First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Civic
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is there such a thing? Or has anyone added one? Last week I drove 200 miles from Key Largo to Ft. Lauderdale with the tailgate down. Fortunately, nothing flew out during the drive north.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I do not think that is something anybody thought until now that needed to be addressed.

Probably some way to rig up a pressure switch and idiot light but most would probably just make sure their tail gate is closed and securely latched if hauling cargo. Not saying this to belittle, just we all have brain farts and things like this just reinforce the double check standard.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
When mine was brand new I think my latch was a little sticky because twice I put it up in the first few months of ownership to find it down when I got to my destination. Luckily I didnā€™t have anything back there. After this my paranoia kicked in and now anytime I put it up I give the tailgate a jiggle just to make sure itā€™s actually locked in place. I also now toggle over to the back up camera under controls just to really make sure if Iā€™m already on the road.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve had my tailgate come open. I like to think I didnā€™t close it well. I find myself using backup camera to verify its closed if Iā€™m ever not sure.
Me too. Twice or three times.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve had my tailgate come open. I like to think I didnā€™t close it well. I find myself using backup camera to verify its closed if Iā€™m ever not sure.
That's what I've done. I keep the backup cam app handy and just hit the icon on the screen.

JT_Guadi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Happened to me a while ago, luckily the car behind did honk to let me know and nothing flew out of the bed. I was thinking a warning light could be a nice idea. Now i just turn on my reverse camera to see that the tailgate is in the up and locked position after a few minutes of driving.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It would be really easy to add a switch to the tailgate area, run a wire up to a small LED placed somewhere you could see it, but not intrusive.
So you run power from almost anywhere to the LED, run a wire back to the tailgate area and use an old-fashioned dome light switch. They are a simple push-button that ground the wire connected to it when the button is released, and ungrounds it when it's pressed.
Think 1970s cars and trucks.
If you want to drive with the tailgate down, you can always either ignore the light, or, put a switch in place that kills the light. You've got easy access via the area behind the tail light assemblies. They are adjacent to the tailgate.

Using a LED up front would draw hardly any current at all so you could connect to any power source and use 18 gauge (even 20 gauge) wire to the switch in the back.

Jeep Gladiator Adding tailgate open warning light? 1679976723496

Starting in the late 1960s, they went to a smaller profile all metal switch that screws in, some have more than one terminal for key-in-ignition buzzer, etc.
I could pull some switches out of a car I'm parting if someone is serious but they are likely in the fix-it aisle at any parts store for 3 or 4 bucks, Amazon or eBait, whatever.

Rozik169

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator overland
Occupation
Pa turnpike
Its happen to me before also luckily I had my tube doors on and a fellow door less Jeep yelled your tailgate is down.

Sponsored

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Install a (NO) hood pin or similar switch and wired to the hood ajar circuit with a bypass latch switch for when hauling with tailgate down. It'll also trigger an alarm if someone breaking into the tailgate. Hood ajar indicator lamp will illuminate when tailgate malfunction. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
same here i check the backup camera before i hit the highway, but now i secure everything i have in the back just incase. The tailgate popped open couple times when i first got it, it a crazy feeling seeing the ground wizzing by at highway speeds when you hit the backup camera ...

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I have a harder time with you saying that Key Largo to Ft Lauderdale is 200 miles... Key West isn't even that far away...

Other have mentioned the rear camera, That's what I have used too. I have the camera app on the "task bar" of the head unit so I can get to it very easily.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a harder time with you saying that Key Largo to Ft Lauderdale is 200 miles... Key West isn't even that far away...

Other have mentioned the rear camera, That's what I have used too. I have the camera app on the "task bar" of the head unit so I can get to it very easily.
I love that idea. Iā€™m being lazy by asking, but do you know if the rear camera app can be put on the taskbar on the 7ā€ head unit?
Sponsored