First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Occupation
retired
Jeep is offering a 4XE (electric hybrid) in the 2021 Wrangler. Will this be offered in the Gladiator anytime soon ? ? ?
Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
It has not been announced yet. I did read that the battery is kept under the rear seats which may require some significant re-design for a gladiator version.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
4xe isn't as glorious as some make it out to be. Many argue its not really advantageous off road because the batt will die too soon to get any real lengthy use. I'd rather see the etorque v6. Diesel near me has been dropping little by little so even that option is slowly more favorable. A true hybrid would be best. I'd give up spare tire for it, but if u knick anything on a hybrid, or that 4xe......

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I'm not an electrical engineer an I don't play one on TV.....
But I'd wonder how many solar panels you would need to overland an EV Gladiator?

4xe isn't as glorious as some make it out to be. Many argue its not really advantageous off road because the batt will die too soon to get any real lengthy use. I'd rather see the etorque v6. Diesel near me has been dropping little by little so even that option is slowly more favorable. A true hybrid would be best. I'd give up spare tire for it, but if u knick anything on a hybrid, or that 4xe......

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
4xe isn't as glorious as some make it out to be. Many argue its not really advantageous off road because the batt will die too soon to get any real lengthy use. [snip] A true hybrid would be best.
The 4XE is a true hybrid.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not an electrical engineer an I don't play one on TV.....
But I'd wonder how many solar panels you would need to overland an EV Gladiator?
Several large panels, as I've done the math before for a nissan leaf. It even came with a small one on rear wing to charge main battery. Also, voltage typically isn't the same as regular battery. Most systems anywhere from 24-48 volts, or higher, pending and type of application (hybrid, plug in, plug in hybrid, mild hybrid...)

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
When the battery dies the onboard generator continue to supply electricity to the electric motor. It allows you to continue using it (The electric motor ) even if you haven't charged the battery prior to starting your car. You don't need to plug it in every time to get the benefits of the electric motor. As long as you have gasoline you will enjoy the full 375 hp. What you will lose is the ability to drive on electric only if you do not pre-charge.... so this would also be a "true hybrid."
They placed a battery underneath the seat in the wrangler so as not to risk damage while Offroad. The Electric motor sits in line with the transmission and uses regular gears to connect it to the drivetrain...It is no more exposed than a regular wrangler.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Only gives u up to 50 miles more, then gotta plug in to recoup those 50 miles.
Nope.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/2021-jeep-wrangle-4xe-plug-in-electric-hybrid-first-look/

The driver has some input into how the vehicle is powered, as the Wrangler 4xe is fitted with three different drive modes. The default drive mode is Hybrid, which seamlessly blends power from the gasoline engine and electric motor. This mode also prioritizes the electric drivetrain, only bringing in the gasoline engine when necessary to either add torque or recharge the battery. Next is Electric mode, which just as the name suggests, limits the Wrangler to running only on electric power. Much like Hybrid, however, the gasoline engine will still kick in when needed (so there's no worry of getting stranded when the battery runs dry). Finally, there's eSave mode. This mode allows drivers to save battery power and run only on the gasoline engine. The theory is this mode can be used when you want to save battery power for, say, a silent trail ride, so it's necessary to not use up all of the battery reserves on the highway.

Charging the vehicle can be done in any of three ways: plugged in at home, plugged in at a public charging station, or while driving by the vehicle's onboard charger. While Jeep hasn't released charging statistics just yet, in our experience with other plug-in hybrids of this battery size, we estimate that it will take about 12 hours to charge from a standard 120-volt outlet, about 4.5 hours from a 240-volt home outlet, and about 2.5 hours on a standard 6.6-kWh public charging station. That's assuming the vehicle is capable, and the chargers are functioning as intended (which the public ones often don't). If you were to never plug the Wrangler 4xe in, it would operate as a standard hybrid, though you'd lose out on the benefits of EV driving.

