Sponsored

4200 miles before it started marking its territory

• Thread starter Deleted member 24880
  • Start date
  • Watchers 10

Deleted member 24880

Just noticed 1 small spot of oil on the garage floor a few days ago and it has continued to multiply. Looks to be leaking between the engine and tranny. Hope it’s not the rear main seal. Guess I will schedule an appointment tomorrow.

A44942BD-FD63-45D6-98DB-F6CE52FD2564.jpeg

B6214D7B-0942-41E5-B896-9F5EE4E7CBD2.jpeg
Sponsored

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
Well, that stinks but at least the warranty should cover the work. Let us know the results.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That sucks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

Well it’s at the dealer now. I’m anxiously awaiting the diagnosis. Looking at 4-6” of snow in the next 24 hours and I bet I won’t have my toy back to play in it with either.

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

The dealer has had it now 2 full days and still cannot figure out where the leak is coming from. Added dye to the oil but have not seen any dye yet. Pretty sure it’s just sitting there with very little being done to it. Ridiculous that they cannot have an idea about it after 2 days.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
The dealer has had it now 2 full days and still cannot figure out where the leak is coming from. Added dye to the oil but have not seen any dye yet. Pretty sure it’s just sitting there with very little being done to it. Ridiculous that they cannot have an idea about it after 2 days.
Hello BryanG,
We are certainly sorry to hear about you recent concern and understand your frustration associated with your situation. Please keep us updated with your servicing appointment. If you need any additional assistance throughout this process, please feel free to reach out to us.
Laura
JeepCares

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

Hello BryanG,
We are certainly sorry to hear about you recent concern and understand your frustration associated with your situation. Please keep us updated with your servicing appointment. If you need any additional assistance throughout this process, please feel free to reach out to us.
Laura
JeepCares
I am still currently awaiting news. They have had the Jeep for now over 20 working hours (since 2/25 at 0800) and they just keep saying “it’s been driven and we are waiting for the shop foreman to inspect it to see the dye”. I’m considering picking it up and taking it to someone who can get it fixed or at least diagnosed in a timely fashion.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've seen that several times with new JLs and JTs. One guy speculated that it was actually coming from the A/C compressor.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I am still currently awaiting news. They have had the Jeep for now over 20 working hours (since 2/25 at 0800) and they just keep saying “it’s been driven and we are waiting for the shop foreman to inspect it to see the dye”. I’m considering picking it up and taking it to someone who can get it fixed or at least diagnosed in a timely fashion.
Hello BryanG,
Thank you for the heads up. We just responded to your most recent private message, but wanted to touch base with you here as well. Hope to hear from you soon.
Laura
JeepCares

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

I've seen that several times with new JLs and JTs. One guy speculated that it was actually coming from the A/C compressor.
Well they don’t use motor oil in the AC system so I know mine is not leaking from the AC. Going to pick it up tomorrow and we will see how long before it leaked again.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
90% of the time oil from the back of the engine when the source is difficult to find, is a leaky valve cover. The good news is that it is the easiest of fixes. Good luck!

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

90% of the time oil from the back of the engine when the source is difficult to find, is a leaky valve cover. The good news is that it is the easiest of fixes. Good luck!
There is NO oil anywhere but the picture where the bell housing and engine meet. It’s crazy it leaks for me but not the shop. Glad it’s under warranty. Thanks for the reply

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Remember, the oil viscosity is 0w-40 and these engines run clean. It is always much easier to see where it collects vs. where it runs. In fact, it will be almost impossible to see with the naked eye. I know the dealer is looking at it, but if you get it back again unfixed. Take a blue shop paper towel and dab the back of the valve cover at the head holding it in place for a second or two and then inspect the towel. One dab, one inspection, working your way from the back of the VC down to where you know the leak is. It will be hard to get your hand in there, but give it your best shot. Any wet spot will be absorbed by the towel. Report back.

Thed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 MX-5 Miata, '01 Rodeo, '96 Ranger, '17 Ducati Supersport
I know the wait sucks but just bear with it. Dealer tech here to hopefully smooth things over.

When repairs/issues are addressed under warranty, the technician usually has to follow a strict process or procedure with full documentation to prove to the manufacturer that A) the issue is due to a faulty part or workmanship, or B) there is actually an issue at all. If it was up to the tech, they'd have the tranny on the ground already and looking for where the oil is coming from. But FCA, who's warranty department has dealt with this enough to know how not to get burned, will have a procedure to follow so no excess time is spent on the issue. If the procedure isn't followed, they'll deny the claim and either make the dealer eat it (which they should) or try to get you to pay for it (which they absolutely SHOULD NOT).

I know the wait sucks, but all of these measures are taken to keep the warranty dept. from excessive expenses. This in turn keeps cars cheaper, and dealers following these procedures will spend less on the service dept. That allows your dealer to give you slightly better deals.

OP
OP

Deleted member 24880

Not sure how they couldn’t find the leak but I now think it’s the oil pan gasket. You can see where it’s around the pan gasket really good from the passenger side with the dye and a black light. I have it scheduled at a different dealership next week. The first dealer not being able to find the leak was frustrating but when I picked it up and they left it with little to no gas after putting 109 miles on it that was the last straw. I’m sure someone will think I’m being petty but I paid a lot of money for this truck and expect more out of a repair shop. I will update the thread when I know for sure where the leak was coming from. I have a video with the black light but cannot upload a video to this website for some reason.
Sponsored