Sponsored

AEV 2" Spacer Lift

CyberTom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I installed the AEV 2" Spacer Lift. Priced at $449 its rather inexpensive. It's a pretty easy install and it's very complete...until you get to instructions for connecting the Pro Cal Snap module. Fortunately someone created a nice YouTube video showing how to hook it up.

The lift is a pretty straight forward install. They even include some metal plates to drop down the REAR DRIVE SHAFT PILLOW BLOCK which keeps the rear drive shaft angle where you want it.

My only issue with with the lift is the POLYURETHANE SPRING SPACER BLOCKS. AEV has you remove the MOLDED RUBBER SPRING ISOLATORS and insert the SPRING SPACERS. Plastic is NOT rubber and as a result when driving over bumps you often get a little rattling (plastic against metal) that wasn't there before.

AEV didn’t make it out of plastic because it was the best for ride quality or as a method of isolating the spring from the frame. It was the easiest way to manufacture a spacer that would hold a 2” gap and yet retain the molded shape for the spring.

I have found that occasional rattling annoying enough that I plan to remove the AEV spacer kit and install a full lift that retains the Mopar MOLDED RUBBER SPRING ISOLATORS.

I don’t want to come off too harsh on this spacer kit. It’s a good value. I’m just very particular.

I am attaching a photo of what is include in the kit and the instructions if anyone is interested.

Jeep Gladiator AEV 2" Spacer Lift AEV Spacer Lift.PNG
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I'm going to suggest that if you are experiencing a rattle, that something is loose, and it's not the poly spring spacers. I used poly spring spacers on mine early on, and I've also installed that same lift on a friend's Jeep. There is enough tension on them at all times that those AEV (poly) spacers are not going to rattle around.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
im not sure if this has to do with anything but is everything torqued to spec and did you see if anything is interfering with anything ?
A little video clip might help us to hear what your hearing :D

Sponsored

OP
OP
CyberTom

CyberTom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea this is not my 1st rodeo. All I can say is buy it yourself and see what you think.

Every bolt was torqued back down to specifications. There is a reason Mopar chose to make the SPRING ISOLATOR out of molded rubber vs polyurethane.

I’m pretty picky and it’s possible many people wouldn’t notice the difference but I do.

I’m favoring the Mopar lift which retains the factory SPRING ISOLATORS. Once I have that installed I will compare ride quality and suspension noise.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
Mine doesn’t make this noise. Sounds and feels stock.

Timgco

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I have the AEV 2” spacer lift. No rattles from mine on or off-road.
the rear spacers are a little tougher to index so the indexing pin was through the upper bucket.

04BB961B-346F-4B9D-9834-4BFAC8E674B7.jpeg

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
My AEV spacer lift is rattle free. I’m pretty much OCD and as particular as anyone I’ve ever met and the AEV kit has been flawless.

I recommend double checking the lower control arm bolts for proper torque. 190 ft-lbs is no joke and if you don’t get all the way there that could be the source of your rattle. Ask me how I know….

OP
OP
CyberTom

CyberTom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My AEV spacer lift is rattle free. I’m pretty much OCD and as particular as anyone I’ve ever met and the AEV kit has been flawless.

I recommend double checking the lower control arm bolts for proper torque. 190 ft-lbs is no joke and if you don’t get all the way there that could be the source of your rattle. Ask me how I know….
The rear LOWER CONTROL ARMS are specified for 111 lbs of torque in the attached AEV instructions. Unless your saying the instructions are wrong. 190 lbs of torque seems really high for any suspension bolt.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CyberTom

CyberTom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate everybody’s feedback here but nobody has made the case that polyurethane is a better isolator between spring and frame than molded rubber, nor would I expect you to because at that point your saying you know more than the engineers who designed it.

I’m planning on buying the Mopar 2” lift. The people who have installed it claim a stock ride but with greater articulation which is one benefit of a REAL lift kit. Not only do they retain the MOLDED RUBBER ISOLATORS but they include longer LOWER FRONT CONTROL ARMS to keep the pinion angle perfect.

I will post again once I have the new lift installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CyberTom

CyberTom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the AEV 2” spacer lift. No rattles from mine on or off-road.
the rear spacers are a little tougher to index so the indexing pin was through the upper bucket.

04BB961B-346F-4B9D-9834-4BFAC8E674B7.jpeg
Like you I take my Gladiator off-road. I just came back from a Colorado trip last week. I did Engineer and Imogene passes. The lower part of Engineer out of Ouray is gnarly. The rest of it is a cake walk other than the heights. If you don't like heights do not do these trails.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The rear LOWER CONTROL ARMS are specified for 111 lbs of torque in the attached AEV instructions. Unless your saying the instructions are wrong. 190 lbs of torque seems really high for any suspension bolt.
The rear lower control arms are torqued to 111 ft/lb + 60 or 65 (depending on end) degrees of bolt rotation. That puts them around 190 ft/lbs. If you didn’t add that, you are way under the specified torque. I don’t think anyone here is trying to suggest that a poly spacer is “better” than a rubber spring isolator, but the poly spacer is not likely to be causing your rattle. That poly spacer provides plenty of cushion for the spring, and it is always under enough spring tension to keep it from moving around. Also check the spec on the uppers if you didn’t catch the added bolt rotation after the initial torque. The rear uppers should be 185-200 ft/lbs depending on end.

Jeep Gladiator AEV 2" Spacer Lift B9BB0A2E-8C6C-471D-BAB2-133AEEE947ED

Last edited:

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Like you I take my Gladiator off-road. I just came back from a Colorado trip last week. I did Engineer and Imogene passes. The lower part of Engineer out of Ouray is gnarly. The rest of it is a cake walk other than the heights. If you don't like heights do not do these trails.
If you thought those heights were bad, do Black Bear.

OP
OP
CyberTom

CyberTom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you thought those heights were bad, do Black Bear.
Not impressed with Black Bear. It’s a simple trail. Cars have done that trail. I did Cliff Hangar in Moab in the dark over significant obstacles because someone broke down on the way out.

I have nothing to prove.
Sponsored