Sponsored

Adding engine block heater? As simple as a couple PN’s?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
As topic states. Want to add an engine block and oil pan heater.

what are folks using on these
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
@bailer Read your other thread. What do you think of it? I have never seen a dry block heater.

Something to think about, put your heater on a timer. We use heavy duty timers and turn them on about an hour before vehicle start up. Not only does it save on electricity, it saves the heating element. However, if you are up in the Artic like Paul then you might need it on as soon as you shut the vehicle off to try and maintain engine heat instead of heating a cold block.

bailer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
@bailer Read your other thread. What do you think of it? I have never seen a dry block heater.

Something to think about, put your heater on a timer. We use heavy duty timers and turn them on about an hour before vehicle start up. Not only does it save on electricity, it saves the heating element. However, if you are up in the Artic like Paul then you might need it on as soon as you shut the vehicle off to try and maintain engine heat instead of heating a cold block.
ummm, yeah I was just referring to the installation of the factory heater in the factory location. It works well in the -35°C stuff we get in Saskatchewan.
[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whipping boy
I had not realized that this was a dry installation, so I held off. But if it works for you, then it works. Thanks for the info! Will be ordering one today.
Do you have it on a timer or all night?
-Mike

bailer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I’m on call, so in the real cold snaps I leave it on.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
The gladiator uses a dry block heater. Benny from MoPAR here gave me the following link.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/jljtengblkhtr36.html

I also live in a cold climate but did not end up getting it installed this year. It does require partial removal of the A/C compressor though.

So far, starting down to about 5F I have not seen any problems although the engine isnt super happy and clatters a little until oil warms up (yea yeah I know its not good…). However, as much as I searched here I have not really seen many people discussing how well it works, or doesnt….. which is why I havent put one in yet. Honestly waiting to see what happens when temps dip to -15 to see if its warranted or not. My assumption is newer engines will have less issues at startup and it will be more of a battery situation by then.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whipping boy
Chad, I agree that these newer engines don't 'require' a heater.
However, I leave the house some mornings at 4:00am and with the truck in the garage, I don't like the idea of hitting the remote start.
Currently I use the 'coffee cup' routine. I leave my coffee cup in the truck when I get home, the next morning, I get up and brew a pot of coffee, go out to the truck and start it, go inside and fill my cup. By time I go outside the engine is fairly warmed up. Have done this for 30 years and the old carbureted cars loved it.
With this, I can start parking in the garage. Double win! No, the garage is just a Morton shed so not even any residual heat but it would keep the frost, snow etc. off.. Being in charge of a fleet, there are many an emergency call where saving a few minutes of scraping would be helpful.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered this for the oil pan. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00PM87W3I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zB2MFbE0BEY1X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Installing the Jeep block heater requires removing the alternator. Unless you're in a very cold climate, I'm not sure I would do it.
I have used silicone pads like this for a long time. Be aware that despite similar sizes these units can have WILDLY varying power outputs.

The one linked to above is 3.5 x 4.5 inches and is 250 watts.

This one is 4 x 5 and is only 50 watts.
So it's not going to get nearly as hot.
I'm not sure which is better for you. I just wanted to make sure that people understand that you can get very different levels of heat. They are also readily available in roughly 100 watt versions.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JGC1T2P
Sponsored