First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Tech
Did anyone try this yet or have a review??
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I ordered one almost 6 weeks ago. As of early this week, they're still telling me "10 to 12 weeks" before shipment. When I say "they're", I'm talking about the AFE representatives themselves. They claim that their suppliers can't get them the parts they need to build the kits.

So, who knows if I'll ever actually get to review it. But if they send me what I ordered which is the AFE Momentum HD CAI with DryFlow filter, I'll post up a review on my YouTube channel.

For what it's worth, they've got a dyno sheet showing 39 lb/ft of torque gained at the rear wheels with the CAI which, if true, is pretty amazing. I'm already running the MBRP cat-back exhaust, so this AFE intake combined with the Banks tuner would make this truck a beast. Well over 500 lb/ft of torque in a 5,200 lb. truck.. whoa!

OP
OP
bigjmain

bigjmain

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Tech
I ordered one almost 6 weeks ago. As of early this week, they're still telling me "10 to 12 weeks" before shipment. When I say "they're", I'm talking about the AFE representatives themselves. They claim that their suppliers can't get them the parts they need to build the kits.

So, who knows if I'll ever actually get to review it. But if they send me what I ordered which is the AFE Momentum HD CAI with DryFlow filter, I'll post up a review on my YouTube channel.

For what it's worth, they've got a dyno sheet showing 39 lb/ft of torque gained at the rear wheels with the CAI which, if true, is pretty amazing. I'm already running the MBRP cat-back exhaust, so this AFE intake combined with the Banks tuner would make this truck a beast. Well over 500 lb/ft of torque in a 5,200 lb. truck.. whoa!

Ok, dang... that is what I'm trying to confirm is their dyno test with intake only. Seems like a reach for sure...

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The only somewhat concrete date I can find is October 4, 2021. This came from Summit Racing which is one of the largest mail-order vendors in the country.

This would line up well with the "10-12 weeks" that AFE keeps telling me.

So at this point I'm going to leave my order intact, but continue to look for other options. Has anybody here seen another CAI for the Ecodiesel yet?? I've thought about making one, but the issue is how to deal with that sensor on the tube near the turbo inlet side. I think it's a crankcase pressure sensor. It's made into a provision on the intake tube. If I can figure out how to deal with that, I could probably make a CAI out of black CPVC pipe.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
is a CAI really needed for the EcoD? the airbox is right next to the hood edge and the air box intake is positioned at the hood edge gap, so it's basically pulling as fresh of air as it can in stock form.

On a side note anyone else not trust that half c hose clamp thing they use to hold the intake tube to the air filter lid? Looks like a good place to let dirt get sucked past.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
is a CAI really needed for the EcoD? the airbox is right next to the hood edge and the air box intake is positioned at the hood edge gap, so it's basically pulling as fresh of air as it can in stock form.

On a side note anyone else not trust that half c hose clamp thing they use to hold the intake tube to the air filter lid? Looks like a good place to let dirt get sucked past.
The factory airbox design sucks (no pun intended). It's sealed against the hood, and from the look of it the only air coming in is what it can draw from the crease between the hood and fender. It's gasping for air so bad that when I'm decelerating I can hear it with my window down.

In addition to that, I've done some testing with a Scan Guage II and what I've seen is that intake air temperatures are 15-20 degrees higher with the factory airbox fully assembled. When I remove the rubber snorkle section and the plastic sheath under it and open the airbox up as much as possible, the air intake temps. decrease considerably. Also, the factory filter is covered by a pre-filter. It's obvious that Jeep was going for off-road protection over air flow and performance/efficiency.

The AFE kit increases power 39 lb/ft per the dyno sheets they posted. Probably because the filter is less restrictive, the ductwork doesn't have the stupid sound baffles inside, and the diameter of the pipe is larger.

As far as the plastic snap ring used on the factory intake...no I hate that thing! It's very hard to get lined up properly when you try to put it back on. I don't like it!

OP
OP
bigjmain

bigjmain

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Tech
The factory airbox design sucks (no pun intended). It's sealed against the hood, and from the look of it the only air coming in is what it can draw from the crease between the hood and fender. It's gasping for air so bad that when I'm decelerating I can hear it with my window down.

In addition to that, I've done some testing with a Scan Guage II and what I've seen is that intake air temperatures are 15-20 degrees higher with the factory airbox fully assembled. When I remove the rubber snorkle section and the plastic sheath under it and open the airbox up as much as possible, the air intake temps. decrease considerably. Also, the factory filter is covered by a pre-filter. It's obvious that Jeep was going for off-road protection over air flow and performance/efficiency.

The AFE kit increases power 39 lb/ft per the dyno sheets they posted. Probably because the filter is less restrictive, the ductwork doesn't have the stupid sound baffles inside, and the diameter of the pipe is larger.

As far as the plastic snap ring used on the factory intake...no I hate that thing! It's very hard to get lined up properly when you try to put it back on. I don't like it!

do you recommend we try pulling that factory stuff out. rubber etc?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
do you recommend we try pulling that factory stuff out. rubber etc?
I'm not going to tell anybody what to do. That rubber seal that meets up against the hood when it's closed is there obviously to help reduce the odds of hydrolocking the engine if you drive across streams or if you hit a water hole at speed. There is risk involved in removing it.

In my case, I know I won't be in water up to my headlights and I won't be pinning the throttle into water holes, so I chose to remove that rubber seal and the plastic piece under it (which requires disassembly of the airbox itself to access the screw and snap releases inside) so that the air going into my airbox is at a more direct angle. I mainly did it for additional flow, but the reduced intake air temperatures was a nice bonus.

I do have an AFE Momentum HD intake kit on order, but it's backordered right now. It appears that the rubber seal on that kit is also removable, so I'll do that when it arrives one day.

OP
OP
bigjmain

bigjmain

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Tech
I'm not going to tell anybody what to do. That rubber seal that meets up against the hood when it's closed is there obviously to help reduce the odds of hydrolocking the engine if you drive across streams or if you hit a water hole at speed. There is risk involved in removing it.

In my case, I know I won't be in water up to my headlights and I won't be pinning the throttle into water holes, so I chose to remove that rubber seal and the plastic piece under it (which requires disassembly of the airbox itself to access the screw and snap releases inside) so that the air going into my airbox is at a more direct angle. I mainly did it for additional flow, but the reduced intake air temperatures was a nice bonus.

I do have an AFE Momentum HD intake kit on order, but it's backordered right now. It appears that the rubber seal on that kit is also removable, so I'll do that when it arrives one day.
Fair enough. Notice any mpg or performance gains since doing it?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fair enough. Notice any mpg or performance gains since doing it?
MPG is really hard to tell because driving patten is a little different each week. But it does run pretty strong. I can't prove that it's stronger now but it ran door to door with a F-150 5.0 Coyote V8 and it put a truck length on a 2008 Ram 2500 Cummins last week. 🙂

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
End of November. Still waiting....

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
So impatient @WXman lol. But seriously I would have lost my mind by now. It’s injection molded plastic. Should not be this long of a ordeal. Have they given you any updates??

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So impatient @WXman lol. But seriously I would have lost my mind by now. It’s injection molded plastic. Should not be this long of a ordeal. Have they given you any updates??
Yes, I have two outstanding orders. One was placed with Extreme Terrain in early June. The second was placed directly with AFE in August. Neither has been shipped. I figure when/if one of them is shipped I'll cancel the other order.

AFE tells me every month when I call "we didn't get enough materials to make all the intakes we hoped, your ship date has been pushed back 30 more days". Every. Single. Month.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Well I hope you get it!
Sponsored