Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
I had a JKU for the last 7 years and had the hardtop, a Trektop NX and a bimini with a tonneau and a rear window. I had (have) an electric top lift in my garage to pull the thing into the rafters, but there appears to be nothing out there from anyone on a soft-top option for less that $1500 from MOPAR. I didn't mind paying 800 bucks for my Trektop from Bestop, but seriously, the JT top is tiny compared to a jku and the best Bestop is doing is offering the replacement for the freedom panels for $850! or the oem for full price.

Has anyone seen or heard anything on any soft-top options outside of OEM? It rains at random here in Houston- every few hours it seems, and i want to take the shell off.

BTW- freedom panels are a pain in the ass in a JT if you have anyone in the backseat. At least in the JKU you could tie them up with the strap on the oem-bag in the cargo area when they were off. You cant exactly throw these things in the bed to slide around in the current oem bag.
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I had a JKU for the last 7 years and had the hardtop, a Trektop NX and a bimini with a tonneau and a rear window. I had (have) an electric top lift in my garage to pull the thing into the rafters, but there appears to be nothing out there from anyone on a soft-top option for less that $1500 from MOPAR. I didn't mind paying 800 bucks for my Trektop from Bestop, but seriously, the JT top is tiny compared to a jku and the best Bestop is doing is offering the replacement for the freedom panels for $850! or the oem for full price.

Has anyone seen or heard anything on any soft-top options outside of OEM? It rains at random here in Houston- every few hours it seems, and i want to take the shell off.

BTW- freedom panels are a pain in the ass in a JT if you have anyone in the backseat. At least in the JKU you could tie them up with the strap on the oem-bag in the cargo area when they were off. You cant exactly throw these things in the bed to slide around in the current oem bag.
Bestop pretty much told us that they have no plans to do anything at this time for the JT beyond sunrider or oem. I agree this is crap but I just broke down and ordered a sunrider from Northridge4x4(using their discount, free shipping and the month long $200 rebate) I looked into the softop and unless someone near you is willing to part with it, they are way too expensive and ugly how they look with not being flat ( I don’t like the Safari look)

no news from any other soft top maker including the quadratec guys.

hopefully I’m wrong and someone has news of something.

OP
OP
Indavis01

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Bestop pretty much told us that they have no plans to do anything at this time for the JT beyond sunrider or oem. I agree this is crap but I just broke down and ordered a sunrider from Northridge4x4(using their discount, free shipping and the month long $200 rebate) I looked into the softop and unless someone near you is willing to part with it, they are way too expensive and ugly how they look with not being flat ( I don’t like the Safari look)

no news from any other soft top maker including the quadratec guys.

hopefully I’m wrong and someone has news of something.
That's Brutal- still 650 is harsh for the little flip back sunrider part of the hardtop. I had that from Rugged Ridge for 200 bucks on my JKU. I guess its the same for the JLU as well.

If they are selling 15k of Gladiators a quarter or 60k a year, it might not be worth it to make aftermarket that competes with the OEM. It sucks that Besttop is OEM- they would have made one for half the price. Like another poster here, Ive had boats that had custom vinyl for less than 1k, I can't imagine even with the engineering that something can't be fashioned for around a grand vs- 1500 for the OEM. If we can get a vinyl guy to do the initial, I am sure there is a niche market there for these things.

GOT16

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sting Gray
I was in the same boat - waiting for aftermarket that was cheaper and looked better.
Being April and 80 degrees today, I gave in and LUCKILY found a great deal from a forum member.
$1150 brand new in box is a very fair deal.
I can deal with the looks to have the ease of use.
The sunrider seems cool, but I like the different options with the soft top and feel it will be taken off a lot more than the hard top would be.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I broke down and got a Mopar Twill top NIB off FB marketplace for $1149 shipped via Fastenal Blue Lane Freight. Install is a bit of a PIA and looks a bit weird flipped back on top but overall happy with it. Couldn’t wait for aftermarket to catch up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Indavis01

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I broke down and got a Mopar Twill top NIB off FB marketplace for $1149 shipped via Fastenal Blue Lane Freight. Install is a bit of a PIA and looks a bit weird flipped back on top but overall happy with it. Couldn’t wait for aftermarket to catch up.
Thats a great Deal, I have been looking around here but cheapest I've seen is 1400 without shipping. I am actually pretty disappointed in the cost associated with any of the tops- Similar tops (bimini, and anything from Bestop) are twice the price as a JKU, for half the materials. Like the trucks themselves have significantly dropped in retail price, I expect the tops will be soon. The markets at work.

