Aftermarket Front Bumper and Winch ????s for a mall crawler

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
I have a JTR with plastic bumper. I am going to change the bumper and add a winch but have questions.

First, I want a bumper where the winch is down, "in" the bumper and barely seen. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this verses the winch that sits on top of the bumper. I don't want the winch (or anything) to block airflow and I like the winch being mostly out of sight.

Any reason to avoid EAG (or similar) brand of bumper found on amazon/ebay?

Since I've never owned a winch, any real advantage of a 9K, 10K, or 12K? Obviously, more weight/power. Looking at the usual lower cost Badland, Smitty brands on that.

Finally, yes search is my friend and I've looked through lots of pages on the JL side.
Sponsored

DropW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Kia Sephia , 2007 Vulcan 900
9ZPgRsC.png

The 3 Harpoon winch system + standard back up winch . Just in case you need to latch onto a few things to get you going again . All the rage for mall crawlers these days . However they are not "out of sight" as you would have liked at all ... Actually the complete opposite of what you are looking for, but a dang good mall crawler system nevertheless !

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Wrangle Unlimited Rubicon
I've used Rockhard bumpers. They look great, are tough, have excellent mounting points for D-ring shackles, can be flat towed and have a lower winch mounting location.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
What ever you do, figure out how to use a winch correctly and safely. Even a mall crawler may be called into duty and you don’t want yourself or your JT or anyone else damaged by incorrect winching. Be safe!

Sponsored

OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
I plan to watch YouTube for preferred methods of winch usage. Living Florida, mud is more likely than rocks.

Mostly wondering if I’m missing something about where, on a bumper, the winch is located. I prefer a hidden winch and don’t want to find out later that on top and exposed is “ better”.

gladiatormotorsports

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gladiator-motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch
Occupation
Owner
I have a JTR with plastic bumper. I am going to change the bumper and add a winch but have questions.

First, I want a bumper where the winch is down, "in" the bumper and barely seen. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this verses the winch that sits on top of the bumper. I don't want the winch (or anything) to block airflow and I like the winch being mostly out of sight.

Any reason to avoid EAG (or similar) brand of bumper found on amazon/ebay?

Since I've never owned a winch, any real advantage of a 9K, 10K, or 12K? Obviously, more weight/power. Looking at the usual lower cost Badland, Smitty brands on that.

Finally, yes search is my friend and I've looked through lots of pages on the JL side.
https://www.gladiatormotorsport.com/product/spartacus-stubby-bumper

something like that what you are thinking as far as your bumper goes?

Also I would go synthetic rope on your winch. Stay away from smittybilt and rough country they are Chinese made.

mile marker or warn is the way to go. American made and reliable

https://www.gladiatormotorsport.com/product/mile-marker-winches

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plan to watch YouTube for preferred methods of winch usage. Living Florida, mud is more likely than rocks.

Mostly wondering if I’m missing something about where, on a bumper, the winch is located. I prefer a hidden winch and don’t want to find out later that on top and exposed is “ better”.
I prefer the lower mount. The Rockhard bumper that I use is the https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90211.htm bumper, which has the lower winch mount. They have stubby versions as well. That keeps it out of the radiator's air flow so that it won't impede cooling. Also, if you do need to winch your vehicle out of a "stuck" condition you will most likely want to pull up, rather than down, to lift your vehicle out of the mud or whatever. A lower winch mounting position is better for that.

I didn't go with synthetic. I stuck to steel cable. Synthetic is nice but it doesn't hold up to the sun like steel does and will degrade over time. You don't want to finally need to use your winch and find out that the line has dried out and won't hold up. If you use it frequently, synthetic is great but for my rare use I prefer the longevity of steel cable.

Gladiator-02.jpg

Djkemeneur

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
I prefer the lower mount. The Rockhard bumper that I use is the https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90211.htm bumper, which has the lower winch mount. They have stubby versions as well. That keeps it out of the radiator's air flow so that it won't impede cooling. Also, if you do need to winch your vehicle out of a "stuck" condition you will most likely want to pull up, rather than down, to lift your vehicle out of the mud or whatever. A lower winch mounting position is better for that.

I didn't go with synthetic. I stuck to steel cable. Synthetic is nice but it doesn't hold up to the sun like steel does and will degrade over time. You don't want to finally need to use your winch and find out that the line has dried out and won't hold up. If you use it frequently, synthetic is great but for my rare use I prefer the longevity of steel cable.

Gladiator-02.jpg

Do you have a view with trailcam?

I like this bumper!

Thanks

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a view with trailcam?

I like this bumper!

Thanks
No, I don't have a shot of the trailcam view. But without the lights the view is just as if the bumper isn't there. With the lights I get a good shot between the lights but the lights do bracket the image. It is still a useful view with the lights.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My setup... And yes, mine is mostly a DD/mall-crawler, but it does see off-road use regularly. It is still a 4x4 truck, so I use it as such (hunting, fishing, recreational shooting, exploring, etc...).

24F93538-B081-4736-BFDD-42949DFD7126.jpeg
45A1AACC-8090-4469-9254-8AE5CB5A43B7.jpeg
20666F12-E6CA-4635-9445-790498A3A126.jpeg

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I also prefer the lower mount. This one on the factory bumper.

2B4C01FF-3E8F-4E33-AF1A-0700D495ADB1.jpeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

1. What bumper is this?
Fab Fours Stubby with a (NOS - new old stock) Warn 9.5XP. I bought that winch new in 2006, and it stayed unopened in the box since then, until I installed it on my Jeep last Saturday (14 years). I bought 2 of them for an offroad project that never came to be, and I ended up selling the truck, and selling one of the winches, and kept that one.

I got mine from PartsHawk on eBay... They were cheaper a few weeks ago. I bought mine for $400 after taxes and PayPal fees. They have gone up since then, apparently due to popularity.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fab-Fours-JL18-B4752-1-Stubby-Bumper-Fits-18-20-Gladiator-Wrangler-JL/254470082329?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Three things I can guarantee... 1.) You'll love the bumper, and it's strong as hell, and the fit & finish is excellent. 2.) Installing the factory fog lights is a pain in the ass, be prepared to cut the top plastic on the mount (doesn't affect anything) to get the mounting holes to line up, and removing the harness from the factory bumper requires complete disassembly to get it out. And 3.) you're UPS guy will hate you for ordering it...It's heavy duty! :CWL:

But, all that said, it's worth it! :like:

Glenn671

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fab Fours Stubby with a (NOS - new old stock) Warn 9.5XP. I bought that winch new in 2006, and it stayed unopened in the box since then, until I installed it on my Jeep last Saturday (14 years). I bought 2 of them for an offroad project that never came to be, and I ended up selling the truck, and selling one of the winches, and kept that one.

I got mine from PartsHawk on eBay... They were cheaper a few weeks ago. I bought mine for $400 after taxes and PayPal fees. They have gone up since then, apparently due to popularity.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fab-Fours-JL18-B4752-1-Stubby-Bumper-Fits-18-20-Gladiator-Wrangler-JL/254470082329?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Did your stock fog lights go on easy?
Sponsored