Sponsored

Advice for Overlanding Mods

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I picked up a Sport S with Max Towing last Christmas. Love the truck! I live in Colorado near some amazing trails and would like to use my Gladiator to get into overlanding. This is all new to me and I'm looking for advice for planning some basic mods to my JT. I recently finished a complete, rotisserie restoration on a 1970 Mustang Mach 1, so I should be able to handle any mechanical work myself.

I'm not interested in doing any rock crawling or seriously difficult trails. But some of the trails I'm interested in are mostly "Blue" with short "Red" sections. I don't want to scrape or get stuck on the Red trail areas. In summary:

- Thinking of doing a "budget boost", but I'm seeing a lot of spacers. Would it be better to simply install bigger springs?

- I would like wider tires, but I'm reluctant to install taller tires because I don't want to kill my factory 4.10 gearing or mess with the spedometer

- Most of the aftermarket bumpers I'm seeing online are steel. I'm thinking that would add a lot of weight to my truck. Would aluminum bumpers be a better choice?

- My JT currently has the factory optional side steps which are plastic. They're great for helping Mrs. Klutch get in and out, but I want something that could double as a rock rail and a step. Is this doable? Again, aluminum would be nice to save on weight, but maybe that's not durable enough for rock rails.

Thanks!
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Rock rails: Yes, they can be used as steps. I have A Rubicon and I took the factory sliders off and went with Rock Hard angled down rails. My wife is 5'-1" and needed "help" to get in and these did the trick. There are other brands out there that can accomplish the same thing.

Lift: Haven't done it yet and may not. I went with 35/12.50R17 and they fit the Rubi without lift.
I have researched budget lifts and leveling kits and I just don't like the idea of plastic being a structural part of the suspension. I do believe I can do an ala carte half lift or leveling using springs, new sway bar end links, bump stop, and either extensions or new shocks all on the front. Look at Synergy Mfg. and you can get an idea on the prices for those parts. For just a 2" lift on the front you can purchase a set of Mopar rear sway bar links to add to the other parts, that is the cheapest route on those.

Reason why I suggest Synergy, their springs are supposed to be the softest of the dual rate springs available.

Bumpers: There are aluminum available in all styles and sizes. More expensive, but save a bunch of weight. They offer protection, but will get torn up easier if you start sliding and bouncing off of boulders. I would suggest a steel rear bumper that incorporates some slider protection for rear bottom quarter panels. That is the most exposed area when on the trails.

Good luck and have fun. Building YOUR Gladiator the way YOU want to is half the fun.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Rock rails: Yes, they can be used as steps. I have A Rubicon and I took the factory sliders off and went with Rock Hard angled down rails. My wife is 5'-1" and needed "help" to get in and these did the trick. There are other brands out there that can accomplish the same thing.

Lift: Haven't done it yet and may not. I went with 35/12.50R17 and they fit the Rubi without lift.
I have researched budget lifts and leveling kits and I just don't like the idea of plastic being a structural part of the suspension. I do believe I can do an ala carte half lift or leveling using springs, new sway bar end links, bump stop, and either extensions or new shocks all on the front. Look at Synergy Mfg. and you can get an idea on the prices for those parts. For just a 2" lift on the front you can purchase a set of Mopar rear sway bar links to add to the other parts, that is the cheapest route on those.

Reason why I suggest Synergy, their springs are supposed to be the softest of the dual rate springs available.

Bumpers: There are aluminum available in all styles and sizes. More expensive, but save a bunch of weight. They offer protection, but will get torn up easier if you start sliding and bouncing off of boulders. I would suggest a steel rear bumper that incorporates some slider protection for rear bottom quarter panels. That is the most exposed area when on the trails.

Good luck and have fun. Building YOUR Gladiator the way YOU want to is half the fun.
That's very helpful. Thanks for the input.

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
I wonder how much lift you would get with a Rubicon take off suspension.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I wonder how much lift you would get with a Rubicon take off suspension.
From what others have said, you only gain about 0.75 inches.

The Rubi gains it's advantage with the fender flares being higher.
Sponsored