700 miles with fender liner flapping in the wind

boltnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
Business Owner
So my wife, son & I made a 1400 mile round-trip mad dash over the weekend. We drove from central Florida to Tri-City in NC to pick up my new Granite Crystal Rubicon. Everyone at Tri-City was great, I have no complaints with the transaction. It was smooth and easy.
That being said the ride home was a different story. For starters I definitely have the steering issue. it was a major battle just to stay in my lane. At the first rest area I checked the tire pressure and it was 45psi. I dropped it to 38 and the steering was better, but not good. After arriving home I dropped it to 35 and that didn't seem to do much. I figure I kind of went into this knowing this was a possibility. I'm just going to have to deal with it.
The other thing I noticed on the drive was an odd sound, which at first i though was just really excessive wind noise but soon realized something was not right. It sounded as if something was beating around in the area of the front drivers side wheel. It also sounded and felt like something was occasionally making contact with the tire. Upon looking under the fender I discovered that the push-rivet connector that holds the front of the fender liner in place was missing. I had nothing with me that I could use to secure it and it was too late to find any place open, especially in light of the current situation. So we had to continue on our way. By the time we got home, the tire had eaten away the plastic liner to the point that the hole that the connector goes through isn't even there anymore.
So far I really like everything else about the Gladiator, it was just kind of a big let down after all the excitement, anticipation and long drive. I'll have to call around and see if any dealerships in my area are doing non-essential work right now.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

boltnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
Dropped the pressure to 32psi. Seemed better on my ride to work this morning. No highway speeds on my drive though, so I'll have to wait for the weekend to be sure. :fingerscrossed:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I went through the same iteration. Delivered with 45 psi, aired down to 37 psi and eventually down to 32 PSI and running that currently and seems to be the sweet spot for everyday commuter driving to cut down on the steering wander.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
So my wife, son & I made a 1400 mile round-trip mad dash over the weekend. We drove from central Florida to Tri-City in NC to pick up my new Granite Crystal Rubicon. Everyone at Tri-City was great, I have no complaints with the transaction. It was smooth and easy.
That being said the ride home was a different story. For starters I definitely have the steering issue. it was a major battle just to stay in my lane. At the first rest area I checked the tire pressure and it was 45psi. I dropped it to 38 and the steering was better, but not good. After arriving home I dropped it to 35 and that didn't seem to do much. I figure I kind of went into this knowing this was a possibility. I'm just going to have to deal with it.
The other thing I noticed on the drive was an odd sound, which at first i though was just really excessive wind noise but soon realized something was not right. It sounded as if something was beating around in the area of the front drivers side wheel. It also sounded and felt like something was occasionally making contact with the tire. Upon looking under the fender I discovered that the push-rivet connector that holds the front of the fender liner in place was missing. I had nothing with me that I could use to secure it and it was too late to find any place open, especially in light of the current situation. So we had to continue on our way. By the time we got home, the tire had eaten away the plastic liner to the point that the hole that the connector goes through isn't even there anymore.
So far I really like everything else about the Gladiator, it was just kind of a big let down after all the excitement, anticipation and long drive. I'll have to call around and see if any dealerships in my area are doing non-essential work right now.
@boltnut,
We certainly regret hearing the trouble associated with your first experience in your new vehicle. If you would like our additional support during your dealer visit, please send our team a private message. We would be happy to help.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP

boltnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
I went through the same iteration. Delivered with 45 psi, aired down to 37 psi and eventually down to 32 PSI and running that currently and seems to be the sweet spot for everyday commuter driving to cut down on the steering wander.
Yeah, wandering is what I'd call what's happening with mine also. Doesn't seem like a lot of play in the steering wheel. It just seems to go where it wants to a doesn't respond quick enough when you try tocorrect it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

boltnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
@boltnut,
We certainly regret hearing the trouble associated with your first experience in your new vehicle. If you would like our additional support during your dealer visit, please send our team a private message. We would be happy to help.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Thank you Kathryn. I'm about to call for an appointment. Hoping all goes well. If not I'll let you know.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Thank you Kathryn. I'm about to call for an appointment. Hoping all goes well. If not I'll let you know.
Thank you @boltnut, please keep us updated and reach out privately if you would like our assistance moving forward.

Kathryn
JeepCares

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
IF your servicing dealer screws around AT ALL, get jeepcares involved.
I feared and was correct that a Florida dealer was going to jerk around fixing my front liners.
They got REALLY pissed when FCA called them up to make sure they had the info needed to fix it and get it out the door, but then again knew that I was serious about them getting it done right.

OP
OP

boltnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
IF your servicing dealer screws around AT ALL, get jeepcares involved.
I feared and was correct that a Florida dealer was going to jerk around fixing my front liners.
They got REALLY pissed when FCA called them up to make sure they had the info needed to fix it and get it out the door, but then again knew that I was serious about them getting it done right.
Good to know. I definitely will get them involved if there is any issue.

OP
OP

boltnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
So I actually cancelled that original appointment. It was the height of the Covid paranoia and I have a son with compromised immunity who rides in the truck daily. Anyway finally took it to the local dealer this past Saturday.
Went exactly as expected. No problem ordering a new fender liner. My rear passenger window was making a weird noise when opening & closing. No problem ordering a new regulator. When it came to the steering the mechanic didn't see anything wrong. "Operating as designed". Even though the service advisor told me that the tech wasn't gone very long on his test drive. And so it begins.....
Sponsored