Sponsored

All questions answered on OEM Soft Tonneau Cover?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I was able to take a close look at a soft tonneau cover (on an LE :like:) this morning. Did everybody get all their questions answered around them? Even took some pics of the instructions if needed-
Sponsored

bigbeerdrinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKU Sahara, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I wouldn't mind seeing any pictures you have.

How flimsy is it?

What were your thoughts?

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't mind seeing any pictures you have.

How flimsy is it?

What were your thoughts?
I would not call it flimsy at all (it was Brand-New of course), however it is a woven material & will naturally expand/contract w/ weather + the wind will want to flap it up & down stretching at it. So eventually it will loosen up some. I'm sure all fabric tonneaus do. There is ribbed weatherstripping running down the length of the bed, it was very taught - enough so that I didn't think rain would get in at all. I was able to push my fingers under it but it took a lot of effort. Of course, it's as tight as it will Ever be right now (never heard that one before)
I think it was covered before, but the soft tonneau does Not lock - it is held in place with a heavy piece of weatherstrip that is trapped by the tailgate. After I saw this, I forced the end of the tonneau open, it took approx. 1/2-a-grunt to pull it up. Instructions posted below. Sorry didn't take as many pictures as I thought, guess I was ogling the rest of the LE.

I would say it's good for what it is, a 'reasonably weather-resistant' cover that is lightweight & easy to open.
If you want something secure, look to Diamondback or something more like that product.

Tonneau1.jpg

Tonneau2.jpg

Tonneau3.jpg

Reactions: SKT

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
It actually does lock. there is a red pull strip underneath that has to be pulled once tailgate is open to release locking of it. and it is indeed weather proof, been through a ton of rain recently down here in NW Arkansas, and not moisture inside at all!

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It actually does lock. there is a red pull strip underneath that has to be pulled once tailgate is open to release locking of it. and it is indeed weather proof, been through a ton of rain recently down here in NW Arkansas, and not moisture inside at all!
I mean lock as in 'Keep people from stealing your fishing stuff in your truck bed' lock.
The weekend-warrior position is latched into place (actually there is a red strap at either side, see the 3rd frame of the instructions I posted)
BUT if you walk up to a Gladiator in the parking lot, it is relatively easy to break into the tonneau, just slip your fingers under the edge over the tailgate, and give a good pull straight up. The last 8-10" will flip up, exposing the red pull straps - pull them, and the entire thing can be rolled up.
This product was never intended to be really secure, even if there were a padlock on it, a pocket knife would circumvent that -

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
6A8B7205-7751-48E6-AD06-0CC6BCC76188.jpeg
8B726DD2-1571-4A10-9721-B052CB449298.jpeg
I vaguely recall seeing a picture of a soft tri-folding tonneau cover somewhere on this forum. Try doing s forum search. You may find it rather quickly or maybe not if it was my active immigration or the alcohol or the hard drugs or the old age or maybe I was right. Sorry in advance for any wild goose chase if I am mistaken.

Oh hell I just quickly found it. See this thread.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
@Jake how easy is it to remove? Any water leaks?

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Not my cover. See that thread and ask the person that posted the pictures of their soft tonneau cover. I would tend to think that it would be super easy and fast to put on and to take off. And I would hope that it does a good job of keeping things fairly dry. But that’s just my best guess. Again just ask that person. They should know by now.

Sponsored

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
Disclaimer:
Seems to be 2 versions of the soft cover....the one my Rubi came with is similar to the material used on the soft tops, while Ice Age's one, that I believe he ordered from dealer, is more of a vinyl soft cover.......as fro mine, it is super easy on/off/to open and does a great job keeping stuff high and dry....rolls up the same as above and comes with attached straps to secure while open...never had a pick up before, so new to these accessories, but I really like the look and the functionality of this soft cover!

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the tonneau cover. When we tried to open in it at the ride and drive event, we couldn't open it with 2 people with it latched the right way. The problem is that you have to latch it the right way and it's a little tricky. I did get it down pat enough to show a customer once we get one in. It also matches the soft top really well

MVIMG_20190514_093619.jpg

MVIMG_20190514_093636.jpg

IMG_20190514_093639.jpg

bigbeerdrinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKU Sahara, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I really like the tonneau cover. When we tried to open in it at the ride and drive event, we couldn't open it with 2 people with it latched the right way. The problem is that you have to latch it the right way and it's a little tricky. I did get it down pat enough to show a customer once we get one in. It also matches the soft top really well

MVIMG_20190514_093619.jpg

MVIMG_20190514_093636.jpg

IMG_20190514_093639.jpg
So what is the "right" way to latch it? Hopefully it's not too hard to explain.
Sponsored