they don't offer it with the diesel, anyone know why?

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
When I explain it to customers buying Jeeps, I tell them it's the usable 4WD on the road. Usually we see these on a lot of Sahara trims on Wranglers. So 80% of Sahara drivers are keeping their Jeeps on road. Telling them that they can just put it into 4WD Auto and not have to worry about speed restrictions or weather conditions helps tremendously.

On a Rubicon, I think it's a valuable option because it gives you just ease of mine knowing you can put it in 4WD Auto and forget about it. You don't have to constantly switch on a snowy day between 4WD for back roads then back to 2WD when you get on a highway. It depends on where you live too, anything south of Kentucky might not need this option, because 2WD will work in most conditions. The traction control on these things work really well.
thanks for the clarification, do you know if it changes the joints on the front axle? some have speculated it changes the U joints to CV joints, do you happen to know? thanks Moonridge.

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the clarification, do you know if it changes the joints on the front axle? some have speculated it changes the U joints to CV joints, do you happen to know? thanks Moonridge.
I have no clue in the Gladiators, from what my service department tells me, there was no difference in the Wranglers.
Sponsored