Sponsored

7 Inch Radio Group a $2,085 Upgrade over 5 inch?

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So I've ordered a Gladiator Sport S and am thinking the 5inch Uconnect 3 is a tad anemic for my taste. So I was weighing going for the 7 inch display, but when building on the website when you select the 7 inch for $995 it seems to force you into the Cold Weather group and the Convenience group for an additional $1000 dollars.

This makes simply upgrading from the 5 inch to 7 inch a $2085 upgrade. Is this correct?

Not a big fan of $40k vehicle having a decidedly base model head unit in the first place, but a 2k upgrade? Ouch......

Then starts the cycle of pricing this thing into overland/rubi range. A dilemma I've seen in a few threads already.

Am I mistaken? Cant his be split apart if ordering? Need to know what I'm getting into if I change specs.
Sponsored

since41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee, Trackhawk, RAM DT,
Typical FCA marketing. They want you to add on as many options as possible for the obvious reason. The 5" screen looks out of place in my opinion and wouldn't be something I could live with.

LidLess07X

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Recon, 2001 TJ Sport, 2018 Mustang GT PP1 with Roush S.C.
I'm currently thinking about ordering a base Sport model with nothing more than the automatic and the max towing because I will most likely upgrade everything later. If you add in the price difference of the S package with the options you listed, it comes out to a whopping $5,000 difference.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I'm currently thinking about ordering a base Sport model with nothing more than the automatic and the max towing because I will most likely upgrade everything later. If you add in the price difference of the S package with the options you listed, it comes out to a whopping $5,000 difference.
That's one of my builds too, but haven't run it lately. Since you have it, what's price for manual sport max tow? Did you do hard top? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Typical FCA marketing. They want you to add on as many options as possible for the obvious reason. The 5" screen looks out of place in my opinion and wouldn't be something I could live with.
It does look rather cheap compared to the rest of the interior. It's a shame, may have to evaluate dropping to sport to make up some ground if I cant live with stereo.

Although, I'm sure Alpine will release a refresh for this model. Rather drop 1200 on aftermarket option than pay extra 1000 for options I don't need/want because they are bundled with a stereo.

Sponsored

LidLess07X

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Recon, 2001 TJ Sport, 2018 Mustang GT PP1 with Roush S.C.
That's one of my builds too, but haven't run it lately. Since you have it, what's price for manual sport max tow? Did you do hard top? Thanks in advance.
Max tow is only available with the automatic. I mainly want it for the 4:10 gears, but you also get upgraded fenders that I am hoping are mounted higher allowing for more tire clearance similar to the Rubicon ones. My cheap build(base Sport with auto and max tow comes out to $38,080 including destination) Hardtop is another $1200. Pretty sure I can build a nice Gladiator to fit my wants/needs with the money saved over a loaded up Rubi.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Max tow is only available with the automatic. I mainly want it for the 4:10 gears, but you also get upgraded fenders that I am hoping are mounted higher allowing for more tire clearance similar to the Rubicon ones. My cheap build(base Sport with auto and max tow comes out to $38,080 including destination) Hardtop is another $1200. Pretty sure I can build a nice Gladiator to fit my wants/needs with the money saved over a loaded up Rubi.
Agree. Tons standard. I just couldn't get under 40K OTD with anything close to NoTech Badass jeep truck I really wanted, so I'm waiting. I also wanted the wide track. I have like three builds to look for used, an LE, an overland when offered with Max Tow, and the one we are talking about. I'm don't see a need for a huge screen in my Jeep. I've got a front window. Cool thread!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
So I've ordered a Gladiator Sport S and am thinking the 5inch Uconnect 3 is a tad anemic for my taste. So I was weighing going for the 7 inch display, but when building on the website when you select the 7 inch for $995 it seems to force you into the Cold Weather group and the Convenience group for an additional $1000 dollars.

This makes simply upgrading from the 5 inch to 7 inch a $2085 upgrade. Is this correct?

Not a big fan of $40k vehicle having a decidedly base model head unit in the first place, but a 2k upgrade? Ouch......

Then starts the cycle of pricing this thing into overland/rubi range. A dilemma I've seen in a few threads already.

Am I mistaken? Cant his be split apart if ordering? Need to know what I'm getting into if I change specs.
I know exactly . . . that feeling, and it just doesn't set well at all with me either !
On the possible bright side - don't hold your breath on this; Jeep has already started removing the 5" ('70's looking) throwback-radio from most of the lineup. Maybe in MY2020 the JL's, and the 2021 JT's will see the 7" as the basic radio too ? Of course it won't be a "freebee" ! Sure they will up the "base price" of the vehicles to reflect it . . . hopefully NOT that insane $995 uptick ! They're just about pissing me off enough to just stick with my 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary - which has the 8.4" ! I'm a 2020MY holdout for either the JT or JLU - both as Sport S's and each price builds are similar at around $46K (so far). Their Marketing does suck when it comes to the options packaging - has for quite awhile.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I'm planning on a base radio when I purchase a Sport/Max tow. Will be going with an aftermarket head unit, probably from insaneaudio.com which should be out in a couple months for JL and I can test in my wife's JLU first.

OP
OP
Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I'm planning on a base radio when I purchase a Sport/Max tow. Will be going with an aftermarket head unit, probably from insaneaudio.com which should be out in a couple months for JL and I can test in my wife's JLU first.
What kind of options and price range does insane audio have currently? Are the units factory compatible with all features?

Sorry to ask, but I cannot access that site on the network I'm on currently.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
On the JL, the "7 inch radio group" is called the "Technology group". It's the same thing, just different name.

In my opinion, it's a waste of money. It adds auto climate control and a HVAC filter. I never use Android Auto because it sucks and makes the display feel like something Atari would have done in 1982. So the $1,000 option was an utter waste of money.

I wish I'd spend that money on the Cold Weather Group instead.

OP
OP
Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
On the JL, the "7 inch radio group" is called the "Technology group". It's the same thing, just different name.

In my opinion, it's a waste of money. It adds auto climate control and a HVAC filter. I never use Android Auto because it sucks and makes the display feel like something Atari would have done in 1982. So the $1,000 option was an utter waste of money.

I wish I'd spend that money on the Cold Weather Group instead.
Well that's not really an issue, because it would seem on the Sport and Sport S, the 7 inch group forces you into the Cold weather package (I live in FL) and the convenience group. So the 7 inch $995 upgrade is actually a $2000 upgrade.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The JK unit is around $1200, so I'm hoping the new JL unit will stay under 2000. It has gps, runs all android apps, has multiple camera hook ups, and TV antenna input, it connects to a wifi hotspot for data to run any streaming services. Those are all the JK model features, not sure what is being added or removed for new model.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Well that's not really an issue, because it would seem on the Sport and Sport S, the 7 inch group forces you into the Cold weather package (I live in FL) and the convenience group. So the 7 inch $995 upgrade is actually a $2000 upgrade.
I don't need either of those options, but would like the bigger screen. I live in CA and it gets cold, but not that cold. Nor do I have a garage and a need for a garage door opener. I'd rather save that $1K, or use it for something more useful like a steel bumper and winch, or even the safety package.

jhunter

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Overland White
I had the 5” Uconnect system in my 2018 JL. It is not good. Try to spring for the upgrade if possible.
Sponsored