First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Any ideas on keeping a RTT cool at night when parked at a conventional campground with full hook-ups? The campgrounds in question only has full hook up sites, so why not take advantage of it.
If there were some decent portable a/c units awesome, if not then any suggestions on small fans?
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
OP
OP
AmishMike

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whipping boy
#smlobx thanks, I saw those but also found this- https://www.zerobreeze.com/pages/mark2
They start at $1,000- but are only 16 lbs. and get decent reviews. I think that I am going that way but it will be several months until I can give any kind of opinion on it.
I agree that normally a tent has zero insulation but our Toro has zip in insulation and people swear by it in the cold. It should work to insulate the hot out too, but at what point are you defeating your purpose? I wonder what the temperature needs to be outside to make it worth the insulation in the heat and is it really only necessary in the sunlight or all night?
Man this is a long way from my old painted linen sack.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I remember when the first version came out but there were several problems with it. If you do get a gen 2 unit please let me know what you think of it. It would be a great option if it works.

OP
OP
AmishMike

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whipping boy
Tried the Zero-Breeze yesterday. It was 84*F out and that thing blew nice cold air! Should have put a thermometer into the duct to see what the temp actually was (next time), I will say that it was at least equivalent to two dash ducts on max A/C. Ran nice and quiet. So far I am impressed.
The big test won't come until June in Florida.

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
We have a battery powered fan that hangs from the top inside. Has an LED ring light, too. Got it off Amazon, it's pretty easy to find.

For home, when we don't want to fire up the portable AC unit, I have a big cool blanket that's amazing. I'm tempted to order a cool pad for the mattress, too.

If you have power/water... what about mattress coolers? Not sure how much hose/ductwork is needed, or how loud they are compared to other options. But a quick search shows they cost a couple hundred bucks.

Some day I'll bite the bullet and buy a cool shirt like what racers wear.

Tmtmtl666

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Subaru Forester XT
Occupation
Construction - Client Services
OP
OP
AmishMike

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whipping boy
@smlobx
The Zero Breeze Mark 2 works great! Last week in Orlando mid 90's during the day and 76 at night. I set the a/c unit on a sheet of rubber on the roof of the truck, ducted the outlet into the top of our king-sized RTT with 12x12 annex. The rtt was cool and it took the humidity out of the annex and dropped it a few degrees. I had it on high for about a half hour then to low over night (off during the day). That was with it plugged into an outlet, they say it will run for 5/6 hours on the battery which is an upgrade.
To make it more efficient, I should have placed the unit inside so that it was recirculating the air instead of trying to cool the outside air. Then you duct the intake/exhaust outside. All of the adapters are included.
Net result, yes it made a huge difference, yes it was worth the cost ($1400 with one battery). I cannot say that it will make it like an ice box but just taking the humidity out, and circulating the air is huge. Also 10 degrees difference is noticeable! I am sure that if it were only trying to cool one unit instead of tent and annex, it would be even better.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
@smlobx
The Zero Breeze Mark 2 works great! Last week in Orlando mid 90's during the day and 76 at night. I set the a/c unit on a sheet of rubber on the roof of the truck, ducted the outlet into the top of our king-sized RTT with 12x12 annex. The rtt was cool and it took the humidity out of the annex and dropped it a few degrees. I had it on high for about a half hour then to low over night (off during the day). That was with it plugged into an outlet, they say it will run for 5/6 hours on the battery which is an upgrade.
To make it more efficient, I should have placed the unit inside so that it was recirculating the air instead of trying to cool the outside air. Then you duct the intake/exhaust outside. All of the adapters are included.
Net result, yes it made a huge difference, yes it was worth the cost ($1400 with one battery). I cannot say that it will make it like an ice box but just taking the humidity out, and circulating the air is huge. Also 10 degrees difference is noticeable! I am sure that if it were only trying to cool one unit instead of tent and annex, it would be even better.
That’s great to hear!
Did you happen to take any pictures of your setup?

Sponsored

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
OP
OP
AmishMike

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whipping boy
Okay, my wife some had pictures. This was the initial position of the a/c unit, I ended up turning it to be under the tent overhang. Other than that, nothing special.
Jeep Gladiator a/c for a RTT? IMG_0205.JPG
Jeep Gladiator a/c for a RTT? IMG_0206.JPG

Yes, that is as good as we can get the annex to go up. Wife is working on shortening it about 6 inches. It's a Torro and for another conversation.......

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's $300 on alibaba
Until you try and buy one lol. I tried this morning and instantly got a message from the seller that they won’t honor the shipping quote and asked me to cancel my order.

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Until you try and buy one lol. I tried this morning and instantly got a message from the seller that they won’t honor the shipping quote and asked me to cancel my order.
RIP - Figured it was too good to be true.
Sponsored