Sponsored

8.4 black screen, thoughts? Also Roof Leak

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Hey all,

Unfortunately the Gladiator is in the shop right now for two issues. First is leaking T-tops. Wherever the water is getting in, it is dripping out the console above the rear view mirror (with the SOS button in it and whatnot) Thankfully the dealer was able to replicate this, and they said they are working with FCA engineering to get this fixed so I am confident that there may be a solution here. Looking at the T top alignment, well it sucks so I have a feeling that may be the root of the problem.

The bigger issue is the 8.4 occasionally (once a week or so) goes to a black screen on startup. There is the splash screen, but then just black. The HVAC controls below the screen also fail to work, along with the ESS (says to service soon), the compass, and the auto headlights fail to work as well. In auto mode the headlights default to on. Shutting down the jeep and restarting it does not help. However if you shut it down for a "long break" or disconnect the positive terminal it will restart normally.

Any thoughts? This is one of those dreaded "intermittent issues" that dealers just love.
Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hey all,

Unfortunately the Gladiator is in the shop right now for two issues. First is leaking T-tops. Wherever the water is getting in, it is dripping out the console above the rear view mirror (with the SOS button in it and whatnot) Thankfully the dealer was able to replicate this, and they said they are working with FCA engineering to get this fixed so I am confident that there may be a solution here. Looking at the T top alignment, well it sucks so I have a feeling that may be the root of the problem.

The bigger issue is the 8.4 occasionally (once a week or so) goes to a black screen on startup. There is the splash screen, but then just black. The HVAC controls below the screen also fail to work, along with the ESS (says to service soon), the compass, and the auto headlights fail to work as well. In auto mode the headlights default to on. Shutting down the jeep and restarting it does not help. However if you shut it down for a "long break" or disconnect the positive terminal it will restart normally.

Any thoughts? This is one of those dreaded "intermittent issues" that dealers just love.
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this. If you need any additional assistance while you Jeep is with the dealer please let me know! I would be happy to assist.

Alison
JeepCares

OP
OP
Bowerss2

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this. If you need any additional assistance while you Jeep is with the dealer please let me know! I would be happy to assist.

Alison
JeepCares
They guys at Hayes Jeep in Kalamazoo did a great job finding/fixing the roof leak. Turns out the factory mis-installed the t top gaskets. Anyway still no luck on the 8.4 issue, they were not able to reproduce it. It is clearly some computer box that isn't happy. Next time it happens im going to try and drive straight to the dealer if able.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
They guys at Hayes Jeep in Kalamazoo did a great job finding/fixing the roof leak. Turns out the factory mis-installed the t top gaskets. Anyway still no luck on the 8.4 issue, they were not able to reproduce it. It is clearly some computer box that isn't happy. Next time it happens im going to try and drive straight to the dealer if able.
I'm happy they were able to assist with your roof. When you're ready to visit the dealership for your Uconnect concern please feel free to reach out. I would be happy to provide an additional level of care.

Alison
JeepCares

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Hey all,

My base radio does that once in awhile. Locks up in a black screen for the whole ride. No fix atm.

OP
OP
Bowerss2

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My base radio does that once in awhile. Locks up in a black screen for the whole ride. No fix atm.
I fixed the issue. I pulled and re-seated the fuses. I think one of them had an intermittent contact issue. No problems with the radio since last year.
Sponsored