I have to hand it to some of the vendors though, Like Lange- they offer a retrofit kit for the Hoist-A-Top that is 100 bucks to convert a JKU setup to a JL or a JT setup without trying to sell you a whole new kit. And that whole new kit is roughly the same price as the JK and JL.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I just put on the Mopar Premium soft top for the first time on Rubicon JT. It is a high quality piece and a great fit. After driving around with the hard top for 7K miles, I am impressed with the lack of noise, and tight fit of the soft top. It really is well engineered. I am glad I bought it last fall, and it will be on until winter comes again.

I also bought the rear window bag. Here is a pic with the top down and the back window bag and rear posts stored out of sight in the bed. It is a lot of fun cruising around like this.

vp4Qwn.jpg

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thats a great Deal, I have been looking around here but cheapest I've seen is 1400 without shipping. I am actually pretty disappointed in the cost associated with any of the tops- Similar tops (bimini, and anything from Bestop) are twice the price as a JKU, for half the materials. Like the trucks themselves have significantly dropped in retail price, I expect the tops will be soon. The markets at work.

I have to hand it to some of the vendors though, Like Lange- they offer a retrofit kit for the Hoist-A-Top that is 100 bucks to convert a JKU setup to a JL or a JT setup without trying to sell you a whole new kit. And that whole new kit is roughly the same price as the JK and JL.
I just reused my JKU Lange too hoist. Fast forward to 4:25.

OP
OP
Indavis01

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just reused my JKU Lange too hoist. Fast forward to 4:25.
This weekend further re-iterated why you need a real top here in East Texas- 0% chance of rain 85 and sunny, Until it wasn't. Not a single forecast had any rain, but at 3pm it was dumping and half hour later 80 and sunny again, and 6 pm same thing.

I Finally found a premium top here in Houston and was able to get the guy down to 1250, most are asking 1500-1600. Thanks for the video post on putting on the new top. I have to reposition my Lange lift in the garage so that I can use it with the Gladiator- I have it too far back in the garage for the truck bed. Once thats done I'll post some updated pix.

Sponsored

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
What's advantage of twill?
Just looks nice, and generally insulates better. Also less likely to get that "flag in a hurricane" effect on the highway compared to sailcloth. The OEM "premium" soft top is twill.

I actually decided to give this a try instead just because of the price:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastert...jt/msp-bimini-plus-windstopper-combo-jt-twill

Already got it, and it looks really well made! I'll post how it works out, and if no bueno I'll try the more expensive full top.

ewc23

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Just looks nice, and generally insulates better. Also less likely to get that "flag in a hurricane" effect on the highway compared to sailcloth. The OEM "premium" soft top is twill.

I actually decided to give this a try instead just because of the price:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastert...jt/msp-bimini-plus-windstopper-combo-jt-twill

Already got it, and it looks really well made! I'll post how it works out, and if no bueno I'll try the more expensive full top.
Thanks. Definitely let us know.

I got in touch with a technician at the manufacturer (Bruce). I called the 800# on RR site and they ultimately gave me direct phone # to the Mfg and after brief discussion that lady sent me to a product technician.

He explained that while they did not include straps or tethers to roll the back forward while driving, it is possible. It can be rolled forward while parked (wtf?) but not tethered down for driving. He did add that you could add straps/velcro/bungees of your own to accomplish this. I am thinking maybe using a few small ratchet straps as a solution? TBD until I see it...

I think I am going to take the plunge. There is a 30 day return policy if you buy it direct.

My end goal is to install this in early spring, store my hardtop until the end of the summer, and then swap back for late fall/winter. Of course this all depends on (a) am I savvy enough to install/remove on my own and (b) how much time it will take to remove at the end of the season. This would enable me to have "on the fly-ish" weather protection if rain pops up on a day I am driving open air and doesn't require a 2nd person which the hard top removal requires for me.

I am getting some other work done on my Jeep the next 1-2 weeks and then will order the top. Will report back.

PS If anyone has any experiential advice to share on soft top installs I am all ears, anything to help me not snap out of frustration from the mediocre install instructions they provide.

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
I think I am going to take the plunge. There is a 30 day return policy if you buy it direct.
Good to know! Yes, post pics too. From the limited pics I've found, I really like how it looks compared to the OEM top, and I'll probably use it bimini style most of the time so my head doesn't roast. Thinking about combining it with soft half-doors too because we had a blast cruising around doorless last summer, but the zero offset wheels with 35s like to throw sand in the back seat. LOL
Sponsored