Sponsored

4 extra gallons......where is it? Look MOM I can read with my eyes closed!!

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I see on build sheets "4 extra gallons." Is it hiding? Is it part of the fuel gauge? I just want to know. with gas at almost $6 a gallon here i end up pushing the envelope. The smart system tells me low miles I have a 33 gallon tank and when i fill it always goes to 19 maybe 20 gallons on a fill. Is the stock tank 18 and the 22 tank the extra 4? It would suck to have an 18 gallon tank in these. Just a conversation piece here!
Sponsored

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR-HVY 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Build Thread
Link
The "4 extra gallons" you see on the build sheet means there were 4 gallons of gas in the tank when it was delivered.
I had 4 extra, and full tank on some of my paperwork, which doesnt jive well.

Is a Rubicon JT really 22 gallons?

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
The fuel tank size is really awkward. Mine is equipped with an 18 gallon but it’s definitely taken 19.5 gallons before…

when they say “18” is it really 18 with a reserve?

To add to the strange it took 19.5 and still had a positive number for range before empty…. ?
(Diesel tank- supposedly diesel tank is 18 and has is 20….)

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR-HVY 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Build Thread
Link
I'm going to grab a gas can, and run her down. This whole 6 GALLONS left at low fuel 25 miles to empty is ridiculous.

Granted i only put 800 miles on my JTR, should take a few thousand for the fuel mileage to stabilize via break-in and what not. I drive distances, and need a more accurate range.

Gas can and math is my course of action. This is the most reserved gas estimation I have yet experienced.

Sponsored

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
The truck has a 22 gallon fuel tank if it has a 3.6L.

The fuel gauge is extremely conservative. From what I've seen you could run it all the way to zero miles and still get to a gas station. Also keep in mind, as long as the fuel tank is, 2-4 gallons spread out in the bottom isn't much at all for the fuel pump to pick up.

I just put gas in mine when its down to 50 miles to E or so. No big deal.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Also keep in mind, as long as the fuel tank is, 2-4 gallons spread out in the bottom isn't much at all for the fuel pump to pick up.
Also keep in mind, the fuel pump is at the rear of that tank. If you're running on fumes, and go down a hill (whether on a trail or on a road) all the fuel moves to the front and you could stall out.

Happened to me in my JK...

As soon as my "Fuel Level Low" indicator comes on, I just reset my Trip 2 odo and try and get gas within the next 30 miles.

Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Marketing nonsense. The dealer lost money when they filled my diesel tank…lol.

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Do these have electric in-tank fuel pumps? I assume they do since most (all?) new vehicles do now. If so, something to keep in mind is that the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline in the tank. If you make a habit of always running it down to fumes before every fill-up, you're shortening the life of your pump. I'm betting that's why the fuel gauge is so conservative. I try to refuel when it gets down to somewhere between an eighth to a quarter-tank for that reason.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Somebody should try caring 5 gallons or 10 gallons of gas in their bed and then run out the gladiator just to see how far we can actually go past the low fuel light

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I went an additional 36 miles after my gauge was dropped all the way to the bottom. The display showed 3 miles to empty the entire time. I have a diesel, so the tank isn't as large as the gasoline version. When I filled up, I put in 18.3 gallons.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
My tanks is like 18/19 gal
Diesel is 19 gallons, they had to put a smaller fuel tank in order to make space for the def tank.
Sponsored