Sponsored

Aftermarket SKID PLATE options

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
What aftermarket Skid Plate options have you seen and/or purchased?

Here's what the JEEP website starts us with:
2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Capability-Skid-Plates.jpg.image.1440.jpg

There are some companies offering aftermarket options which I'll start posting after this one.

Mopar 82215183 Front Bumper Skid Plate for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT - this is standard on the Gladiator (and others?):
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-bumper-skid-plate-jeep-wrangler-jl
mopar-82215183-rubicon-bumper-skid-plate-jeep-wrangler-jl-installed-zoom.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Rock Hard offers this steel Skid Plate system:

RH-80508-2T_900x.jpg

ROCK HARD 4X4™ COMPLETE BELLYPAN SKID PLATE SYSTEM WITH DUAL CROSSMEMBERS FOR JEEP GLADIATOR JT 3.6L 2020 - CURRENT [RH-80508]

• 3/16" Thick Steel
  • 100% Bolt on Install
  • Interlocking Skid System
  • Black Powder Coat Finish
  • 100% Made in USA
  • Lifetime Warranty
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-80508.htm

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What aftermarket Skid Plate options have you seen and/or purchased?

Here's what the JEEP website starts us with:
2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Capability-Skid-Plates.jpg.image.1440.jpg

There are some companies offering aftermarket options which I'll start posting after this one.

Mopar 82215183 Front Bumper Skid Plate for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT - this is standard on the Gladiator (and others?):
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/front-bumper-skid-plate-jeep-wrangler-jl
mopar-82215183-rubicon-bumper-skid-plate-jeep-wrangler-jl-installed-zoom.jpg
Bottom one for the Rubicon steel bumper - looking for a front skid plate for JT with the stock, non-steel, Rubicon bumper or the Overland. The stock Rubicon skid plate should fit the Overland from what I've found by crawling under a few. .

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
For wheeling, this jeep is going to bottom out. I'd prefer steel.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For wheeling, this jeep is going to bottom out. I'd prefer steel.
Steel is obviously going to be a lot more weight. Why do you prefer it over aluminum?

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 JLUR, 1997 Wrangler Sport
For me I would gravitate to aluminum skids. I have no experience with them yet only steel Teraflex on the TJ. My thought is light weight and will not rust.

I'm sold on aluminum after seeing how well it held up on Stepchild at Lite Brite Nation. I think it was Metalcloak. They showed skids being removed on their long arm build at Rock Krawler. And after being beaten to hell and back, the skids bolted right back on after long arm install was complete.

I checked Metalcloak to see if they offered anything yet for the JT as far as full belly armor. Nothing as of now or I would have provided a link with image to add to this post.

I did have aluminum skids on a race quad once that took a beating and held up great. I appreciated how lightweight they were.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I might choose aluminum as well - there's a lot of aluminum and aluminum alloy out there taking a beating. Aluminum isn't aluminum..... there are so many "numbers" referencing various alloys and strengths.
I may tend to disagree on the rust bit - aluminum oxidizes badly unless treated - anodized, powder coated, etc. otherwise the white fluff on many alloys would annoy you - and eat pits into it.
Steel rusting - you wanna see the skid plates under the cars I have in my shop? One is a 1982 (my show car) and the other an 83 I'm working on - slid plates are solid steel, and no rust. The skid plates under my own car don't even have any pits from rust.
I have a couple of spares on my shelves as well - the transfer case skid plate and the axle disconnect skid plate from similar cars - no rust. (It's in part about keeping them clean and keeping stuff from sitting on them)
For me it would be weight - acknowledging that generally speaking the steel would take more of a beating gauge for gauge but you could use more aluminum and still save weight and be plenty strong.
BUT - I'd want the aluminum treated to prevent that ugly white powdery oxidation that happens when exposed.
The bumpers on the cars in my shop were anodized, on my own - painted nicely. 40 years, no oxidation or other issues. It, too, can last and be strong.

Sponsored

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
Steel is obviously going to be a lot more weight. Why do you prefer it over aluminum?
I should've clarified, thanks for calling me on it.

I prefer steel underneath based on personal experience and, admittedly, bias. I'm coming to the JT from a WK I built for wheeling, which is another long wheel base vehicle. I have the underside of the WK completely covered in steel and seeing what the rocks in the Colorado mountains have done to those skids, I can't imagine aluminum holding up. I've also seen aluminum bumpers dented and bent where, I don't think, a steel bumper would've suffered the same fate.

But, I'm glad to be proven wrong. Some of the other comments here on durability are very promising and I'll be glad to learn more from others with firsthand experience with aluminum. I, too, am conscious of weight and decided to try an aluminum bumper for that reason. I went with steel rock sliders, though.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
For me I would gravitate to aluminum skids. I have no experience with them yet only steel Teraflex on the TJ. My thought is light weight and will not rust.

I'm sold on aluminum after seeing how well it held up on Stepchild at Lite Brite Nation. I think it was Metalcloak. They showed skids being removed on their long arm build at Rock Krawler. And after being beaten to hell and back, the skids bolted right back on after long arm install was complete.

I checked Metalcloak to see if they offered anything yet for the JT as far as full belly armor. Nothing as of now or I would have provided a link with image to add to this post.

I did have aluminum skids on a race quad once that took a beating and held up great. I appreciated how lightweight they were.
Metalcloak skid plates are zinc coated steel, not aluminum.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase