First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I didn't see a thread for just straight diesel talk, so I figured I'd make one!

We could use this for anything diesel related, including things like:

Such and such lift for the 3.6 works on the diesel JT with a slight modification to piece "X".

Payload/towing talk in regards to the different payloads offered cross the model lines with the diesels. Namely the JTR being the lowest.

Anything ya'll want, but we can have it in one searchable thread.

That being said...I'm looking to add some Decked drawers to mine, and I'm curious to see what the 2" Mopar rear springs load-ratings will be. I wonder if they will do anything to compensate on the rear, or if their main concern is the front. Rumor is still for Nov 1st release date.
Sponsored

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
I didn't see a thread for just straight diesel talk, so I figured I'd make one!

We could use this for anything diesel related, including things like:

Such and such lift for the 3.6 works on the diesel JT with a slight modification to piece "X".

Payload/towing talk in regards to the different payloads offered cross the model lines with the diesels. Namely the JTR being the lowest.

Anything ya'll want, but we can have it in one searchable thread.

That being said...I'm looking to add some Decked drawers to mine, and I'm curious to see what the 2" Mopar rear springs load-ratings will be. I wonder if they will do anything to compensate on the rear, or if their main concern is the front. Rumor is still for Nov 1st release date.
Good idea!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Spacer lifts are my favorite because they do not alter factory coil spring rates. I prefer to keep the high quality factory coils in place on a pickup truck.

As far as payload, the Rubicon has the highest GVWR at 6,450 lbs. but still has the lowest payload rating, often <1,000 lbs. This is because Rubicon is a PIG. There's so much weight there that it just kills the ability to do any real work with the truck. Full size trucks weigh less. It's sad.

Most people don't realize that they'll run out of payload before they run out of towing capacity. I see Gladiator Rubicons all the time that are illegal. Just last week a dude posted a picture of his Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel with 850 lbs. in the truck and a 6,500 lb. boat hooked to the rear. He was SEVERELY overloaded and a Vehicle Enforcement officer around here where I live would have a field day with that guy. I'm sure he was thinking "But my truck has a 950 lb. payload and 6,000 lb. tow rating!" Um, no fella'....it doesn't work that way.

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Spacer lifts are my favorite because they do not alter factory coil spring rates. I prefer to keep the high quality factory coils in place on a pickup truck.

As far as payload, the Rubicon has the highest GVWR at 6,450 lbs. but still has the lowest payload rating, often <1,000 lbs. This is because Rubicon is a PIG. There's so much weight there that it just kills the ability to do any real work with the truck. Full size trucks weigh less. It's sad.

Most people don't realize that they'll run out of payload before they run out of towing capacity. I see Gladiator Rubicons all the time that are illegal. Just last week a dude posted a picture of his Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel with 850 lbs. in the truck and a 6,500 lb. boat hooked to the rear. He was SEVERELY overloaded and a Vehicle Enforcement officer around here where I live would have a field day with that guy. I'm sure he was thinking "But my truck has a 950 lb. payload and 6,000 lb. tow rating!" Um, no fella'....it doesn't work that way.
Hmm, that's interesting. I always tend to shy away from spacers if I'm using the vehicle for off-road purposes. I suppose on a pickup truck (before the JT) used for hauling/towing, spacers would be perfectly acceptable. Now you add in wanting to wheel the JT...I wonder where the line is drawn for spacers.

The engineers design these to work outstandingly in factory form, so installing spacers for mild offloading would probably be ideal.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hmm, that's interesting. I always tend to shy away from spacers if I'm using the vehicle for off-road purposes. I suppose on a pickup truck (before the JT) used for hauling/towing, spacers would be perfectly acceptable. Now you add in wanting to wheel the JT...I wonder where the line is drawn for spacers.

The engineers design these to work outstandingly in factory form, so installing spacers for mild offloading would probably be ideal.
Naaa... go look up Lite Brite's early videos on YouTube. They ran a cheap spacer lift and wheeled the CRAP out of their Rubicon on every trail in America. Spacers are the way to go unless you're doing competition events for $$$>

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Naaa... go look up Lite Brite's early videos on YouTube. They ran a cheap spacer lift and wheeled the CRAP out of their Rubicon on every trail in America. Spacers are the way to go unless you're doing competition events for $$$>
I've seen some of the Lite Brite videos, but I haven't seen the one about spacers. I'll look it up tonight!

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Aren’t you posting this in an entire section devoted to diesel talk?
Not originally, no lol. I didn't even see the diesel section at first. Admins moved it to the right section

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepasaurus_Rex

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link

Kole Miller

First Name
Kole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon jt diesel
Occupation
Dentist
Adam from rock krawler looking under diesel gladiator to take measurements for the pro x 3 inch lift to convert to a 4 link suspension from a stock 5 link and remove the rear track bar. At this time he mentioned the DEF tank may be in the way. So in a few weeks getting there 3 inch lift but may have to wait on the 4 link. For now it will be lifted but remain 5 link on the diesel.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Would love to get more info on the spacer kit. Waiting for my JTRD to arrive and thinking of putting 2.5 spacer kit on it. Not available yet but soon. I see some feel it might be better? Any concerns with the shock extensions? Any other cons? sounds like some good Pro's and some guys having tested it on the trails. I wont be doing any hard core wheeling , mud and chasing hogs and some steep hills. Any insight is appreciated!

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Adam from rock krawler looking under diesel gladiator to take measurements for the pro x 3 inch lift to convert to a 4 link suspension from a stock 5 link and remove the rear track bar. At this time he mentioned the DEF tank may be in the way. So in a few weeks getting there 3 inch lift but may have to wait on the 4 link. For now it will be lifted but remain 5 link on the diesel.
wow that’s potentially terrible news

Advguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel, '19 Volvo XC40
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Got an ARE top for my diesel overland edition today. Also, I’ve driven 1,700 miles so far - city, highway, and a weekend towing my camper up to the NC mountains - overall mpg so far: 31
Jeep Gladiator All Diesel Specific Talk/Topics 19505E43-2193-422C-863E-B947E8618D30
Jeep Gladiator All Diesel Specific Talk/Topics 37B693B8-FE64-4193-BC2F-635B28AA8779
Sponsored