Sponsored

JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available!

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
I think a small percentage of people will find it useful as presented and just what they were looking for - but that is pretty niche.

For mass-market appeal, I think it would need to be a tonneau cover replacement option....that looks bad-ass.

1. Lockable
2. Waterproof
3. Durable (powder coated or something).

To choose between a lockable tonneau cover and this? This gets left behind and cool but not day-to-day functional (at least for me).

Just my opinion.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I think a small percentage of people will find it useful as presented and just what they were looking for - but that is pretty niche.

For mass-market appeal, I think it would need to be a tonneau cover replacement option....that looks bad-ass.

1. Lockable
2. Waterproof
3. Durable (powder coated or something).

To choose between a lockable tonneau cover and this? This gets left behind and cool but not day-to-day functional (at least for me).

Just my opinion.
I 2nd that Don Corleone! I need some kind of waterproof gear hauling. I can't have all of my gear exposed to the rain. I can have half of it exposed, but not 100%.

I like the basket idea, and could have used it when i was hauling away 15 trees worth of firewood. Stack it 2 feet high throw a strap over it, the lip will keep it from rolling off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK-8
The Upper Decker is getting close! Hinged front section with shock-assisted lifting from the tailgate. Latches inside the rear of the bed for secure storage.

This won't have every feature suggested on this thread, but will have tons of uses. More details coming soon.

IMG_9935.JPG

IMG_9936.JPG
IMG_9933.JPG
IMG_9937.JPG

pparks72

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2016 Outback
Occupation
Retired
Is there any chance that this could be modular (maybe 2-3 pcs)? I'm thinking about storage space when its not in use and a smaller size package may also cut down on shipping cost.

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there any chance that this could be modular (maybe 2-3 pcs)? I'm thinking about storage space when its not in use and a smaller size package may also cut down on shipping cost.
In the future we may make a half rack for those who don't want a full bed basket, but this version will not be modular. We want to keep it as strong and large as possible to hold a spare tire or other large items without interference.

Thank you,

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Do you have any idea on how much weight the struts can support in the opened position?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any idea on how much weight the struts can support in the opened position?
Not yet. We'll be doing some weight testing on it in the next few days. I'll post updates as they are available.

Thank you,

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
There are clear disadvantages to having holes in the floor of this thing, as seen in this thread. But, there are some advantages too. Weight savings is probably the biggest one. It would also provide lots of "tie down" points all across the floor.

I still kind of like the idea of this design. It would be easy enough for a guy to cut his own sheet of material to seal off the weather if he really needed to, but this design is pretty interesting.

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Adding features to the Upper Decker. Have the RotopaX mounts on now, and strapped in a 37" Trep to do some weight testing. Last pic is of the internal latch that locks the rack in place and keeps your cargo underneath secure. Final hardware will be black.

IMG_9961.JPG
IMG_9965.JPG
IMG_9966.JPG
IMG_9967.JPG

Thank you,

Last edited:

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Love the ingenuity and simple design of this Bed Rack Basket!

I'm not sure about the holes - seems that even with what must be nominal weight savings the benefits of a solid deck would be greater.

I like the RotopaX mounts but my suggestion is to integrate some kind of tracks on the basket and the rails that enable the use of a universal bracket that you offer. There are rail systems on the market now. And even looking at a Unistrut type rail would allow mounting points at any location.

Keep doing what you're doing - there's some great potential here

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
I love the overall concept. As I now see it I would not buy it. I would also like it to be weather proof and somewhat easy to remove iin case you ever need to add a large item in the bed. I love that its lockable. Also like the pop up feature especially if you can drive with it in that position if needed. Keep up the designs.
Sponsored