Sponsored

affordable handheld CB radio

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
Can anyone recommend a handheld CB radio?

Before I get flamed.....I know hand held have very little range. I'm just not looking to mount something g permanent. For the couple times(maybe not even) a year where I might need it while at the ohv park a handheld will suit my needs. Plus it seems that CB is giving way to gmrs I dont want to make this a larger investment.

I thought I read so where that one of those chinese radios off amazon could bemprogramed for CB but I dont see any in the right frequency range. That would have been ideal because those things are so cheap they are almost free.
Sponsored

ArmyJeepGuy666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
+1 here. Iā€™m also very interested since I already have a satellite comms device...small radio would be nice as well. Those rugged radio ones are so expensive

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Can anyone recommend a handheld CB radio?

Before I get flamed.....I know hand held have very little range. I'm just not looking to mount something g permanent. For the couple times(maybe not even) a year where I might need it while at the ohv park a handheld will suit my needs. Plus it seems that CB is giving way to gmrs I dont want to make this a larger investment.

I thought I read so where that one of those chinese radios off amazon could bemprogramed for CB but I dont see any in the right frequency range. That would have been ideal because those things are so cheap they are almost free.
The baoufeng can access the Australian CB frequencies which is where I think a lot of the confusion comes in. I have not seen any programmable radios that can access the us cb frequencies. I have ran a baoufeng for gmrs frequencies (I know itā€™s not fully legal but I was broadcasting within the power requirements of those frequencies) even with the squelch all the way up it was still tripping every few seconds with static. Enough to drive you crazy. I donā€™t recommend them.

midland makes great products! I run all their stuff on my rig and canā€™t say enough nice things about them. For around 100$ you can get a gmrs radio from them (they have a 5 watt micro mobile unit) or you can get a lot more power for around 150. This is QUICKLY becoming the new norm for trail rides and is even the official radios of Jeep events now. Both the units above donā€™t require permanent mounting and come with an antenna that is magnetic.

If you are looking for a little more motivation, you can use ā€œvladiator20ā€ for 20% off most purchases anytime. They are a really great company.

OP
OP
361Sean

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I
The baoufeng can access the Australian CB frequencies which is where I think a lot of the confusion comes in. I have not seen any programmable radios that can access the us cb frequencies. I have ran a baoufeng for gmrs frequencies (I know itā€™s not fully legal but I was broadcasting within the power requirements of those frequencies) even with the squelch all the way up it was still tripping every few seconds with static. Enough to drive you crazy. I donā€™t recommend them.

midland makes great products! I run all their stuff on my rig and canā€™t say enough nice things about them. For around 100$ you can get a gmrs radio from them (they have a 5 watt micro mobile unit) or you can get a lot more power for around 150. This is QUICKLY becoming the new norm for trail rides and is even the official radios of Jeep events now. Both the units above donā€™t require permanent mounting and come with an antenna that is magnetic.

If you are looking for a little more motivation, you can use ā€œvladiator20ā€ for 20% off most purchases anytime. They are a really great company.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad you brought up the point of jeep "oficially" going with gmrs. I read that too. I was speaking with a guide and asked about this and his reply was that jeep jamboree is now sponsored by Midland and gmrs is the new frequency. But the guide said Midland didnt give any radios to the guides and they dont want to have to buy them so they are going to continue to use what they have. CB. And that's why I want it to be affordable because who knows. Thanks again.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I've used a Cobra for years, I got a kit that came with a mag mount that worked fine for my YJ.

I don't see the kit any longer at AMZ, but this model: https://smile.amazon.com/Cobra-HH50-Wxst-Earphone-Reduction/dp/B078KB51XN/

Lapel mic and a charger is all I've needed. Works fine.

My Jeep buddies all have permanent mounts and all that jazz, I haven't had a trail rig with locking doors in over five years so I don't keep gear in the vehicle. The Tuffy console would be fine except I just don't care.

Good to know about GMRS taking over. And yeah the Baofeng is for fun not work, a buddy programmed mine with all the local LE freqs, he's really into that. I got bored after 15 min, at least it was cheap.

I

Thanks for the info. I'm glad you brought up the point of jeep "oficially" going with gmrs. I read that too. I was speaking with a guide and asked about this and his reply was that jeep jamboree is now sponsored by Midland and gmrs is the new frequency. But the guide said Midland didnt give any radios to the guides and they dont want to have to buy them so they are going to continue to use what they have. CB. And that's why I want it to be affordable because who knows. Thanks again.

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
I picked up this kit:

Jeep Gladiator affordable handheld CB radio E0BB624D-04F0-4FE4-9E32-FB76AA6A973A

I needed one for a local group that still uses CB and for a Jeep Jamboree this year. Only warning is that depending on your installed accessories youā€˜ll be pressed to find a spot to place the external antenna.

If memory serves you can sign up for an account, place it in your cart and leave the site. Theyā€™ll send you an abandonment email for 10% off. Itā€™s out of stock now but you might be able to source it from Amazon or 4wheel parts.

OP
OP
361Sean

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great point about the magnet. Half the truck is aluminum and the other half is plastic. What's the work around? The hood?

OP
OP
361Sean

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyway I'm leaning towards the midland 75-822. Its 100 bucks but it can plug into the jeep to save on batteries. It can also be a hand held. Like I said above, not sure where to put a magnet.

Thanks to all who responded. Your help is appreciated .

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
Anyway I'm leaning towards the midland 75-822. Its 100 bucks but it can plug into the jeep to save on batteries. It can also be a hand held. Like I said above, not sure where to put a magnet.

Thanks to all who responded. Your help is appreciated .
Iā€™ll be mounting mine to an a-pillar bracket next to my aux lights and running the cord through a front window.

The Cobra came with a 12v adaptor also.
Jeep Gladiator affordable handheld CB radio B0671F3F-BFE0-41B6-AE67-9F9D55360CC8

OP
OP
361Sean

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea that's perfect. I was going to ask you about the power adapter. I didnt see any mention of it 8n the link you posted.

Cool driveway! Love the stone work.
Sponsored