For those who will need to drive farther than the electric range will allow, Jeep is estimating that the Wrangler 4xe will be rated at a fuel economy of 50 mpg-e (the combined equivalent for hybrid vehicles). Which means, in theory, the Wrangler 4xe will be capable of more than 800 miles on a fill-up. In the real world, without charging, you're likely looking at closer to 500 miles per tank, which is still darn impressive for a gasoline-powered Wrangler.

Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/2021-jeep-wrangle-4xe-plug-in-electric-hybrid-first-look/

The driver has some input into how the vehicle is powered, as the Wrangler 4xe is fitted with three different drive modes. The default drive mode is Hybrid, which seamlessly blends power from the gasoline engine and electric motor. This mode also prioritizes the electric drivetrain, only bringing in the gasoline engine when necessary to either add torque or recharge the battery. Next is Electric mode, which just as the name suggests, limits the Wrangler to running only on electric power. Much like Hybrid, however, the gasoline engine will still kick in when needed (so there's no worry of getting stranded when the battery runs dry). Finally, there's eSave mode. This mode allows drivers to save battery power and run only on the gasoline engine. The theory is this mode can be used when you want to save battery power for, say, a silent trail ride, so it's necessary to not use up all of the battery reserves on the highway.

Charging the vehicle can be done in any of three ways: plugged in at home, plugged in at a public charging station, or while driving by the vehicle's onboard charger. While Jeep hasn't released charging statistics just yet, in our experience with other plug-in hybrids of this battery size, we estimate that it will take about 12 hours to charge from a standard 120-volt outlet, about 4.5 hours from a 240-volt home outlet, and about 2.5 hours on a standard 6.6-kWh public charging station. That's assuming the vehicle is capable, and the chargers are functioning as intended (which the public ones often don't). If you were to never plug the Wrangler 4xe in, it would operate as a standard hybrid, though you'd lose out on the benefits of EV driving.

For those who will need to drive farther than the electric range will allow, Jeep is estimating that the Wrangler 4xe will be rated at a fuel economy of 50 mpg-e (the combined equivalent for hybrid vehicles). Which means, in theory, the Wrangler 4xe will be capable of more than 800 miles on a fill-up. In the real world, without charging, you're likely looking at closer to 500 miles per tank, which is still darn impressive for a gasoline-powered Wrangler.
I stand corrected, thank you. I thought it was just a plug in, as per the original previews. You are correct in ur original post, and now thats a much more promising approach. Makes me more interested in it vs v6.

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
The 4Xe uses the 2.0L turbo does it not? If so, that engine option isn't currently available in the Gladiator (as you all know). I would pick the 2.0L Turbo over the V6 and over the diesel. Now give me the 4Xe Gladiator and it would be my number 1! I just just buy the damn truck and live with my decision, but nooooo...i keep waiting to see what they will bring out next.

MaybeAMojave?

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 6spd. 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro 6spd (totaled by a drunk driver April 2020)
Occupation
Former Aerospace Engineer, Current home renovator
My wife has an Audi A3 E-Tron that works very much the same way (albeit with an even shorter 18ish mile electric-only range). We love it for a city car and this would be basically perfect for how I use the Gladiator. Either we're doing things around town (Home Depot, trips to the dump, etc) where we'd be able to do it all on electricity - or we're going on weekend-long camping/biking/climbing adventures where full electric isn't yet ideal.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 4Xe uses the 2.0L turbo does it not? If so, that engine option isn't currently available in the Gladiator (as you all know). I would pick the 2.0L Turbo over the V6 and over the diesel. Now give me the 4Xe Gladiator and it would be my number 1! I just just buy the damn truck and live with my decision, but nooooo...i keep waiting to see what they will bring out next.
Hopefully it comes out in the next 2 yrs. And hopefully battery stays under seat (so I can reuse rear seat compressor mount). And hopefully it can retain 7k+ towing. If it does, im turning in my lease. Otherwise ill probably buy my current glad.
Sponsored