Airbag light - Passenger seat removal

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
I've removed the passenger seat developing my overlanding rig and now I have an airbag light on the dash. I don't care about the light itself too much, just curious if all the remaining airbags would work in an accident? I couldn't imagine the system not detecting one airbag would shut down the whole system.

Also, I've read that a resister on the yellow airbag plug that connects to the seat would possible turn off the light. Anyone have any idea how many Ohms it's looking for?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've removed the passenger seat developing my overlanding rig and now I have an airbag light on the dash. I don't care about the light itself too much, just curious if all the remaining airbags would work in an accident? I couldn't imagine the system not detecting one airbag would shut down the whole system.

Also, I've read that a resister on the yellow airbag plug that connects to the seat would possible turn off the light. Anyone have any idea how many Ohms it's looking for?
Can you use an ohm meter and measure the resistance across the terminals in that connector?
I thought it was a switch - open or closed, but apparently it actually measures weight.
It's also going to trigger the passenger seat belt light, would it not? Or maybe THAT one is just a switch.....

OP
OP
Zybane

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Ya I'm not sure if I just need to install a resister on the airbag connector to cure the airbag light or if I need ALL of the under-seat connections connected to cure it.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Can you use an ohm meter and measure the resistance across the terminals in that connector?
I thought it was a switch - open or closed, but apparently it actually measures weight.
It's also going to trigger the passenger seat belt light, would it not? Or maybe THAT one is just a switch.....
I believe the seatbelt uses a combination of the seat switch and a switch in the buckle.
And the seat SRS detection could still be a switch, just with a stiff spring so that it doesn't detect small children, small dogs, groceries, etc.
However suggestions of using a bypass resistor do argue against a switch...

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the seatbelt uses a combination of the seat switch and a switch in the buckle.
And the seat SRS detection could still be a switch, just with a stiff spring so that it doesn't detect small children, small dogs, groceries, etc.
However suggestions of using a bypass resistor do argue against a switch...

Kevin
Yeah, the seat belt is a two-part system.
If there is there weight in the seat?
If true is the belt buckled?
If False trigger annoying beep and light.

Could the resistor thing be like so much on the web- someone tried it and it worked even though in reality the sensor is simply a weight triggered switch and a jumper may have worked?
There's so much out there that's mud that happened to stick but there's another solution?
Dunno.............. never tried it.
Me, I'd be so very curious I'd want to know exactly how the sensor worked.
I have re-covered the seats of years ago and found the seat belt trigger to be a simple switch enclosed in a large sealed vinyl bag (I suppose to protect it if your passenger pees while you are doing donuts in the freeway or you hit 150 mph on I80) Anyway, the most interesting part of my putting new rare Pierre Cardin covers on those seats was when I took things apart, the foam and switch had a familiar Pentastar shape embedded in them. It wasn't a MOPAR car.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Anyway, the most interesting part of my putting new rare Pierre Cardin covers on those seats was when I took things apart, the foam and switch had a familiar Pentastar shape embedded in them. It wasn't a MOPAR car.
it was always a surprise working on AMC products: they bought many of their assemblies from other manufacturers.
I wasn’t aware that they bought seats from Chrysler.

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
it was always a surprise working on AMC products: they bought many of their assemblies from other manufacturers.
I wasn’t aware that they bought seats from Chrysler.

Kevin
The 1973 were the first I'd seen of that. Otherwise, most were their own designs and patents.
What people may not realize is that AMC sold Ford and others a lot of the interior parts. They owned some unique patents on materials, and a company that made vinyl and plastic interior parts.

Anyway - I sort of got into this thread as I'm always curious about the functions of certain things - is this a switch? Is it a variable resistance thing? I'd like to see how this turns out.
Sponsored