Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control alignment

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just had to replace a windshield in the gladiator. With the $300 alignment for ACC added to the cost, Safelite quoted me $1109 for the windshield.

I'm a DIY type of guy. I've dug around a little on the internet looking for the tools and procedures, but have come up short for the JL or JT (lots of other makes/models). Any reason why I can't buy the tool and do it myself? I'm sure this won't be the last windshield. I'd be willing to help any local guys in the same situation.

Just looking for help from anyone with experience or links to the tools and/or procedures.
Sponsored

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
Why didn't insurance cover it?

OP
OP
Mouse

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I don't carry broken glass coverage here in Ut. While active duty and moving state-to-state, only Ut was prohibitively high in price. It surely bit me this time. Fortunately my neighbor got me a shop rate and I paid half price.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had the dealer's collision center do mine with a proper MOPAR original JT glass - a bit over 900 bucks. Nothing said about alignment of anything. Makes sense since that bit isn't in or on the glass, it's housed in that box that never moves. Fold the windshield down and there's no effect or change to the ACC box. In fact, Jeep supplies a cover for that box for when the windshield is down.

I paid for mine because I have a $500 deductible, and to make a claim may impact my claim-free status that gives us huge discounts for all of my cars and Jeeps and house.
I figured I was going to pay 500 anyway........ just eat it and not bother with insurance.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RetCop402

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Star Edition
Occupation
Retired:
Just had to replace a windshield in the gladiator. With the $300 alignment for ACC added to the cost, Safelite quoted me $1109 for the windshield.

I'm a DIY type of guy. I've dug around a little on the internet looking for the tools and procedures, but have come up short for the JL or JT (lots of other makes/models). Any reason why I can't buy the tool and do it myself? I'm sure this won't be the last windshield. I'd be willing to help any local guys in the same situation.

Just looking for help from anyone with experience or links to the tools and/or procedures.
I had to replace my windshield about 2 months ago on my Sport S with a genuine Mopar JT windshield. the cost was $600 didn't have to align my ACC. Don't understand what needed to be aligned? You should have had a ACC box cover for when the windshield is down. The ACC box is not even connected to the windshield.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I can only see alignment as a possible issue if using non-OEM glass. There could be a thickness difference, or some other issue in the glass, requiring a realignment. If quality glass is used, and the space in front of the ACC box is completely clear, no realignment should be necessary.

OP
OP
Mouse

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
This brings up a great question as to why a realignment is necessary for windshield replacement. Might just be a money grab by windshield companies.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Now maybe people know why I paid the money for a genuine MOPAR correct JT original windshield installed at the dealer's collision center - even though the young woman at the front desk was rude as heck.
Even they gave me a choice - save a couple hundred bucks on replacement glass, or get the MOPAR part number. I said - it's less than a year old, I want only correct genuine parts used on that glass.

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
I had mine replaced last week and they did an alignment. My adaptive cruise is now really choppy. i use it all the time and before the replacement it worked great. Anybody know if this is an intelligent system that gets better as it learns driving habits?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine replaced last week and they did an alignment. My adaptive cruise is now really choppy. i use it all the time and before the replacement it worked great. Anybody know if this is an intelligent system that gets better as it learns driving habits?
It should not as it's nothing at all to do with your driving habits. It's all about direction and space and time and speed. It's made to act as cruise control, and if it detects an object in front big enough to be a vehicle, it lowers the cruise speed to keep you paced back of that object. If you change lanes to the left to pass, it will accelerate you around that object.
If you stay behind it and it slows down to 0, it will slow and stop you and when the object is no longer in your lane, as if it was a car that turned, it will pick back up to the set cruise speed.
This is about radar - detecting an object, detecting it's SPEED and SIZE.
Nothing to do with your driving.
If it's choppy now, they screwed up.
There should be NO reason to realign that thing unless it gets hit or bumped or you are using a different glass. It's not like shift points of a transmission.
I can't figure why they do alignments on these if nothing has changed other than the glass.
On a vehicle like my wife's Grand Cherokee, or my son's Compass - yeah........ but these are made to be able to fold the windshield away from that radar box and not impact operations at all folding windshield down and up, down and up.
I would get on record with them that it's been messed up since they worked on it.
It won't learn - nothing to learn. In a way, it's like wondering if your headlight aim will get better with time.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I had to replace my windshield about 2 months ago on my Sport S with a genuine Mopar JT windshield. the cost was $600 didn't have to align my ACC. Don't understand what needed to be aligned? You should have had a ACC box cover for when the windshield is down. The ACC box is not even connected to the windshield.
You can get adaptive cruise control on a Sport S? I don’t ever remember seeing that as an option on the build site.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can get adaptive cruise control on a Sport S? I don’t ever remember seeing that as an option on the build site.
That's one thing I noticed when I bought, too - some things like that were not on the Sport S option list a year ago.
There were things I wanted and my wife insisted on that you simply could not get in a Sport S - then months later some of that changed. ACC? I don't know without looking if that's available now on the Sport S.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
To the best of my knowledge the alignment does not have to be performed with a glass replacement. Nothing is actually attached to the glass itself. It all hangs from the header.

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
I doubt insurance companies would pay for it with a windshield replacement claim if it wasn't required by the manufacturer.
Sponsored