4WD Shifting

Molaram

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Hi All! Having a great time enjoying my 2020 Overland 6MT. I smile every time I get in! Wondering about the 2H/4H/4L shifter and what should be considered "normal" from an ease of movement perspective. I would describe changing from 2H to 4H as very stiff and requiring a fair bit of force to get the shift lever to move. Is this something is normal/expected? First Jeep for me so not sure what to expect.

Thanks in advance your thoughts

Gord
Fernie, BC
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Hi All! Having a great time enjoying my 2020 Overland 6MT. I smile every time I get in! Wondering about the 2H/4H/4L shifter and what should be considered "normal" from an ease of movement perspective. I would describe changing from 2H to 4H as very stiff and requiring a fair bit of force to get the shift lever to move. Is this something is normal/expected? First Jeep for me so not sure what to expect.

Gord
Fernie, BC
Have you read the procedure in the Manual ?

Going from 2HI to 4HI you take your foot off the accelerator but remain in drive ... Move to 4HI and go ... It can be a bit stiff but it goes and loosens up over time ...

Going to 4LO (at least in the manual) says to be rolling but to shift in to neutral and then move (in one motion) all the way to 4LO ...

Either way, it is second nature once you get used to it and the systems loosen up ...

But it can be very stiff at first ...

And you should check the manual yourself ... Im gong by memory so I reserve the right to be a bit off ...

OP
OP
Molaram

Molaram

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Have you read the procedure in the Manual ?

Going from 2HI to 4HI you take your foot off the accelerator but remain in drive ... Move to 4HI and go ... It can be a bit stiff but it goes and loosens up over time ...

Going to 4LO (at least in the manual) says to be rolling but to shift in to neutral and then move (in one motion) all the way to 4LO ...

Either way, it is second nature once you get used to it and the systems loosen up ...

But it can be very stiff at first ...

And you should check the manual yourself ... Im gong by memory so I reserve the right to be a bit off ...
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Yes I have gone over the procedure in the OM, it was quite helpful. I don't experience any grinding or the like when I am shifting...it is just super stiff. Thanks again for your comments!

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Yes I have gone over the procedure in the OM, it was quite helpful. I don't experience any grinding or the like when I am shifting...it is just super stiff. Thanks again for your comments!
MrZappo may have missed that you said MT, since he referred to leaving it in Drive.

That may not matter, though. I also have MT and the transfer case shift is a bit stiff, but I would not characterize it as taking a fair bit of force. But these terms are very subjective.

Maybe you can find someone nearby with Gladiator or Wrangler to compare. Or, if you trust your dealer . . .

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Surprised the dealership you bought it from didn’t walk you through the operation of it.
It is very stiff at first, esp if your trying to do it stationary for the first time.
It will loosen up a bit with time and you’ll know what it feels like more when you do it a few times.
No real difference between the MT and AT in the operation.

Sponsored

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
When I first tried to move into 4H from 2H I thought something was wrong as it was extremely stiff compared to some of the other 4WD trucks I've owned. I actually called the dealer to find out if there was something special you had to do like, push down, pull up or something.

Nope just give it a firm pull or push.

Gord
Fernie, BC

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I think because of the FAD the JT/JL are not as easily shifted from 2H to 4H as the JK, because when in 2H the front output of the transfer case is not turning when in the vehicle is in motion as it is with the JK. Defiantly easier to shift from 4H to 2H, I have noticed while moving after you shift from 4H to 2H and quickly shift back to 4H (before the FAD disconnects) that it is a lot smoother shift.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Gord....fellow BC'er...it is stiff, and normal....I've had numerous 4wd vehicles from FCA and they are all the same when going from 4L to 4H, but as others have said will loosen a bit, but will still be "stiff" this is a good thing, you do not want to have it loose feeling when you are wheeling, and accidentally hit it with your leg/ knee and shift out of 4H or 4L, may not happen but......

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I think because of the FAD the JT/JL are not as easily shifted from 2H to 4H as the JK, because when in 2H the front output of the transfer case is not turning when in the vehicle is in motion as it is with the JK. Defiantly easier to shift from 4H to 2H, I have noticed while moving after you shift from 4H to 2H and quickly shift back to 4H (before the FAD disconnects) that it is a lot smoother shift.
What FAD are we talking about?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Molaram

Molaram

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Hey Gord....fellow BC'er...it is stiff, and normal....I've had numerous 4wd vehicles from FCA and they are all the same when going from 4L to 4H, but as others have said will loosen a bit, but will still be "stiff" this is a good thing, you do not want to have it loose feeling when you are wheeling, and accidentally hit it with your leg/ knee and shift out of 4H or 4L, may not happen but......
Hey! Greetings from Fernie. 20 cm coming down here today...lol. Nice tires on the grey gladiator model in your profile pic. What are those?

OP
OP
Molaram

Molaram

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Right on the money. 4H to 2H is easy smooth...then shifting quickly back to 4H is much easier.
Sponsored