5/19 Build Date?

ilmostro

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Willys '23 JL 392
I found a Sport with the options I wanted but the build date of the truck is 5/19 and the stock number has an X at the end. None of the other Gladiators at this dealer have that.

I'm concerned that:
  1. There have been running production changes that I may be missing out on buying one so early in the production run
  2. Issues with the vehicle for having sat for so long
  3. History of the vehicle given the X on the stock number
I have messaged the dealer regarding the length of time the vehicle has been sitting and the X but haven't received a reply.

What are your thoughts? Should I look for a newer build or is it worth exploring this one and trying to beat them down on pricing?
Sponsored

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
Personally, I would look for a newer build or just go ahead and order a 2021 since those are coming out very soon. If you really are interested in this older build, I would check the mileage and ask the dealer whether it is / was a demo. I would also want fresh fluid changes and replacement batteries if it has been sitting on the lot for over a year.

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I found a Sport with the options I wanted but the build date of the truck is 5/19 and the stock number has an X at the end. None of the other Gladiators at this dealer have that.

I'm concerned that:
  1. There have been running production changes that I may be missing out on buying one so early in the production run
  2. Issues with the vehicle for having sat for so long
  3. History of the vehicle given the X on the stock number
I have messaged the dealer regarding the length of time the vehicle has been sitting and the X but haven't received a reply.

What are your thoughts? Should I look for a newer build or is it worth exploring this one and trying to beat them down on pricing?
I'm not aware of any changes to the Gladiator other then options being added/removed/repackaged.

As an example the max tow package now comes with a limited slip rear differential, originally the max tow package came with an open differential. I know there have also been several paint colors added/removed. Originally you could only get the Sport S with the 5 or 7 inch radio but I believe you can also get the 8.4 in the Sport S now. Stuff like that, nothing major as long as the options you want are on the truck you are looking at.

I agree with WhippetTaxi, have them change all the fluids (or at least show proof it has been done recently) because it has sat for over a year. Generally oil change intervals a maximum of once a year even if you don't drive it. And make sure they don't count it against your 4 free oil changes. Have the battery checked, if it is marginal get it replaced. If the dealership either drove it every few weeks or put a trickle charger on it then it's fine, if they let it run down then it's lifespan is greatly shortened.

OP
OP
ilmostro

ilmostro

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Willys '23 JL 392
Thanks all,

The dealer was beyond useless so I'm going to order a '21 Rubicon and avoid the issues and worries.
Sponsored