Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
In my garage - it hasn't been installed yet. I can't wait to run it, though.

uBz5Vtd.jpg

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
once y'all get this on please please please post some before and after pics. the rear drive shaft has me weirded out with its current design so Id LOVE to replace it. I was looking forward to a tom woods rear at some point. Still interested in how it fits under the body.

OP
OP
desertfox73

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
once y'all get this on please please please post some before and after pics. the rear drive shaft has me weirded out with its current design so Id LOVE to replace it. I was looking forward to a tom woods rear at some point. Still interested in how it fits under the body.
Too late for me to post some before photos but I will take some after photos. If anyone has a Rubicon with 4.5” lift they could add some photos - the angles should be the same.

Let me know if there are any specific shots you’re looking for.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Too late for me to post some before photos but I will take some after photos. If anyone has a Rubicon with 4.5” lift they could add some photos - the angles should be the same.

Let me know if there are any specific shots you’re looking for.
youre the best

specifically the connections to transfer case and to rear diff, as well as some over all pics of how it looks in the body. Im curious about its clearances inside the undercarriage. There is no scientific basis to this so its really just me being curious. I will be VERY happy with what ever you take for me!

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced my JK drive shafts, seems like a similar process for the JL.

The JT rear shaft has this weird break in the middle that is what im curious about. The linked shaft says its a silid shaft so Im wondering if it just gets rid of that little break in the middle of the OEM one.

OEM one pictured

s-l400.jpg

OP
OP
desertfox73

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
youre the best

specifically the connections to transfer case and to rear diff, as well as some over all pics of how it looks in the body. Im curious about its clearances inside the undercarriage. There is no scientific basis to this so its really just me being curious. I will be VERY happy with what ever you take for me!
Will do. I should have it back tomorrow or Wednesday.

OP
OP
desertfox73

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I replaced my JK drive shafts, seems like a similar process for the JL.

The JT rear shaft has this weird break in the middle that is what im curious about. The linked shaft says its a silid shaft so Im wondering if it just gets rid of that little break in the middle of the OEM one.

OEM one pictured

s-l400.jpg
Yes - the “kink” is where the two parts of the shaft are coupled together. One part of the shaft runs just underneath the truck, parallel to the ground. The “kink” is where the shaft drops down to reach the rear differential. The one-piece shafts eliminate that kink, so there is a reduction in clearance, especially in the break over angle...which is what the two-piece shaft was trying to preserve I guess.

Having said that, when my 4.5” lift was installed the shop had to put spacers on the shaft mount (the small wings on the short part of the shaft pictured above) to drop the kink down. Otherwise the drop angle of the rear part was too severe and caused vibrations and contact with the flange.

The one-piece will reduce some break over clearance, but not by too much (especially since my stock shaft was already dropped to alleviate the above issues). The gains will be a much more Robust piece with one fewer linkage (ie one less place for problems).

Sponsored

OP
OP
desertfox73

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Photos below, as requested. These things are insanely beefy. Really not a difference in clearance as you can see from the side view.

Attachments

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Photos below, as requested. These things are insanely beefy. Really not a difference in clearance as you can see from the side view.
awesome! My last thought is will it change break over angle or anything? I cant remember if it was this thread, or another one, but someone mentioned that the split in the shaft may have been designed to help with that.

OP
OP
desertfox73

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awesome! My last thought is will it change break over angle or anything? I cant remember if it was this thread, or another one, but someone mentioned that the split in the shaft may have been designed to help with that.
Yes and no. If you’re going over an obstacle that is wide (like a log, rock shelf), then no - the frame or gas tank skid will hit first. However, if you’re going over a singular obstacle like a boulder, and if the boulder goes right underneath where the driveshaft is, then possibly. With a 4.5” lift the Adams hangs about an inch or two lower than the stock driveshaft...not much.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Yes and no. If you’re going over an obstacle that is wide (like a log, rock shelf), then no - the frame or gas tank skid will hit first. However, if you’re going over a singular obstacle like a boulder, and if the boulder goes right underneath where the driveshaft is, then possibly. With a 4.5” lift the Adams hangs about an inch or two lower than the stock driveshaft...not much.
nice! Thanks for the info :fist bump:

CG07SUT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX being replaced by Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction
Looks like that splined slip joint will need a boot for those that play in sandy mud and/or use this as a daily driver in those areas that see snow/salt/brine on the roads. I had a set of JR Reels on my old JK and had to have both joints (front and rear shafts) replaced in a little over a year when the shafts seized.
Sponsored