8 Speed Automatic Regrets?

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Most of the cars I have owned have been manuals, including my 2018 JLR I owned several years ago. I would loved to have my JT as a manual, but the gearing in the manual is horrible. In this case, I’d rather drive an auto, which I do with my 21 Mojave.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Most of the cars I have owned have been manuals, including my 2018 JLR I owned several years ago. I would loved to have my JT as a manual, but the gearing in the manual is horrible. In this case, I’d rather drive an auto, which I do with my 21 Mojave.
While I agree it takes a little adjustment, I disagree it's horrible. Just treat it like a 5 speed with a specialty highway gear. Sure 1st and 2nd are a bit too deep, but that's just what happens when you serve two masters. The ratio on first and second were clearly selected with off-road in mind, while 3-6 are the on-road ratios.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
While I agree it takes a little adjustment, I disagree it's horrible. Just treat it like a 5 speed with a specialty highway gear. Sure 1st and 2nd are a bit too deep, but that's just what happens when you serve two masters. The ratio on first and second were clearly selected with off-road in mind, while 3-6 are the on-road ratios.
I tried that with my JLR. Kept the revs high but the oem tune is bad as well with the manual. I thought it was only my Jeep, but I drove a few JLRs and they all had hesitations or slight bucking when remaining in gear at a “higher” rpm. It’s all emissions related crap, both mechanical and electronic.