First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
With the difference in sensitivity ratings between the two sets. My infinitis should be better (louder at least) than the MB's, correct? I'm honestly asking, because I have no idea.

Thanks,
In an underpowered situation like the factory head unit the higher sensitivity should sound significantly louder.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The problem is lower impedence speakers (3ohms in this case) is harder on the amplifiers, especially one that is built into the head unit. Lower impedence may sound louder, but can also be more distorted when not driven by an impedence matching amp.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Biting the bullet and having a local shop install the HS10 and a 4 channel amp. Was driving around today and the current setup is just so damn bad.
I'm surprised yours sounds so bad, mine has 6.5" with a spec similar to your 6x9 on my 5" base system and sounds great with no distortion or issues all they up to full volume. Any chance you've got any speakers wired out of phase?

Here's mine https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/base-system-speaker-upgrade.75015/

OP
OP

DakotaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm surprised yours sounds so bad, mine has 6.5" with a spec similar to your 6x9 on my 5" base system and sounds great with no distortion or issues all they up to full volume. Any chance you've got any speakers wired out of phase?

Here's mine https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/base-system-speaker-upgrade.75015/
That is very likely. There's no way it should sound as crappy as it does. So, I'm guesssing I'll have to cut the harnesses and switch them?

thank you!

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That is very likely. There's no way it should sound as crappy as it does. So, I'm guesssing I'll have to cut the harnesses and switch them?

thank you!
Don’t assume they’re out of phase. Mine sounded crappy without an amp, and they were in phase.

OP
OP

DakotaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Don’t assume they’re out of phase. Mine sounded crappy without an amp, and they were in phase.
Ahh what the hell. I’m keeping the appointment and the local stereo shop. Might as well get this done right.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh what the hell. I’m keeping the appointment and the local stereo shop. Might as well get this done right.
They’ll sort you out. I bought my sub from a local audio guy, which removed any guilt when I asked for five minutes of his time to adjust my levels. I had no issues with the installs, but didn’t have the knowledge to get the levels correct. He made it sound like a concert hall in 10 seconds.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
I did Kicker 6x9's in the Soundbar and 6*5's in the lower dash. I added a Kenwood Amp for extra power. Had done the same in previous Jeeps so that I could hear music with the Freedom Panels off. I also had the stock 7" head unit and changed it out last year for the Stinger Heigh 10 so that I could get a bigger screen. If you like the head unit, add the amp and you should be pleasantly surprised at the improvement.

JeffreyDV

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have these in my soundbar with the factory 5” head unit. I think it sounds great and is plenty loud. Infinity Reference REF-9632ix

Sponsored

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Mojave & 2022 JLU High-Tide
Occupation
Retired Marine; Divorce Attorney
Doesn’t matter what speakers you add to the system, 40 watts is 40 watts. You can’t make it any louder without an amp. You can certainly make it clearer, but it takes more power for Db.
Actually this is not correct. The efficiency of the speaker makes a difference and is measured in db.

If you have a speaker with a 86 rating at 1 watt 1 meter and a speaker with a 96 rating, the latter will be 10db higher with the same power, to the ear that is a big difference.

As far as clarify goes, that is a completely different rating.

Additionally, if you have say an amp rated at 40 watt rms @ 4 ohm it usually* is not 40 watt rms at 2 ohm, 7 ohm or 8 ohm. Not all amps are 2 ohm stable....

I have the factory Alpine system with sub in my Mojave. I changed the knee speakers out with speakers that have a 97 efficiency rating. They are definitely louder...

The Terea Accoustic speakers are 7 ohm, when I put them in they were noticably not as loud. That is because with the 7 ohm load on the amp (stock speakers are 4 ohm) the amp is not putting out the same power as at 4 ohm. Usually* the more load put on an amp, (more power being put out), the more the distortion the amp puts out.

So 40 watts is not 40 watts when it comes to sound volume, there is more that goes into it ...

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
OP
OP

DakotaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Status update for anyone who cares :). The HS10 is legit. it is perfect for this application in my opinion. Saves space and adds just enough, too much if you crank it.

Was talking with the stereo shop guy about the 4-channel amp and he bascially said, “well with the amp we can adjust the crossover levels on all speakers.” I took that as nothing but mids (if I’m lucky) and treble. To me, it wasn’t worth the cost to just have louder treble, as all speakers get plenty loud off the 7” head unit. He basically said that the soundbar enclosure is not suited for 6x9’s, I know there will be some disagreement in this forum on that. I feel, if you’re not adding an amp, maybe even if you are. It is probably best to replace the soundbar speakers with 4“ and 3.5”.

Left the shop with the sub installed and the factory head unit with the bass, mid and treble all at -1 or so. I wasn’t super happy with the way it sounded so added some 300hz bass blockers to the 307F’s and turned up everything on the head unit EQ to 3, except the trebble, which is still at -1.

I was struggling with constantly having to adjust the bass control knob thingy on the HS10. It didn’t seem that it was reacting well to the changes in volume on the head unit. I realized they hadn’t set the sub input voltage thing to “high”. Which from what I gathered was set as if it was running off a preamp signal from an aftermarket head unit. After switching that to “high” the sub seems to blend way better with the actual volume level on the H.U.

Now with the bass blockers installed and everything set properly. it sounds pretty damn good. I do think the 307F’s are a bit too “bright” in my opinion, but it all sounds pretty damn good. I did order some 3.5 JBL clubs and may or may not install those. I may be getting used to the 307’s or maybe they’re breaking in???

Either way, thanks everyone for the responses! I now have a system that I am really happy with for $650ish, minus the cot of my laziness on the HS10 install.
Sponsored

Last edited: