Sponsored

Admit it. Now that you own a JT, JKU's aren't necessary!

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I really, really like my Gladiator. It's a great driving truck with a much more powerful engine than my 2007 JKU. It rides nicer on the highway, the electronics are awesome. It's a Rubi vs the JK X (these days called a Sport). But, I can see no clear path to making it the overlanding rig that the JK is. There isn't the accessible space that the back of the Wrangler offers. Even adding a bed rack won't solve that access problem, and the drawer systems give up precious storage space and are awkward to use (e.g., can't use that great tailgate as a table without having to remove everything and place it where? to slide out a drawer). Reaching from the sides into a bed to grab gear is a nuisance. There are solutions, but they aren't compatible with what I wanted with a pickup truck: A pickup truck with a usable bed. And I'm not at all fond of the 4.0:1 transfer case. The gear ratio in the X T-case is better suited for overlanding. Bottom line, I'll keep both, and use the JK primarily for overlanding, and the JT on occasional trips.

Here are a couple videos that may help contrast how I use my rigs. First, the Gladiator earlier this year along El Camino del Diablo, AZ (this is just the teaser to help you decide if you're interested, but the full series is now online and shows here and there how I use the Gladiator in camp, which is where the JK shines) ...

Second, a run of the TransAmerica Trail and sidetrips across Oklahoma in my JK (this full series is also now online and also illustrates at times how I use the rig in camp) ...

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I prefer the open access and easy use of a bed vs the interior rear cargo of a JKU. Forget having to open a door every time you need access to storage. That was the one thing I hated most about my 2 door JK. Even more than the limited space. Opening that door and rolling up the soft window to access my shit was a PITA. JT FTW!!

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I really, really like my Gladiator. It's a great driving truck with a much more powerful engine than my 2007 JKU. It rides nicer on the highway, the electronics are awesome. It's a Rubi vs the JK X (these days called a Sport). But, I can see no clear path to making it the overlanding rig that the JK is. There isn't the accessible space that the back of the Wrangler offers. Even adding a bed rack won't solve that access problem, and the drawer systems give up precious storage space and are awkward to use (e.g., can't use that great tailgate as a table without having to remove everything and place it where? to slide out a drawer). Reaching from the sides into a bed to grab gear is a nuisance. There are solutions, but they aren't compatible with what I wanted with a pickup truck: A pickup truck with a usable bed. And I'm not at all fond of the 4.0:1 transfer case. The gear ratio in the X T-case is better suited for overlanding. Bottom line, I'll keep both, and use the JK primarily for overlanding, and the JT on occasional trips.

Here are a couple videos that may help contrast how I use my rigs. First, the Gladiator earlier this year along El Camino del Diablo, AZ (this is just the teaser to help you decide if you're interested, but the full series is now online and shows here and there how I use the Gladiator in camp, which is where the JK shines) ...

Second, a run of the TransAmerica Trail and sidetrips across Oklahoma in my JK (this full series is also now online and also illustrates at times how I use the rig in camp) ...

those With a bed cab shell on the gladiator will have more room than the those w the room behind the JK.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well I still own my JKUR and it'll wheel a lot better than my JTR (and yours)...so there's that.

Plus, 2dr Jeeps suck. They're the worst of Jeeps now. They look horrid, they wheel horrid (footprint is not only bad but dangerous at times) and they have no space. Just leave those for HS girls.

OP
OP
Tacobuster

Tacobuster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2020 LT1 Camaro
Well I still own my JKUR and it'll wheel a lot better than my JTR (and yours)...so there's that.

Plus, 2dr Jeeps suck. They're the worst of Jeeps now. They look horrid, they wheel horrid (footprint is not only bad but dangerous at times) and they have no space. Just leave those for HS girls.
I think these are the new demographics.

2 door - fun seekers
unlimited - soccer moms
gladiator - people that dont need to speak to the manager.

JMO

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think these are the new demographics.

2 door - fun seekers
unlimited - soccer moms
gladiator - people that dont need to speak to the manager.

JMO
Post your wheeling in your “no manager speaking” longer than an unlimited truck then.

OP
OP
Tacobuster

Tacobuster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Post your wheeling in your “no manager speaking” longer than an unlimited truck then.
For the fun I enjoy, This is the only time I have ever been stuck in a Jeep. I doubt any wheelbase would have mattered.

jV2618184.JPG

OP
OP
Tacobuster

Tacobuster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you’re a soccer a mom in any Jeep?
No but I didnt need to speak to the manager. I just pulled it out with my truck.
Do you have something against soccer moms?
Sponsored