6,500 miles oil life still 32%

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
Help me understand how this thing calculates its oil life.
I just turned over 6500 miles and I still have 32% left?

I’ve only ever gone over 5,000 with synthetic oil. Is that’s what’s in this from the factory?
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Most likely full synthetic if it is 0w20 I do not believe that weight is available in conventional oil. I change at 5K miles regardless what the olm says.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Mine was the same way, so I checked at 7000 miles and it was down to 15%. Not sure how the calculation works or how it was programmed but you will see a major drop in percentage over the next few miles.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Number of starts, miles driven, temperatures encountered, and probably a slew of other metrics that can be used to determine oil life span that are unpublished ...

I change early as well ... Maybe around 15-20% life indicated ... But I dont understand why some dont trust this technology ... We have years of data and it is possible to calculate within reason the lifespan of oil if you know the conditions that it has been subjected to ...

It is nuts to think that there is not an (accurate enough) way to determine this ...

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Number of starts, miles driven, temperatures encountered, and probably a slew of other metrics that can be used to determine oil life span that are unpublished ...

I change early as well ... Maybe around 15-20% life indicated ... But I dont understand why some dont trust this technology ... We have years of data and it is possible to calculate within reason the lifespan of oil if you know the conditions that it has been subjected to ...

It is nuts to think that there is not an (accurate enough) way to determine this ...
Yuuuuuuup.
Short drives, other factors, all figured in. These things even know the torque output/loads on the engines.
10K is for ideal conditions. Normal driving, no frequent short runs, engine always up to operating temp before being shut down, no excessive idling and so on.
Mine almost always indicates I could go 10K but with the free wave oil changes, I never went over 4 or 5K. The only time the interval was lower by the indicator in the truck was after towing, then it wasn't down that much.

I've posted more than once a huge thing from an engineer that does testing for oil abilities and there's tons of valid info out there like you mention (not some of the BS out there on youtube by wannabes who throw stuff up for clicks and income)
As a person trained in, and having worked in automotive for decades I can honestly say - this ain't rocket science. It's common sense.
And I can show you a couple of oil pans with pin holes in them because people thought they only needed to go by miles driven, not time, not conditions, etc. - so the acids ate the oil pans and the bearings - yikes.
Even if you don't drive a lot of miles a year, I never go over a year before changing oil. I won't let 'em sit with that crap in them.

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
My $.02 after having my JT and previously a Colorado ZR2...

Having been neurotic in a past life about fluid changes at insanely low miles on previous vehicles, with my 2014 JKU, I wanted actual data rather than, "I ran hard...let me change X". So I started sending oil samples to Blackstone. I began around 65k miles on the JKU and the report came back with terms like, "excellent" and messages like, "try to go 8k miles". So much so that at my last sample I sent them, they suggested punching out to 10k miles as the oil properties were not broken down much nor did I have much, if any contaminants. So with the 2019 ZR2, I took it in for one of its free changes at 30% oil life "to be safe". I was assured that Chevy says to go by the oil reminder and there is no need. With my 21 JT, I took it in around 35% for Jeep Wave change and same thing.

Once I'm out of Jeep Wave changes, I'm going to begin sending back out to Blackstone again.

Also, as an aside, since 2017 I've used exclusively Pennzoil Pure Platinum and that's what was sent to Blackstone. I used to be a Mobil 1 fan for my cars/trucks and Royal Purple for my bikes but I've certainly converted to Pure Platinum.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I said this recently either on this forum or another automotive forum, but after my break in oil change (ca. 1K miles), I change "on the 5s" (odometer readings ending in multiples of 5K, ie. 5K, 10K, 15K). It lines up with the heavy duty use cycles on most vehicles, is easy to remember and record, etc. Covers your bases in a number of dimensions without any real work or difficulty. I've also used Blackstone on vehicles in the past. I'm probably going to skip the free oil changes so that I can have a Blackstone record from new just for shits and giggles.

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
On my ram rebel, I went about 9000 miles before an oil change.

I just went by what the dash told me. When it said do the oil change I did it.

I figure, if Dodge/Ram/Jeep knows when it’s required. And I’m sure they would do it more often if they felt they could make any money off it

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I'm an old Boomer so when I started driving 3,000 oil changes were the norm.
The oil life monitor is one of those things I pretty much ignore other than as a curiosity.
My Gladiator sees what I consider to be severe duty, off road use and trailer towing. Because of that It gets synthetic oil and changed every 5,000 miles or so. I rotate tires at the same time.

The UOAs on my engines come back great.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first vehicle with the oil life indicator. My though was to just go with it and try to get it changed at %10-%15 that way fca could never say i voided my warranty with improper maitenance. Since I got the Jt with towing in mind im trying to keep the engine as happy as possible!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm an old Boomer so when I started driving 3,000 oil changes were the norm.
The oil life monitor is one of those things I pretty much ignore other than as a curiosity.
My Gladiator sees what I consider to be severe duty, off road use and trailer towing. Because of that It gets synthetic oil and changed every 5,000 miles or so. I rotate tires at the same time.

The UOAs on my engines come back great.
I wonder - how old a boomer are you?
Sort of smiling as when I started driving, my boss, a mechanic, and the guy I bought my first car from, said 2500. I'd have to look but maybe the owner manuals DID say 3,000. I still have most of them from back then.
I can't disagree on your logic - you know your truck and what it sees and it's responsibility - and pride in ownership of a vehicle that will last because of your care and attention.
But for others, lurkers - today's monitors or oil life things also take certain other factors into account. Not perfect, but it's not just a blind how many miles are left and how hot or cold was it.

A sharp owner/operator knows more than any computer, how dusty it was - dirt in the air/air quality and other factors.

I'm one for more frequent tire rotations than 10,000 miles as well. I've gotten a whole lot more than average life and wear out of tires by more frequent rotations.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I wonder - how old a boomer are you?
Sort of smiling as when I started driving, my boss, a mechanic, and the guy I bought my first car from, said 2500. I'd have to look but maybe the owner manuals DID say 3,000. I still have most of them from back then.
I can't disagree on your logic - you know your truck and what it sees and it's responsibility - and pride in ownership of a vehicle that will last because of your care and attention.
But for others, lurkers - today's monitors or oil life things also take certain other factors into account. Not perfect, but it's not just a blind how many miles are left and how hot or cold was it.

A sharp owner/operator knows more than any computer, how dusty it was - dirt in the air/air quality and other factors.

I'm one for more frequent tire rotations than 10,000 miles as well. I've gotten a whole lot more than average life and wear out of tires by more frequent rotations.
Lol! Well, I'm within spitting distance of 70.
My first car was a 51 Ford (wish I still had it).
I have no problem with oil life monitors and I suspect a vehicle would probably be well served if an owner followed the monitor.
Way back when I used to buy retread tires, Lol.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've been having my JT oil tested during oil use cycle one was right before I did a oil change. Normally I send sample from about 5000 miles of run time. One test sample was at about 9000 miles the test came back as oil was above done for use.

2ligit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP GLADIATOR
I changed mine at 500 miles to get the factory stuff out. Will do it at 3-5000 with full synthetic. Texas is too hot to let it go for too long. Funny, when i changed the oil at 500,the ticking noises from the motor went away. Amsoil for life :)
Sponsored