A new low for our civilization… clutch fried by valet parking attendant

Snazzberry

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I made the mistake of giving my truck to a hotel valet-parker. When I got it back three days later, all the windows were open and it reeked inside. Smelled like clutch, but I was in a hurry and figured, ehh, how bad could one trip from the parking garage be? Surely a windows-down spin down the Mass Pike out of the city and the air would clear and all would be well. Clutch engagement seemed a little wonky as I drove, but surely I was imagining it. Well, when the smell didn’t go entirely away after a couple of weeks, I took it to the dealer (a dealer I trust, fwiw) yesterday. Diagnosis: clutch fried, $1,700 to replace. Just 12k miles. Very unhappy hotel guest here. Moral: you can’t trust even professional drivers with a stick shift--not in some classic Ferrari, but even in a GD pickup truck. 🤯😱😵💫🤮🙄
Sponsored

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did you happen to see Burn-Out marks anywhere around the Jeep ? I'm thinking someone had some fun at your expense !

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Moral: you can’t trust even professional drivers with a stick shift-
You really think valets, car-parkers at a hotel, or for that matter, anywhere, are professional drivers? Really? All you need is the right license and a good resume, and these days, those are even often padded. Or no resume at all - go online, apply, make it sound good, and you have a job. With almost all businesses desperate for bodies, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel. There's few out there to choose from. Those who are good have any job they wish - that leaves the rest...... and you believe a professional driver does the car parking?

Is it possible he could not find low gear, or thought he had it in low but was really a gear too high and he had to work the clutch to get it to move? Who said he was good with a stick?

Windows down is a sign the guy was an idiot. I could never leave any vehicle left in my care with windows down. No way.

For all you know, the guy who parked your truck was washing the dishes at McDonalds last week. But he wanted a few more dollars so got some better clothes and was hoping for great tips parking cars at a hotel. Who said they were professional anything? That's assuming a lot, especially these days.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I had one refuse to park mine because of the tent and rack.
Forced me to drive it myself to a much lower portion of the garage at my own risk.
Ironic since the valet section was two feel taller.
I thought I was going to have to air down to park. :CWL:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had one refuse to park mine because of the tent and rack.
Forced me to drive it myself to a much lower portion of the garage at my own risk.
Ironic since the valet section was two feel taller.
I thought I was going to have to air down to park. :CWL:
One reason I left the stock tall antenna on my F250 - I had to park in the ramp now and then. If the antenna twanged, STOP!

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Was invited to a foo foo steakhouse recently. Parking by valet only but they were gracious when I told them I'll park my own truck, TYVM.
Not letting a kid stranger behind the wheel of my Jeep. Sorry not sorry.
Bad enough are the dealerships. Had to tell one young man not to turn the steering wheel unless the vehicle is in motion because it stresses the steering. Got that half retard/ half no comprende non response, then told the service mgr he needed to train his techs better.

Going through a process of elimination of local unqualified dealerships.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Theres a recall on the clutch/pressure plate and some TSB's you should push on the dealer that it should be covered.

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I was a valet at the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver when I was in my early 20s. I could tell a lot of stories that would horrify owners. Bottom line - I don't often give my vehicles to valets anymore.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Had to tell one young man not to turn the steering wheel unless the vehicle is in motion because it stresses the steering.
How big are the tires on your truck that it stresses the steering??
I do it all the time when maneuvering my trailer back into its parking spot by my shop.

I'll even turn mine with the engine off when doing work on it.

(never before heard about turning a wheel when sitting still and been doing front ends for decades. Must be an internet or youtube thing)

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
GMRS and stock antenna were twanging away. It was a bit .....toight.

One reason I left the stock tall antenna on my F250 - I had to park in the ramp now and then. If the antenna twanged, STOP!
IMG_0496.jpg

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
And now....I don't stay at the Brown Palace in Denver.... :like:

I was a valet at the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver when I was in my early 20s. I could tell a lot of stories that would horrify owners. Bottom line - I don't often give my vehicles to valets anymore.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
How big are the tires on your truck that it stresses the steering??
37" KO2s.
One of the first things I learned in mechanics class in high school. I've watched frame rails flex that steering boxes were attached to, and I watched that big young man use both hands to crank on my steering wheel.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I made the mistake of giving my truck to a hotel valet-parker. When I got it back three days later, all the windows were open and it reeked inside. Smelled like clutch, but I was in a hurry and figured, ehh, how bad could one trip from the parking garage be? Surely a windows-down spin down the Mass Pike out of the city and the air would clear and all would be well. Clutch engagement seemed a little wonky as I drove, but surely I was imagining it. Well, when the smell didn’t go entirely away after a couple of weeks, I took it to the dealer (a dealer I trust, fwiw) yesterday. Diagnosis: clutch fried, $1,700 to replace. Just 12k miles. Very unhappy hotel guest here. Moral: you can’t trust even professional drivers with a stick shift--not in some classic Ferrari, but even in a GD pickup truck. 🤯😱😵💫🤮🙄
We had a valet driver at a major Vegas Hotel climb into our brand new Volvo and run it over two 8 inch curbs while we watched. Broke the wheel at the bead on the drivers side front and scraped the left rear. We complained and he denied it. I pushed it hard and after a year got 4 (count them) brand new matching Volvo OEM MAG wheels and a 3 day comp at the hotel. If you don't complain and then back it up, they will crap in your salad plate all day long. It seems [young ?] people today have absolutely NO respect for anything....
Sponsored