Sponsored

Aftermarket Trailer Brakes?

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
I bet if you look on your axles you will find a spot to attach calipers. Your best bet would be installing electric brakes because with hydraulic brakes you would need to change the tongue. I would contact the trailer manufacturer to see if you can buy a brake kit from them, that's what I did when I added brakes to the second axle on my boat trailer.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I’m not sure what you are asking. Aftermarket brakes for what application? For a specific trailer?

Would need more information.

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
Since it has gotten so much attention here on the board, I am guessing the OP is asking about an aftermarket trailer brake controller. If that is the case, then I would recommend the Prodigy P2 or P3. Both are proportional (which is what you want), Both will operate Electric over Hydraulic brakes (although I doubt anyone pulling with a Gladiator is pulling a trailer EOH brakes). The P3 has a more detailed display and a few extra features. Both plug and play. There is a plug under the dash of that you you plug the the wiring harness into, that way you don't have to cut and splice wires. I think for jeep you want eh 3045-P harness.

The RF controlled one looks interesting--that one wasn't available the last time I installed trailer brakes. You don't even need to plug it in under the dash. The brains of it are back on the trailer.

If that is not the case, then disregard this post :)

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 that I use in my JKU. If the Mopar brake isn't out when I get my truck then I'll just carry my Tekonsha over... it works great, I strongly endorse it. Trucks nowadays have a plugin there that you can splice easily to aftermarket brake controllers... so I don't expect it to be tricky.

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
Who here has actually installed an electric brake controller? Please speak up since my dealer says there is no plug and play wiring harness. All trucks typically come with a short wiring harness in the glove box which makes it super easy set up. Even my JL does not have a plug and play set and my dealer claims nothing for the JK and JL. And if you have a part number that would be great.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Who here has actually installed an electric brake controller? Please speak up since my dealer says there is no plug and play wiring harness. All trucks typically come with a short wiring harness in the glove box which makes it super easy set up. Even my JL does not have a plug and play set and my dealer claims nothing for the JK and JL. And if you have a part number that would be great.
Ugh, that does not please me. I know it's cool to say "a towing package should have a trailer brake" but I'll step back one tier and say it should at least have the wiring set up for easy integration. I'm banking on that functionality and won't buy til its there.

All that being said, it was a dealer/salesman... so who knows how accurate it is. I'll be watching this thread hopefully.

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
I think your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. There is pics on another thread that shows the jeep side of the connector.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I can confirm no plug in for the JK. (There is a 7 pin MOPAR wire harness available - I installed one) Obviously won't work for JT.....

Sponsored

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
So I am currently in the middle of installing a REDARC Tow Pro Elite into my JTR. I can confirm that the wiring is indeed in place under the dash and above where the clutch pedal would be if it were a manual. But the Tekonsha 3045P harness I have seen mentioned elsewhere DOES NOT PLUG IN to the gladiator wiring. I did however order one from Redarc that is made for a Dodge Ram 1500-3500 from years 15-17 and Ram 4500-5500 from years 16-18 and it does plug into the Gladiator harness. This harness from Redarc will make the wiring aspect of the installation plug and play with no splicing if using the Redarc controller and wiring adapter. I'm sure other brands of brake controllers make the same harness that will make it plug and play with their controller if you are not planning to use the Redarc controller.

I am trying to install it in the dash in place of the 12v outlet which is where they showed in pics initially of the now unavailable factory brake controller. The hole for the 12v outlet is too large to capture the Redarc universal insert panel that I bought so I am going to try the panel they make for the Chevy Colorado as the dimensions I found for it online match the opening for the gladiators 12v plug. It looks like either the Redarc panel or the dash opening will need a minor mod to it as the alignment pins are 90Âş apart from each other. No big deal, just an 1/8" notch needs to be filed in. I do not have the Chevy panel yet but will tomorrow, if it works I will do a write up of the whole install detailing the removal of the 12v outlet from the dash panel as it is the hardest part of the install. If the Chevy panel does not fit then I will have a friend make one on his 3D printer.

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for replying I have inquired to Jeep care and they are looking into why their is not a specific wiring harness plug and play for any brake controller. They as you claim their is a wiring harness stuffed up inside the drivers side panel. I could not find it and it would seem to me the wiring would be plugged in with just loose wires dangling so you can splice any brake controller

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this the wiring harness your taking about?
1A5DB96C-55D2-4065-9190-B99D6D6E1BEC.png

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The following pics show the Redarc harness made for the 15-17 Ram vs the Tekonsha 3045p harness. Funny thing is is that they will plug into each other...

Tekonsha harness. The grey plug on the left is also the exact plug to look for under the dash and above where the clutch pedal is or would be. Black plug on right plugs directly into a Tekonsha controller.
23178822-1896-4158-8136-CA867F86C1DD.jpeg

Redarc Harness grey plug on left plugs into grey plug shown above that is found under the dash Black plug on right plugs directly into Redarc controller
4D4B9434-5BE1-47FA-9E8A-578F9819ACC6.jpeg

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this the wiring harness your taking about?
1A5DB96C-55D2-4065-9190-B99D6D6E1BEC.png

Thats it. The plug in the gladiator is above the clutch pedal, or where it would be if you dont have one. Mine was pointing upwards and was kinda hard to find.

24E22B59-0964-4B74-AAE6-BB523B61C86F.jpeg
Sponsored