6speed manual Sport S with 37s

rwd17

First Name
RUSSELL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Sport
Hey I am looking to get 37s w/ a 3.5" lift on my sport S which has 3.73 gears. It's the 6speed manual trans. so it does not have the max tow package. Not planning on crawling or going off road just yet, but was wondering if anyone is running this setup and how it feels running the bigger tires on 3.73 gears. Plan on doing a 4.88 regear at some point but not immediately. Anyone with some experience? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Trenabol10

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I just picked up a set of 37/12.5r17 Milestar Patagonia MTs tonight that I'll put on tomorrow and update. Sport S, manual, non-max tow, 3.73, Rubicon takeoff shocks/coils+1.5" Teraflex front spacer and .75" rear spacer currently on 285/75r17. All my off-road driving is on soft, sandy beaches. Also planning on 4.88 if 3.73 absolutely sucks.

OP
OP

rwd17

First Name
RUSSELL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Sport
I just picked up a set of 37/12.5r17 Milestar Patagonia MTs tonight that I'll put on tomorrow and update. Sport S, manual, non-max tow, 3.73, Rubicon takeoff shocks/coils+1.5" Teraflex front spacer and .75" rear spacer currently on 285/75r17. All my off-road driving is on soft, sandy beaches. Also planning on 4.88 if 3.73 absolutely sucks.

Any updates?! would love some pics too if you have any!

Trenabol10

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I'll post some pics when I go out to the beach (because we all know you gain extra hp for posting pretty pics lol).

So far, it is definitely driveable but keep in mind Milestar Pats aren't the heaviest 37s out there. My 285/75r17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 list weight at 58lbs each and the 37/12.5r17 Milestar Patagonia MTs list weight at 71.3lbs each. However, it is true that as soon as you hit any kind of incline/try to back over a curb, it suffers noticeably. Pretty sure I won't use 6th gear unless going downhill. I'm a bit leery on taking it onto the sand now but I'm willing to take a chance for science reasons..

Sponsored

Trenabol10

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
37s on 3.73 with 6 speed? You are brave!
Yeah, I’m not driving too far from my set of stock wheels/tires in case I need to swap back before regear. Most likely 4.88 by the end of the year

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
Just to give perspective - my 3.73 geared Overland runs BFG K02 33x12.5x18 size and they weigh 62 lbs each. No issue getting into 8th gear on the flat and holding 8th on small inclines. No hunting at all. I'm not sure I'd be going with anything heavier or bigger without needing a re-gear. 37's at 71 lbs sounds like 4.88 all the way. Interested in your findings though.

Trenabol10

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
37 s with the manual = 5:13 minimum . unless you never take your off road truck off road .
That’s what the local off-road shop was recommending. I’m not interested in rock crawling but I take my Jeep out on the beach almost every weekend so 5.13 may be the way to go.

Sponsored

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That’s what the local off-road shop was recommending. I’m not interested in rock crawling but I take my Jeep out on the beach almost every weekend so 5.13 may be the way to go.
In sand the 3.6 mated to the manual needs all the help it can get , you need to keep the rev"s up . oh and i would recommend Spicer gears , don"t go budget at this ratio .

Trenabol10

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
In sand the 3.6 mated to the manual needs all the help it can get , you need to keep the rev"s up . oh and i would recommend Spicer gears , don"t go budget at this ratio .
Oh man, that’s an understatement. When the sand is super soft I’m pretty much riding the clutch the whole time..which yeah, wasn’t great before I got the recall replacement.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Hey I am looking to get 37s w/ a 3.5" lift on my sport S which has 3.73 gears. It's the 6speed manual trans.
I wouldn't recommend it. Those are tall gears for a tire that big, especially with the 6 speed. You might get away with it using 4.88. I wouldn't rule out 5.13.

Trenabol10

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Ok, I've put a few miles on these 37s and agree with everyone about 4.88 if not 5.13.
CAN you drive it with stock 3.73 gears? Yes, and mileage didn't suck too terribly. Hills and backing up over a curb reeeaaally suck but is manageable. So ask yourself this, what are you using your truck for? if it's just for looks, i think you can get away without regearing. if you actually want to do truck things, or better yet, Jeep things, you have to accept that you'll be regearing.

As HONCHO recommended, I think Spicer 5.13s are the way I'm going.
Sponsored