First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow - Bright White, 2008 BMW 328i e93
Occupation
Software
When you build a Sport S on Jeep's site, it no longer lets you select the 7" Uconnect as an option. The only options I see are 5" and 8.4". This worries me because I feel like there will be an overall lack of support for the 7".

As it is, there is no OTA update option for us and even though Apple CarPlay supports custom screen resolutions, it doesn't seem to be something that the Uconnect team is working on. I have reached out to @JeepCares and FCA support to see if they would be working on an update but it didn't seem like it. It makes sense that these are now the only available options to better compete with the Bronco's announced features but I'm disappointed that the 7" gets left behind.
Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
When you build a Sport S on Jeep's site, it no longer lets you select the 7" Uconnect as an option. The only options I see are 5" and 8.4". This worries me because I feel like there will be an overall lack of support for the 7".

As it is, there is no OTA update option for us and even though Apple CarPlay supports custom screen resolutions, it doesn't seem to be something that the Uconnect team is working on. I have reached out to @JeepCares and FCA support to see if they would be working on an update but it didn't seem like it. It makes sense that these are now the only available options to better compete with the Bronco's announced features but I'm disappointed that the 7" gets left behind.
It's still the base option on Overland, Rubicon, and Mojave. I'm guessing there is a sport base or an upgrade to 8.4 and a "higher trim" base with an upgrade to 8.4 - sounds like they dropped it for the sport only

However, when I was configuring a sport just a few weeks ago the 7" was included in the "popular equipment" packages, so clearly they were building a lot of sports with the 7" screen. I'm surprised they don't just make that the base trim and get rid of the 5" that has additional buttons in the bezel, simplify all the layouts.

OP
OP
jrb517

jrb517

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow - Bright White, 2008 BMW 328i e93
Occupation
Software
Good to know! Agreed the 5" option shouldn't really exist today, but you know there are people out there who want to listen to the radio without ever touching a screen :LOL:

Ian8

I brought this up back when the July 2021 order guide was released. At the bottom of page three (I think) of the order guide there is a note stating that the technology package (which includes the 7” radio) is required for the Sport S models. So basically the 7” display is the base radio on all models except the base Sport, even though on the Jeep build site it shows a 5” display in the Sport S configurator.

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Good to know! Agreed the 5" option shouldn't really exist today, but you know there are people out there who want to listen to the radio without ever touching a screen :LOL:
Yep there are dozens of us that intentionally ordered their Jeep with the 5 inch screen. Personally I dislike touchscreen only radios in cars but the big reason I made sure to get the 5 inch screen was that I prefer the climate control scheme because they take away one of the climate control knobs if you get the 7 or 8.4.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Yep there are dozens of us that intentionally ordered their Jeep with the 5 inch screen. Personally I dislike touchscreen only radios in cars but the big reason I made sure to get the 5 inch screen was that I prefer the climate control scheme because they take away one of the climate control knobs if you get the 7 or 8.4.
But then you don't have dual climate control with the 5".