Sponsored

AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results!

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
Getting ready for another trip to Moab this year and after adding the new tires and wheels (Method 387 ROOST and 35X12.5 BFG AT KO2s) it was time to get some more clearance – minor articulation rubbed the fender liners and the ARB bumper. I was originally planning on the Mopar 2 inch lift kit to maintain my warranty (on the suspension parts only) but ultimately decided the AEV 2.5” Dualsport lift kit was more complete and better tuned for my heavier additions. Reason for picking this kit:
  • I already installed a YETI Steer smarts adjustable track bar – kits that included a new track bar were not required for me.
  • Triple rate coils and tuned Billstein shocks for the gladiator specifically were key – The stock Rubicon ride was too soft before I added a bed rack, tent, decked system and all the cargo for any adventure.
  • Included Geometry correction brackets – similar to the Mopar kit including new LCAs
  • Included speedometer correction OBDII tuner (Pro Cal Snap) - saves a trip to the dealer or buying a separate tuner.
  • AEV proven worldwide reputation for quality – and many other positive reviews.
After careful consideration and reviews of the other suspension kits on the market, for me the AEV Dual Sport 2.5” kit was an easy choice. I ordered from Northridge4x4 and the kit arrived quickly. Installation was pretty straight forward – took me longer than the stated 5 hours but a heavy weekend of rain certainly impacted the timeline. For the most part the instructions were complete; however my kit was missing 2 M6x1.0x25mm flanged bolts for the sway bar link relocation – more on that later.

The complete kit includes two separate “products” The lift itself and the geometry correction bracket kit – which can be bought separately. Instructions for both are referred to as a ‘Guide’
I did not get as many ‘in process’ photos as I typically like to due to the weather and the resultant mood/frustration.

Before and After shot:
Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! before and after.PNG

Action shots first (otherwise known as rapid depreciation)

Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627164425472

Reasonable articulation on 35s – going up Hamburger Hill!

Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627164481302

Good flex and performance up Poison Spyder Mesa

My overall comments then the in depth details follow
The jeep handles noticeably different (for the better) after this lift kit. The suspension is more firm and it feels more controllable. Meaning impulses to the steering wheel do not resonate in that magic carpet body sway feeling. Body roll around corners is more under control and the ride itself just feels so much better. I commute a lot in this vehicle and feel it is much more comfortable now. I was also able to take the ‘high speed’ mesa portion of Poison Spyder Mesa far more easily and comfortable than my brother in-law in a JLUR with an Old Man Emu lift – he commented how it must be a far better ride up there in the Gladiator! My only complaints were that the missing bolts from the kit (I contacted AEV so they could remedy this going forward) and then I will note the geometry correction brackets lower the front LCA (by design) so they become a bit of a rock magnet if you pick your line poorly or are just given no other option.

What is included in the box?
Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627164616647

Overall installation comments:
  • I did this easily in my driveway over the course of two days
  • It took longer than the 5 hours stated
  • I did NOT have to loosen the rear control arms to install this kit (saving the need to re-torque in a puddle)
  • I used an engine hoist to get the front and rear up high enough to get the coils (not at the same time)
  • In conjunctions with the engine hoist I used the OE scissor jack to push between the bump stop(s) to gain clearance required for coil installation
  • The ‘guide’ only covers installation of the AEV components no post lift adjustments
The missing hardware from my kit was the upper ‘AEV Hardware’ fastener from this image so if you order this kit open the bag first and make sure you have them!

Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627164657706

Instructions will have you bend the brake line brackets on the front control arms to increase travel – not hard but not nearly as nice of an end product as the picture in the instructions:

Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627164675656

Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627164703178

Note: I did not opt for the optional trim as noted – the lower mount point of the front correction brackets proved to be more problematic than that tab…

A tip for coil installation (at your own risk) to get the necessary droop for spring installation – I also used a ratchet strap on the opposite side to pull up – sorry no picture.

Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627164734325

The instructions say it may be easier to remove the caliper – just do it, it makes it easier and then you are not worried about over extending the brake lines

Proof the jack spacer doubles as a wheel chock:
Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627164747591

When everything was finally installed the instructions stop there and do not help with your now off center axle and wrongly clocked steering wheel (lights up the dash for the Electronic Stability Control System). For the uninitiated I’ll step through what to do next.

If you are not comfortable with this part take it to an alignment shop; however with the steering wheel rotated as severely as mine was (the drag link adjustment is not explained) the ESC light was on – the jeep essentially thinks you are driving a prolonged power slide and MAY eventually put you in limp mode I am told – though I did not experience this. The adjustment for this is very easy.

Drag Link Adjustment
Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627164778214

Note: Does not require additional hardware not provided in the kit. The OE drag link has built in adjustment.

I found it easiest to have someone in the front seat engine running (so there was power steering) and then do the following steps:
  • Loosen the clamp bolt
  • Adjust the sleeve (out) lengthening the drag link which will in turn (no pun intended) return the steering wheel to the nominal position removing the dash error.
  • Get up and look at it yourself to fine tune until you are happy
  • Tighten the bolt
Track Bar Adjustment
Note: Requires an adjustable track bar NOT provided with the AEV dual sport kit.

I had previously installed the YETI Steer Smarts Adjustable track bar so this step was easy for me. I intentionally provide a photo BEFORE the adjustment to illustrate the shifted front axle after installing this lift kit and not making any adjustments (look at the link) the picture does not do it justice.

Same as the drag link loosen the clamp nuts/bolts and turn the threaded portion lengthen the track bar to drive the axle to the side required (as indicated by your springs and links not straight up and down) then don’t forget to tighten.

Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! IMG_20210724_193022

Note: This misalignment due to the track bar length can make it tough to install the front links if you don't have an adjustable track bar.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeepDadiator

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
Note: these were not taken in exactly the same spot of my driveway - nor is my driveway the most level; just some pre and post checks for a good understanding of the additional height provided:

Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627856754401

Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! 1627856835900

Sorry for the delay - I put together some pictures of the suspension travel after the lift - I don't have access to a proper RTI ramp so I improvised:
Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! RTI.PNG

Measurements of cab height BEFORE lift:
Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! Before Lift.PNG

Rear Travel NOTE: my rear sway bar was disconnected in this photo:
Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! Rear Travel.PNG

Opposing side full stuff - removal of fender liner could allow 37s - also recall the sway bar was disconnected:

Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! Passenger.PNG

Found a "twin" in the Home Depot parking lot :)
Jeep Gladiator AEV JT 2.5″ DUALSPORT RT SUSPENSION - Installation, tips and MOAB results! TWIN.PNG

Last edited:

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Excellent Choice AEV.. Many Jeep engineers and Mopar Accessory engineers now work at AEV. Have same 2.5 Dual Sport on our '13 JKU and Yes it performs/rides much better; we used Rancho GC brackets. With the '21 Mojave due in next week The plans DO NOT include a lift to run 35s. Enjoy your Ride.. The pics were good too, just did Moab in June.

UsuallyLost

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR MT
Watching this thread closely. I have a JTR on order and would like to run this kit with 35’s. I’m hoping the kit isn’t too tall for 35’s. I’m also curious as to the actual lift you ended up with. Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
JeepDadiator

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
Watching this thread closely. I have a JTR on order and would like to run this kit with 35’s. I’m hoping the kit isn’t too tall for 35’s. I’m also curious as to the actual lift you ended up with. Thanks for posting!
I am working on the measurements pictures and will hopefully upload tomorrow. I was afraid it would be too much for 35s too. As with most things you have to honest about your goal.. for the extra space at static ride height isn't goofy looking because I know I need it for actual articulation - so I'll take it. I think with 35s it looks great. Hopefully my updated pictures tomorrow help to show the real clearance/story. And congrats on the new jeep!

Sponsored

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Looks great. You may not *need* to loosen the control arms to install the coils, but you should loosen and re-torque them with the vehicle on the ground. This will remove the bind the bushings are currently under as the ride height was changed with the arms fully torqued.

OP
OP
JeepDadiator

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
Looks great. You may not *need* to loosen the control arms to install the coils, but you should loosen and re-torque them with the vehicle on the ground. This will remove the bind the bushings are currently under as the ride height was changed with the arms fully torqued.

Thank you - totally understand your point I went with lots of articulation after then re-torque to check and everything was in spec.

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Excellent Choice AEV.. Many Jeep engineers and Mopar Accessory engineers now work at AEV. Have same 2.5 Dual Sport on our '13 JKU and Yes it performs/rides much better; we used Rancho GC brackets. With the '21 Mojave due in next week The plans DO NOT include a lift to run 35s. Enjoy your Ride.. The pics were good too, just did Moab in June.
The AEV lift is pretty good on the Mojave too. :like:

UsuallyLost

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR MT
I am working on the measurements pictures and will hopefully upload tomorrow. I was afraid it would be too much for 35s too. As with most things you have to honest about your goal.. for the extra space at static ride height isn't goofy looking because I know I need it for actual articulation - so I'll take it. I think with 35s it looks great. Hopefully my updated pictures tomorrow help to show the real clearance/story. And congrats on the new jeep!

UPDATE????

I’ve ordered the AEV 2.5” kit. Down to tire and wheel selection now.

Sponsored

YO_Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94YJ..... '21 JTR!
Any updates?
How is the lift wearing in?
Any other of the local trails? (Westslope guy here so everything between you and Moab is local)

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Glad' and a Industry friend recommended that look at this lift...

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Nicely done! Looks great!

PS you must loosen the control arms and torque them with the full weight of the vehicle on them. If you don’t, you will wear out your bushings faster than normal.

OP
OP
JeepDadiator

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
Any updates?
How is the lift wearing in?
Any other of the local trails? (Westslope guy here so everything between you and Moab is local)

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Glad' and a Industry friend recommended that look at this lift...
Wearing in very well - that is to say I have not had any issues. I re-torqued everything as the instructions indicate and have been out and back to Moab with it as noted so lots of miles. Have also done numerous Colorado adventures. Still love it wouldn't change a thing except maybe 37s.... I haven't taken measurements to verify any sag yet but the ride is still a massive improvement and flex has been Fantastic.
The other trails I have run were more overland routes. Did a two night adventure over Georgia Pass then down into Montezuma by way of Middle Fork / Swan River - explored that whole area. The amount of lift with 35s works great no belly dragging anymore over the woops and plenty of room to stuff tires.
Also took it down to Telluride for Muzzleloader season and did a fair bit of off highway scouting just outside of town there - was again very pleased with performance.

I have some work travel coming up and then I'm heading back out to Moab by way of the Rimrocker trail so will be back out in Gand Junction soon. Then more and more Moab. No hamburger hill this time.

Another note - I took mine in for it's last wave program oil change and had the 30k maintenance done (I drive it alot). While it was there I asked my dealer about the lift and tires vs. my warranty considering others have had issues. These guys (AutoNation jeep in Centennial) said obviously they won't warranty the components but that the AEV kit is essentially a factory lift so they don't give anyone trouble for having it they also rotated my 35s no complaints. Have heard others having issues with that too.

OP
OP
JeepDadiator

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
Nicely done! Looks great!

PS you must loosen the control arms and torque them with the full weight of the vehicle on them. If you don’t, you will wear out your bushings faster than normal.
I went back and did this. My rainy weekend originally left me in a quicker mode than I wanted to be.