Sponsored

AEV Salta XR vs. Warn Moonsault - Can't decide!

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
I need help deciding on wheels. This is the first time I've bought wheels so I'm just looking for a headcheck... I have a Hydro Blue JTR on order, will be delivered towards the end of April. I work for Goodyear and they will swap over the non-GY oem tires to a GY tire free of charge and let me go up to a 35" paying the difference in value. The catch, it has to be done in the first 500 miles. I'm getting the truck from a dealer in Philly and I live in Pittsburgh, about 350 miles away so my clock is ticking rapidly. I need to be in possession of the wheels when I take delivery of the truck.

I've been planning on the AEV Salta XRs in Onyx all along but they're now out of stock and can't tell me when the next batch will come in. The warn Moonsault wheels have always been a close 2nd. What have you found shipping times to be like when ordering wheels? I'm also noticing some vendors charge tax, some don't, same for shipping... When dealing with $12-1300 this is significant. Any suggestions on the best places to order?

- The Warn wheels are 7lbs lighter and $30 cheaper/wheel
- Both wheels are hubcentric and can use OEM lug nuts
- The AEV wheels are in stock for the black ones, do you guys think those will be too dark on my truck? Same question for the black Warn wheels. I'm kinda over black wheels but still think they look sharp.
- How dark is Warn's gunmetal color? All the pics I'm seeing online are not very clear

I like the fitment of the AEV wheels a bit better on paper, the backspacing tucks the tires a bit more, I'd prefer less poke. Does this matter much in the real world? +25mm vs. 0mm offset.

Or should I bag it all and get the AEV Pintler wheels in Onyx which is what I had originally started with. Any comments/suggestions/etc. would be helpful. It was easier picking the options for my truck!

https://www.warn.com/epic-wheels-moonsault-black-106685
https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/salta-xr/
https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/pintler-jeep-jl-wheel/
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I would stick with the AEV wheels for the fitment. Check out Quadratec brand wheels they have some that are very similar fitment to the AEV wheels.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Can’t you just get the tires? Thanks for posting this for two reasons.
1.) I never knew that you should not powder coat aluminum wheels as it affects the strength and voids the warranty with AEV, wow.
2.) I’m part of the Mack family, and when Mack Trucks had Goodyear as standard tires, I would get a letter to give to any Goodyear dealer to get whatever I wanted, and only pay mount and balancing, if dealer wanted , but they usually never did. Miss those days almost as much as the blimp rides which were cool other then the landings!
Jeep Gladiator AEV Salta XR vs. Warn Moonsault - Can't decide! E9030E63-B91B-47F3-8516-FC92078CBD43

...... Jack A. Mack “an original Bulldog”

OP
OP
blau iii

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Can’t you just get the tires? Thanks for posting this for two reasons.
1.) I never knew that you should not powder coat aluminum wheels as it affects the strength and voids the warranty with AEV, wow.
2.) I’m part of the Mack family, and when Mack Trucks had Goodyear as standard tires, I would get a letter to give to any Goodyear dealer to get whatever I wanted, and only pay mount and balancing, if dealer wanted , but they usually never did. Miss those days almost as much as the blimp rides which were cool other then the landings!

...... Jack A. Mack “an original Bulldog”
Yea.. those days are over. I can’t use the oem wheels, they’re not wide enough for 12.5 tires.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the Aev Salta's look amazing man,Im not such a big fan on the warn wheels,Id go with the Aev's knowing that they are a great brand and they just look awesome IMO,but choose what makes you happy you know :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
blau iii

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah the Aev Salta's look amazing man,Im not such a big fan on the warn wheels,Id go with the Aev's knowing that they are a great brand and they just look awesome IMO,but choose what makes you happy you know :)
That's the problem... I really wanted the AEVs in Onyx but they're out of stock and due to work buying my tires, I have a tough deadline. I'm leaning towards just getting the Saltas in Black and being done with it.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
That's the problem... I really wanted the AEVs in Onyx but they're out of stock and due to work buying my tires, I have a tough deadline. I'm leaning towards just getting the Saltas in Black and being done with it.
Well the Aev Salta's shoudl still look great in black and i was just looking at them and i like them a bit more....just cause you can see the branding of the letters where it says "Salta XR" that made me like em more,But yeah man just choose what is more of your taste :)

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Sting Gray, 2017 VW Golf Alltrack
Warn has them made in Chine and AEV uses an Italian supplier for the Salta XR. I would go with a European supplier over Chines if I were given the choice.
A ton of people are running 12.5 tires on the OEM wheel. You can always run them that way while you wait for the Salta XR's to come in.

OP
OP
blau iii

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Warn has them made in Chine and AEV uses an Italian supplier for the Salta XR. I would go with a European supplier over Chines if I were given the choice.
A ton of people are running 12.5 tires on the OEM wheel. You can always run them that way while you wait for the Salta XR's to come in.
I'm impatient, already loosing my mind waiting for the truck to be built.. I'm learning towards the Saltas in Black. Is there anywhere to get a discount from AEV?

I think the warn wheels are out, I don't want a 0 offset. I was looking at the method 313 in Titanium but cant find any real world pics. They're almost 10lbs lighter and $60 cheaper than the AEV but have the same BS/Offset.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I thought AEV wheels were made in China, thought I read that on their website.

OP
OP
blau iii

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I thought AEV wheels were made in China, thought I read that on their website.
I did too but if you look on the Q&A at the bottom, it says Italy.
Sponsored

Reactions: Mac