First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport w/ Max Tow, 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Business Quality Consultant
Started having this issue the other day. So it's about 90 degrees here right now and you can imagine what the temperature inside the cab is like after a full day in the sun. Go to turn on the AC in Auto mode and it blows but only air not cold air. I decided to give it a few minutes but 10 mins later I decide it's not going to blow cold. Putting it into A/C mode and off of Auto doesn't change anything. This is at 11K miles so far. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Started having this issue the other day. So it's about 90 degrees here right now and you can imagine what the temperature inside the cab is like after a full day in the sun. Go to turn on the AC in Auto mode and it blows but only air not cold air. I decided to give it a few minutes but 10 mins later I decide it's not going to blow cold. Putting it into A/C mode and off of Auto doesn't change anything. This is at 11K miles so far. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Yes, sort of. A couple of points:
1. I never use auto mode. I switch the air conditioning on manually.
2. Recirculate mode gets much much colder on hot days than fresh air mode.
3. I have noticed that sometimes when things are really hot, the compressor will shut off while in fresh air mode. This happened to me a few times the last two summers while idling . However, This does not happen in recirculate mode, and if the compressor is not turning on, get the truck moving while recirculate mode and it will kick back on.

When my truck was new, ie. 25K miles ago, I brought it in to check the air conditioner function and freon, and they said it is working properly.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
I think youā€™ve got a problem. My JT got nice and cold inside today.

This is my weather:

F7BE58A0-E9ED-4C91-B4A7-D47D0C792E6E.jpeg

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Make sure both set to LO, don't use auto, and use recirculate if it's not keeping up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Highwaystar13

Highwaystar13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport w/ Max Tow, 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Business Quality Consultant
Thanks for the suggestions everyone...so yesterday, magically for no reason at all it worked fine. Maybe it came down to a software glitch and it just needed time to reset. Who knows. I'll post again if it happens again and will probably consult the dealer as well.

Oolacile

First Name
Boobao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none yet
You're lucky if it was a software glitch. I would recommend that you contact your dealer to fix this problem. The reason may be something completely unexpected.
I had the same case with the air conditioner in the car a couple of days ago. It turned out that the evaporator was dirty. I did the same thing, turned to the dealer, and they fixed the problem under warranty. On the same day, I discovered that the aircon not cooling in the house. It was, of course, a complete surprise, but I just called the guys from So cool. I didn't want to be nervous about this and entrusted the case to professionals.

Last edited:

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
It does not need to be set to lo. Set to the temp you want and the system should make the cab that temp. Use auto or manual. Whatever.

If it does not do that, you have a problem.

Simple.
This.
Mine will freeze your hands with the discharge air, and thatā€™s with it in auto, at 100 degrees outside.

Kevin

BaileyW7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
My AC was about 5 pounds low on refrigerant when I got my truck. Iā€™d have the dealer check yours under warranty.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
A couple of days ago (it was about 80 degrees out) I took the temp of mine while on low temp setting with the fan on high. I used an infrared thermometer. Of course, they say these can be off by +/- 3 degrees or so but it was blowing COLD.

4.7 degrees cold.

Jeep Gladiator Air Conditioning Not Cold temp.JPG

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
My AC was about 5 pounds low on refrigerant when I got my truck. Iā€™d have the dealer check yours under warranty.
I find that highly unlikely, as the whole system wonā€™t even hold 5 pounds of refrigerant. Maybe it was 5 ounces low, which would still be a significant fraction of the system capacity.

A couple of days ago (it was about 80 degrees out) I took the temp of mine while on low temp setting with the fan on high. I used an infrared thermometer. Of course, they say these can be off by +/- 3 degrees or so but it was blowing COLD.

4.7 degrees cold.
Iā€™m suspicious of your measurement technique. Design temperature for automotive A/C is about 40 degrees F. At 4.7 degrees, youā€™ll soon ice up the evaporator, regardless of humidity content.

Kevin

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I have no issues with mine keeping the cab very comfortable set at 69 and auto. I've got a Soft Top and its been well nothing but Sun baking hot lately.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It does not need to be set to lo. Set to the temp you want and the system should make the cab that temp. Use auto or manual. Whatever.

If it does not do that, you have a problem.

Simple.
Was in CO when it was in the 90s, and a couple of weeks before that it was 100 here, humid as hell, so humid there was moisture on the outside of our windows of the house. My JT kept up just fine, set to 67 inside, auto mode. I rarely ever have it out of auto mode. Only my wife does that, or if I use defrost. Otherwise it doesn't even work very hard to keep it cool in there.

So anyone who has to do something special to get it cool in the cab of a JT when it's only 95 out, you have a problem. These things will freeze you out if you choose lower temperature settings.
I don't use recirculation or anything special. I leave it in auto, I set my temp,
I've run mine in around town when it was 100 and more - nary a problem.
If yours can't do that, it's broken.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Iā€™m suspicious of your measurement technique. Design temperature for automotive A/C is about 40 degrees F. At 4.7 degrees, youā€™ll soon ice up the evaporator, regardless of humidity content.

Kevin
I thought this was quite basic. You can see in the photo what I was using and where it was aimed in the vent. It was after starting the vehicle with the fan on high and temp set to low. I did not say it maintained this temp over time, as I did not test it over minutes, just seconds. But, this clearly is what the infrared thermometer read.

If this is an incorrect technique to measure the temperature of the air coming out of a vent, then please the advise proper way to check the temperature.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I thought this was quite basic. You can see in the photo what I was using and where it was aimed in the vent. It was after starting the vehicle with the fan on high and temp set to low. I did not say it maintained this temp over time, as I did not test it over minutes, just seconds. But, this clearly is what the infrared thermometer read.

If this is an incorrect technique to measure the temperature of the air coming out of a vent, then please the advise proper way to check the temperature.
Youā€™ll want to use a real thermometer, put it in the vent, let it run for at least 10 minutes. Thereā€™s no chance in hell that the air coming out your vent is 4.7F. Celsius would make sense, but no car AC on earth puts out below freezing air. 4.7 degree air directed at your face would injure people.
Sponsored