First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
So after much searching and many phone calls and being told I can't flat tow with the RX front bumper I have a solution. I have found a company that was recommended by AEV, that makes a flat tow adapter that connects the RX front bumper tow points to a Blue Ox tow bar. It does not change anything on the bumper side, so approach angles are not affected.

I don't know what they look like, but I placed my order today and hope to have them in 2-3 weeks.

The company is Adventure Offroad, in Huntington Beach, Ca. and I spoke with Mike Rice who was super helpful and knowledgeable. His direct number is 714-475-6512. www.adventureoffroad.com
Sponsored

Bob W

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
We are looking at the same thing on our JT, did you get these and do you have any pictures?

OP
OP
cturrisi

cturrisi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employeed
Unfortunately it will not work because when the adapter swings upward, as would happen when pulling in or out of a steep driveway, the adapter makes contact with the bumper. Since there is nowhere for the adapter to go, something has to bend. I have bought the blue ox and roadmaster adapters, same issue with both.

I have designed new shackle mounts and prototypes are being made as we speak. They will replace the entire aev mount and allow the use of any adapter.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I have a Blue Ox 10,000 lb tow bar and the adapters to go with it for sale.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cturrisi

cturrisi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employeed
Here is a picture of the blue ox hitting the bumper

Unfortunately it will not work because when the adapter swings upward, as would happen when pulling in or out of a steep driveway, the adapter makes contact with the bumper. Since there is nowhere for the adapter to go, something has to bend. I have bought the blue ox and roadmaster adapters, same issue with both.

I have designed new shackle mounts and prototypes are being made as we speak. They will replace the entire aev mount and allow the use of any adapter.
B66E290C-3A30-40AB-AED4-89FAF467B755.jpeg

ElmerKTM

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
You may already know this, and not trying to be antagonistic, but only Rockhard and LOD (maybe ARB as well) advertise that their bumpers are rated to flat tow. I just installed the Rockford Patriot aluminum bumper on my JTR and couldn't be happier. At the same time, I purchased and installed a Warn VR winch and Roadmaster Sterling tower. The folks at Rockford put it all together and shipped it to me.

OP
OP
cturrisi

cturrisi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employeed
You may already know this, and not trying to be antagonistic, but only Rockhard and LOD (maybe ARB as well) advertise that their bumpers are rated to flat tow. I just installed the Rockford Patriot aluminum bumper on my JTR and couldn't be happier. At the same time, I purchased and installed a Warn VR winch and Roadmaster Sterling tower. The folks at Rockford put it all together and shipped it to me.

You are absolutely correct about that. Problem is that if you buy an AEV vehicle it has the bumper already installed. Talking with AEV directly each d ring mount is rated to 12,000lbs and they have no concerns flat towing with their bumper, but never got it tested for the verification because they feel there is little demand for the ability.

FORDGURU

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL & JT
You are absolutely correct about that. Problem is that if you buy an AEV vehicle it has the bumper already installed. Talking with AEV directly each d ring mount is rated to 12,000lbs and they have no concerns flat towing with their bumper, but never got it tested for the verification because they feel there is little demand for the ability.
pm sent

cranegineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for sharing your experiences Chris. I bought a 2021 AEV Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL370 with the RX front bumper. I am working on prepping it for towing behind a motorhome and dealing with the same issue.

When I contacted AEV they told me that a customer had reported using the Blue Ox Off Road Bumper Adapter kit successfully. I wonder if that was you. I bought the Jeep thinking I would have no issues. But, since your latest posts I know I have a ways to go. I am certainly interested in your tow bar attachment fix and your plan for attaching safety chains.

Steve

Sponsored

OP
OP
cturrisi

cturrisi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employeed
I was told that the Blue Ox would also work after speaking to the NE AEV rep before buying the JT370 and also tech support at AEV. I purchased the Blue Ox adapters and quickly found out it didnā€™t work. Calling AEV back to tell them they were wrong I also spoke to the parts department to order a replacement tow hook to get dimensions and that worker said that he knew the Blue Oz didnā€™t work. Seems like he is the only person there that knows.
Here is the design that was sent to the fabrication shop for the first prototype. The news mounts will be 3/4ā€ thick.

JEEP TOW BAR BRACKET v7 - PASSENGER v4.png

JEEP TOW BAR BRACKET v7 - PASSENGER v2.png

Snowcavemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We are looking at the same thing on our JT, did you get these and do you have any pictures?
I bought a rock hard engineering aluminum bumper. they sell steel as well. the have mouts that bolt to the frame for all the tow bar manufacturers
Jeep Gladiator AEV RX front bumper flat tow solution! 20210301_070512

cranegineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was told that the Blue Ox would also work after speaking to the NE AEV rep before buying the JT370 and also tech support at AEV. I purchased the Blue Ox adapters and quickly found out it didnā€™t work. Calling AEV back to tell them they were wrong I also spoke to the parts department to order a replacement tow hook to get dimensions and that worker said that he knew the Blue Oz didnā€™t work. Seems like he is the only person there that knows.
Here is the design that was sent to the fabrication shop for the first prototype. The news mounts will be 3/4ā€ thick.

I like your design with the increased thickness. I would like to solve my problem similarly. Would your fab shop send me a pair if I contacted them?

Snowcavemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Engineer
sorry for the delay. this is from rockhard Engineering out of Nebraska. just tell them what tow bar you have. I love the aluminum bumper. the tow bracket bolts to the frame. it fits the factory fog led fog lights. I am running a Putco light bar that handles the turn, running, and stop. super bright. I also put in side marker lights. no connection to the OEM circuit.

grayhawk79

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

Cturrisi,

Just seeing if you had any updates on your brackets and see if they work or if you have got them in yet.

Thanks
Sponsored