First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
Occupation
Healthcare
I have an overland with the 8.4 alpine uconnect system and premium audio group from the factory. I know that there is a 3.5" mid and separate tweeter in the soundbar. If I do a 6.5" speaker upgrade in the soundbar do I need to use a component system to match the factory connections? Are the factory speaker connections each a full frequency signal or are they filtered high/low by the factory amp? If I connect a 2-way 6.5" speaker, can I just use one of the stock soundbar connections or do I need to find a way to use both to get the full frequency output? Thanks for any help. I just combed this entire sub-forum and didn't quite see an answer for this.
Sponsored

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I’ll buy your Alpine 4” sound bar speakers. IM me

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I have an overland with the 8.4 alpine uconnect system and premium audio group from the factory. I know that there is a 3.5" mid and separate tweeter in the soundbar. If I do a 6.5" speaker upgrade in the soundbar do I need to use a component system to match the factory connections? Are the factory speaker connections each a full frequency signal or are they filtered high/low by the factory amp? If I connect a 2-way 6.5" speaker, can I just use one of the stock soundbar connections or do I need to find a way to use both to get the full frequency output? Thanks for any help. I just combed this entire sub-forum and didn't quite see an answer for this.
What did you end up doing with your sound bar speakers? I have the same questions as you regarding how to hook up component speakers in this location.

OP
OP

iSED8

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
Occupation
Healthcare
I haven’t done anything yet. I wanted to be certain about what to do. But it sounds like you split the coaxial wires and feed the high to the tweeter. And the 4” bass to whatever bass cone you are using in the coaxial. At least from all the threads I’ve read.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I haven’t done anything yet. I wanted to be certain about what to do. But it sounds like you split the coaxial wires and feed the high to the tweeter. And the 4” bass to whatever bass cone you are using in the coaxial. At least from all the threads I’ve read.
There are a couple posts about combining or splicing in both feeds to a single 6.5" speaker. I did that and seemed to work ok. FYI I feel like the sound improvement compared to time, effort, and expense of modifying the knee pods and roll bar speakers wasn't worth it...
I would've just done the dash speakers, or go whole hog and replace a base stereo with amp and speakers. I hate the thought of spending a few grand on and amp and everything when I already paid for the upgraded stereo:headbang:

Sponsored

tcracing

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JTR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Sales
There are a couple posts about combining or splicing in both feeds to a single 6.5" speaker. I did that and seemed to work ok. FYI I feel like the sound improvement compared to time, effort, and expense of modifying the knee pods and roll bar speakers wasn't worth it...
I would've just done the dash speakers, or go whole hog and replace a base stereo with amp and speakers. I hate the thought of spending a few grand on and amp and everything when I already paid for the upgraded stereo:headbang:
I just order some dash speakers to start for the upgrade. I'm with you on spending the $$ on the amp and everything to just replace it. Hopefully the dash speakers make a noticeable upgrade.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I just order some dash speakers to start for the upgrade. I'm with you on spending the $$ on the amp and everything to just replace it. Hopefully the dash speakers make a noticeable upgrade.
The dash speakers made a difference and were easy.
The knee pods take a while, and were very boomy for me. I took them back out, put in dynamat and poly-fill, and still had (a little less) boomy sound which made me have to adjust the crappy 3-band EQ on the stereo.
The roll bar was a little better sound-wise, took some time/effort, but I also have some crackling from the right at higher volumes, not sure if a loose wire or something.

I think it'd be a better upgrade if the radio had a better EQ. As it is, I couldn't adjust for the boomy sound and still have as much subwoofer as I prefer. When I used spotify and lowered the 400hz band it helped a lot, and I could dial the sub and everything better. The downside is I like to use XM and it bothers me that I can't adjust it more...
Sponsored